Who is now ahead in the pound for pound rankings? (Islam-Volk)

Who is ahead pound for pound after UFC 294

• Alexander Volkanovski

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Islam Makhachev

Votes: 50 82.0%

• Total voters

Davidjacksonjones

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
After their first encounter at UFC 284, it was a close fight, and I remember the majority of people still had Volk over Islam pound for pound, due to being the much smaller guy and make it extremely competitive with Volk

This time, it wasn't so competitive, but there's some external factors like Volk having 11 days notice, coming off surgery etc

After UFC 294, who should be ahead in the pound for pound rankings?

1748862149.0.jpg

I had Islam ahead before, but should be clear now.

I think you might be able to make a strong argument if it was another close fight or even if it was a dominant wrestling win by Islam.

But to finish via striking and notably a head kick, man - I think it's purely a Jones vs Islam discussion now.

Volk took the fight, Makhachev finished him, pretty simple to draw a conclusion from that imo.

Islam. Volk accepted the fight, took the risk on short notice, and he got put away in 3 minutes. No argument to be made this time

Definitely would give that spot to Islam now. Volk held onto it for awhile and had some of the greatest championship performances ever but I think it's safe to say Islam is the best fighter in the world at the moment. He's not flashy but holy shit is he effective and dangerous anywhere the fight is.

p4p is about skillsets

it's inherently untestable when you have 2 guys who are in fact not the same size

It's not even necessarily who would win if they were the same size; it's a question of who would be a better fighter overall if size weren't a factor. We all know MMA math doesn't work, one guy might beat another but still not be overall as good.

But certainly a fight between two guys who are not the same size cannot tell you much about who's better p4p. I guess if the smaller guy wins that's a pretty good indication. But a very close fight and quick KO for the bigger guy is within the range of expected outcomes if you have two equally skilled guys one weightclass apart fighting.

Back