Who here has a famous instructor

I train under Din Thomas and Mario Rinaldi.

good peoples.

This was an important lesson my famous instructor taught me...

PERSEVERANCE

by Cesar Gracie

On more than a few occasions it has been asked of me what I look for the most in a student. In my early years of teaching I might have answered that strength, physical endurance, speed or agility were traits to be looked for when determining who would excel or become a future champion. However as the years passed, I realized that there was one trait that exceedingly surpassed the aforementioned ones: Perseverance.

Perseverance is not something you can easily identify or hastily confirm. Only the test of time will determine if someone possesses it and there are no shortcuts to attain it. There have been many who demonstrated incredible natural talent, leaving me impressed with a sense that for them, future great accomplishments were a certainty. However these "certainties" almost always went unrealized.

Then there are the students that seemingly never quit, to whom failure in training and loss in competition is merely a minor setback, to be learned from and not defeated by. Day after day they can be seen improving and applying themselves. Though their progress is not spectacular, it is constant. After some time has passed their skills become formidable and the reality of their accomplishment is undeniable. With average ability and common qualities they gradually cultivate their minds and bodies into a machine. A machine that delivers when called to do so.

Focus has been a word often referred to as what we need for success in any venture. And to an extent, focus is something we can all apply in varying degrees. However focus applied over years or throughout one's career is truly remarkable. The ability to keep focused and persevere through life's distractions separates the champions from the mediocre and the significant from the trivial.

Of course there are those that will take up a discipline for the sake of recreation or are motivated by secondary goals, such as physical conditioning or a variety of other reasons. For them not much should be demanded and less expected. If they achieve their own personal objectives, it is enough. However for those that aspire to the next level, they should first count the cost. Not doing so will merely be a waste of their time and of their instructor?s. We have all at one point or another imagined ourselves in an exalted position, the champion of our domain. The question is have we ever imagined the sacrifices?? Have we really thought about the endless training hours that are required of us? Have we even considered how much time and effort it will take for someone to help us in achieving our goals? To learn something that is worthy of your time cannot be done overnight and in challenging yourself to accomplish something great is gain within itself.

As a teacher of jiu-jitsu it is my job to see that everyone that trains under my guidance receives excellent instruction. But when I see that a student is committed to improving and willing to put in the time and effort to learn, I go that extra step to encourage them and I pay more attention to that student. If they can persevere then they are worthy of that. However, to request an instructor's lifetime of knowledge is no small thing and neither will be the sacrifice.

Thats the kind of article jiu jitsu surfs like me need. Very inspirational for guys like me who have no natural bjj talent and have to work hard for any gains.

I train daily with Cassio Werneck =)

Might be able to swing few questions. we shall see.

I work on a regular basis with

Ricardo Vieira (9x world champion BJJ)
Leozinho Vieira

I speak to them over the net, and they visit the gym often..

although I think any of the most experienced guys in this forum would be more then able to reply to your questions mentioned above

Your lucky to work with those guys, I wanted to go to the Vieira seminar at your gym last year October (if I remember correctly) but couldn't attend because of family business.

Do you think you could ask them if they ever used training aides such as a diary and if so how did they organise it.

Hi Ozybbas, the seminar was great (specially rico's one), Leo should be back in August, there might be another seminat then.

I can tell you straight away that none of them did any log or anything like that. I think a lot of their success comes from their natural hability and their criativity aproach. I think (and this is not just my opinion but the same as most BB's I've trained with) you can't always stick to the techniques you are taught. you need to be creative and improvise. The basics are extremely important, but when you come to a certain level (I would say around purple belt) when you have your basics now, you need to flow, and you cannot flow with strict techniques.. I think that is the biggest asset these guys have.. flow and the way they keep creating new "games" like the guard that ricardinho was working on last time he was here, it was this ocuard position but works like a charm! :)

btw, Im training with sensei Edson himself (5th degree under Carlson) this weekend!!

nice-
My BJJ coach used to be Rani Yahya-
I don't see him around anymore, but Leo and Rani had some battles at the ADCC's

Fernando Margarida comes around now and then and teaches/rolls with us too

Nice. Margarida drops in every once in awhile down at Fabio's in San Diego as well. Are you in LA? Sounds like you might be at Rickson's place? (With your Rani reference and all.)

Hi Ozybbas, the seminar was great (specially rico's one), Leo should be back in August, there might be another seminat then.

I can tell you straight away that none of them did any log or anything like that. I think a lot of their success comes from their natural hability and their criativity aproach. I think (and this is not just my opinion but the same as most BB's I've trained with) you can't always stick to the techniques you are taught. you need to be creative and improvise. The basics are extremely important, but when you come to a certain level (I would say around purple belt) when you have your basics now, you need to flow, and you cannot flow with strict techniques.. I think that is the biggest asset these guys have.. flow and the way they keep creating new "games" like the guard that ricardinho was working on last time he was here, it was this ocuard position but works like a charm! :)

Well if im back in the country by then I will definantly go to that. Did they need an interpreter or was their english ok.

Do the Vieira brothers have any of the physical abilities that some of the other grapplers are famous for. Such as Marcelo, Jacare and Roger whos grip strength are meant to be amazing.

I train under Bobby Southworth (BJJ) and Alex Khanbabian (boxing/kickboxing)..

I used to train @ Ralph Gracie under Sandro "Batata" Santiago..

oh yeah.. and Iuri Cardoso down in Goiania, Brasil for a bit (not really famous but awesome guy anyway)

I train under Bobby Southworth (BJJ) and Alex Khanbabian (boxing/kickboxing)..

I used to train @ Ralph Gracie under Sandro "Batata" Santiago..

oh yeah.. and Iuri Cardoso down in Goiania, Brasil for a bit (not really famous but awesome guy anyway)

Say hi to Bobby for me, we started BJJ together at Cesar's about the same time.

Nice. Margarida drops in every once in awhile down at Fabio's in San Diego as well. Are you in LA? Sounds like you might be at Rickson's place? (With your Rani reference and all.)

It would be killer to train with the Rickson, but no, I'm actually at OCJJ in Lake Forrest, CA...

nice-
My BJJ coach used to be Rani Yahya-
I don't see him around anymore, but Leo and Rani had some battles at the ADCC's

Fernando Margarida comes around now and then and teaches/rolls with us too

That is awesome.

My instructor's instructor is the Canadian respresentative of the Carlson Gracie Team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back