Who is the greatest knockout artist of all time?

Von Trier

White Belt
Reaction score
Lk3rimU.jpg

Sonny Liston finished these 12 fights against top contenders and champions in 20 rounds:

Billy Hunter
Julio Mederos
Wayne Bethea
Frankie Daniels
Nino Valdes
Roy Harris
Zora Folley
Albert Westphal
Floyd Patterson x2
Cleveland Williams x2

Not sure at which level those contenders were though you say "top contenders".
I know a guy who finished those 12 contenders in 14 rounds:

Sammy Scuff
David Jaco
Marvis Frazier
Tony Tubbs
Trevor Berbick
Michael Spinks
Carl Williams
Alex Stewart
Henry Tillman
Peter McNeeley
Bruce Seldon
Lou Savarase

... the guy who guesses who put all of them down, receives either a like from me or $5000 cash. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Since it's not limited to HWs, I'd throw out Ruben Olivares and Bennie Brisco. Briscoe knew how to knock bastards out, in addition to having one of the best chins in boxing history.

Is there anyone else who fought both Monzon and Hagler?

Not sure at which level those contenders were though you say "top contenders".
I know a guy who finished those 12 contenders in 14 rounds:

Sammy Scuff
David Jaco
Marvis Frazier
Tony Tubbs
Trevor Berbick
Michael Spinks
Carl Williams
Alex Stewart
Henry Tillman
Peter McNeeley
Bruce Seldon
Lou Savarase

... the guy who guesses who put all of them down, receives either a like from me or $5000 cash. I haven't made up my mind yet.

By the time Tyson started fighting ranked contenders, fights went longer. He still won them convincingly, often by knockout, but they weren't instant demolitions as before. Just as an example, both James Tillis and Tony Tucker went the full 12 as a unanimous decision and Pinklon Thomas and and Tyrell Biggs went 6 and 7 rounds in knockout losses. This was while he was knocking out Holmes in 4 and Spinks in 1. I think this is because Tyson's knockouts were based more on speed and technique, rather than bestial physical strength like Foreman and Liston, who could bulldoze lesser men with their raw power.

Mike Tyson is a meme. Serious replies only.

Last edited:
Sonny Liston fought most guys while they were under 200 pounds...his best k.o was Williams...I highly doubt the 175 / 185 pound guys he had k.o'd earn any merit of that title of best ko artist. Tyson is the best finisher ever to lace them up, and that's what it comes down to along with skill .

Tyson, Louis and Julian Jackson had the most beautiful KOs.

Also love watching Floyd Patterson KOs

Phenomenal boxer with some good knockouts but I hesitate to call him an artist.

If anything, he's a virtuoso when it comes to getting rocked and then fighting BETTER.

Money May. Most of his fights knocked me out.

That's the joke.

Carlos Zarate comes to mind. He got wild sometimes, and his best defense was a good offense. But he put together great combinations with hellacious body punching, and was so fun to watch.

Julian Jackson couldn't outbox top contenders, so his only chance was to knock guys out. As far as reactions from fighters when they get hit, he's very high up. I'm glad someone mentioned Bennie Briscoe. He had the same problem in that his only real chance was to KO guys. He gave Monzon hell for a while with sheet tenacity. Foster had an awesome jab and great reach going for him, and guys looked like they were dead if he connected. He fought a guy from Puerto Rico once and I thought that he honestly killed the dude. The ref continued the count to ten and they had to pry the mouthpiece out.

David Tua comes to mind quickly as well.

Wildredo Gomez
Naseem Hamed

Picking heavyweights as p4p punchers is cheating imo

Wildredo Gomez
Naseem Hamed

Picking heavyweights as p4p punchers is cheating imo
i remember hearing the fight between karate and gomez was a match of the two highest ko/tko ratio's in boxing history. i can't verify that for a fact though

also gaddamn do sonny listens hands look terrifying in that pic i would hate to get clobbered by those.

Back