Who is aesopian?

Shulom1***

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have seen here, and on bullshido this guy named aesopian. He writes a ton about grappling, as a matter of fact on bullshido, the advanced grappling thread is called the Aesopian BJJ Advanced Grappling forum. On his blog it says that he started training in 2004, went purple 2006, and went brown in 2009. Is that even possible? Is he some kind of genius or something?

He has 8 arms and legs, can run really fast, can hold his breathe for 8 minutes+ and has made love to thousands of women. He is not a who as much as a where.

About | Aesopian

Oli Geddes/Stalkachu on here went white to brown in 4.5 years iirc

I wouldn't say he or Aesopian are geniuses, just good at BJJ.

I am sure there are plenty of examples of similarly rapid progress, though if one trains full time, it shouldn't be too astonishing that one gets faster results than 2 times a week hobbyists.

I don't know him, but his contributions are great so he must be a swell guy.

I have met Aesopian and he does resemble Vishnu. No matter what you try to do, he can beat you. I have heard that he armbarred Chuck Norris's Beard once.

vishnu.jpg

He was a mod here on f12 too.

I'm starting to think Aesopian is less a single person and more a group of people - a secret society of grapplers. Like the Masons or the Priory of Sion. By the time we all learn of their ultimate goal, it will be too late......

I think he also moonlights as the Stig.

For a long time my signature was, "I learned the Brabo Choke from Aesopian."

Come on Mr. Shulom1; We know who this really is.

Actually, I was thinking about him the other day...Are there any famous on line purple belts any more? Ryan Hall and Aesopian made their names while being purple belts.

Where are the purple belt innovators these days?

He (Aesopian) took a lot of crap from guys on the UG back in the day. It seemed like professional jealousy to me.

Really cool dude. An important character in the online jiu jitsu phenomenon.

I find it very funny when forums become beholden to certain personalities. Sometimes that personality is is some celebrity (on this board think Eddie Bravo, Draculinio, or Rickson Gracie). Sometimes it is a character on the forums themselves. The fanboyism can reach hilarious levels.

Anyway, Aesopian posts very fine stuff. He has a facebook page where he posts a lot of stuff, and a website that is very difficult to navigate. From him, I learned an extremely effective D'arce choke because of the series he did on that move. It is now probably my favorite, and one of my most effective subs.

Thanks Aesopian, I frankly don't care who you are, or particularly want to know. You post high quality material that is great for the community. That makes you a good guy in my internet books.

edit: lol at the post above me

Last edited:
Anyone have a link to these Darce techniques he posted?

I have seen here, and on bullshido this guy named aesopian. He writes a ton about grappling, as a matter of fact on bullshido, the advanced grappling thread is called the Aesopian BJJ Advanced Grappling forum. On his blog it says that he started training in 2004, went purple 2006, and went brown in 2009. Is that even possible? Is he some kind of genius or something?

Aesopian, is that you???

Actually, I was thinking about him the other day...Are there any famous on line purple belts any more? Ryan Hall and Aesopian made their names while being purple belts.

Where are the purple belt innovators these days?

He (Aesopian) took a lot of crap from guys on the UG back in the day. It seemed like professional jealousy to me.

Really cool dude. An important character in the online jiu jitsu phenomenon.

I think a big reason you don't see purple belt innovators anymore is because America has a lot of homegrown blackbelts now. Before, not only were their not many, but many people believed that getting a blackbelt was unobtainable for most people.

Now that it's becoming clear that anyone can be a blackbelt someday, and the fact that many blackbelts are starting to put a lot of information on the interwebz, there are not so many purples who have to pick up the slack. Aesopian was doing something that many people weren't doing, and that was putting up well thought out BJJ concepts on the internet. "Most" people accepted that he was doing it as a purple because there weren't other people doing it.

Now there are, so there is no need for purple belt instructionals these days.

Back