Who here has a famous instructor

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Im wondering if anyone here has a famous instructor and someone from this board can do a mini interview by presenting the questions people on this board have.

Mostly simple questions so not to piss off your instructor. I think its best to get a sort of consensus of what questions to ask and then decide which questions are most appropriate to ask.

Example questions would be

1) Whats your opinion on recent innovations such as the new guards as compared to the basics

2) What do you think the qualities are that make blue/purple/brown/black belts.

3) What methods would enhance your progression discluding more training.

This can include judo or wrestling instructors.

My instructor is a 2 degree bjj black belt under Roberto Maia. So im willing to put questions from here to my instructor.

I work on a regular basis with

Ricardo Vieira (9x world champion BJJ)
Leozinho Vieira

I speak to them over the net, and they visit the gym often..

although I think any of the most experienced guys in this forum would be more then able to reply to your questions mentioned above

i have Bruno Paulista Upcoming Black Belt Star. He won the 2007 no-gi world championships in the super super heavyweight

Leozinho Vieira

although I think any of the most experienced guys in this forum would be more then able to reply to your questions mentioned above

Those were example questions, partly to illustrate that general questions are prefered rather than particular technique questions (which could be answered on this board).

Its just interesting to get the prospective of some of the greats of bjj and the Vieira brothers definantly qualify. I just believed that most people on this board would appreciate a channel in which they can ask a 9x world champion on how they acheived their succeses.

There doesn't seem to be many good interviews out there with top bjj guys, usually the questions asked are pretty lame or at least not the ones I would ask. All to often an interviewer may ask a question such as what advice would you give to other practioners. Usually the answer is also lame such as "train harder".

The people on this board will have a more personal connection to their instructors than some random interviewer so we may get more elaborate answers to some of these questions.

Hmm, what qualifies as "famous"? For the general public I would imagine that only someone with the last name "Gracie" would be even remotely famous. Or do you mean inside the BJJ community? I train with Fabio Santos, 8th degree Rolls/Rickson/Relson black belt who I think would be known to most jiujiteros at some point. A lot of guys on here are in LA training under a Gracie or Machado or even Eddie Bravo. Lots of different opinions could come out of that group.

I might be moving up to LA and will likely train under Babalu. Is that famous enough?

Leozinho Vieira

nice-
My BJJ coach used to be Rani Yahya-
I don't see him around anymore, but Leo and Rani had some battles at the ADCC's

Fernando Margarida comes around now and then and teaches/rolls with us too

Screw it...I just in the name dropping thread. The most famous guy I have trained under...Marc Laimon. Say what you want, but once you get to know him he is cool as shit and he is a great BJJ instructor.

Hmm, what qualifies as "famous"? For the general public I would imagine that only someone with the last name "Gracie" would be even remotely famous. Or do you mean inside the BJJ community? I train with Fabio Santos, 8th degree Rolls/Rickson/Relson black belt who I think would be known to most jiujiteros at some point. A lot of guys on here are in LA training under a Gracie or Machado or even Eddie Bravo. Lots of different opinions could come out of that group.

Im not talking about the general public, I mean within the bjj community.

I think I will just go for the name dropping as it seems far too difficult for people here to organise a set of questions to ask their instructors. It was a nice idea but too hard to put into effect.

I was just hanging out with and training with Rickson today, I'll probly stop by his house tomorrow I'll try and remember to ask him these questions, but if I forget I'm training with Marcelo Garcia tomorrow night and I'll ask him.

I used to train with edwin dewees... thats famous to the general public i suppose.

i train under saulo and xande ribeiro

My instructor, Rogerio Taborda, is a 3x Pan Am champ and well known amongst Brazilians alike. I went with him to the last Pan Ams and everyone came up to talk with him including Rickson.

I train under Allan Goes. Great guy, he seems like a tough, intimidating guy at first, but in reality he's a really generous, helpful, funny guy.

1) Whats your opinion on recent innovations such as the new guards as compared to the basics

I like the basic guard.

2) What do you think the qualities are that make blue/purple/brown/black belts.

One quality-Perseverance

3) What methods would enhance your progression discluding more training.

There is only one way. That's why the "more training" answer is annoying. It's so simple. The answers usually are.

btw...I am not famous.

i have Bruno Paulista Upcoming Black Belt Star. He won the 2007 no-gi world championships in the super super heavyweight

Who???

I train at Gracie Barra America in Irvine, California.

Professor Marcio Feitosa (Head Instructor)

Good Enough?

This was an important lesson my famous instructor taught me...

PERSEVERANCE

by Cesar Gracie

On more than a few occasions it has been asked of me what I look for the most in a student. In my early years of teaching I might have answered that strength, physical endurance, speed or agility were traits to be looked for when determining who would excel or become a future champion. However as the years passed, I realized that there was one trait that exceedingly surpassed the aforementioned ones: Perseverance.

Perseverance is not something you can easily identify or hastily confirm. Only the test of time will determine if someone possesses it and there are no shortcuts to attain it. There have been many who demonstrated incredible natural talent, leaving me impressed with a sense that for them, future great accomplishments were a certainty. However these "certainties" almost always went unrealized.

Then there are the students that seemingly never quit, to whom failure in training and loss in competition is merely a minor setback, to be learned from and not defeated by. Day after day they can be seen improving and applying themselves. Though their progress is not spectacular, it is constant. After some time has passed their skills become formidable and the reality of their accomplishment is undeniable. With average ability and common qualities they gradually cultivate their minds and bodies into a machine. A machine that delivers when called to do so.

Focus has been a word often referred to as what we need for success in any venture. And to an extent, focus is something we can all apply in varying degrees. However focus applied over years or throughout one's career is truly remarkable. The ability to keep focused and persevere through life's distractions separates the champions from the mediocre and the significant from the trivial.

Of course there are those that will take up a discipline for the sake of recreation or are motivated by secondary goals, such as physical conditioning or a variety of other reasons. For them not much should be demanded and less expected. If they achieve their own personal objectives, it is enough. However for those that aspire to the next level, they should first count the cost. Not doing so will merely be a waste of their time and of their instructor?s. We have all at one point or another imagined ourselves in an exalted position, the champion of our domain. The question is have we ever imagined the sacrifices?? Have we really thought about the endless training hours that are required of us? Have we even considered how much time and effort it will take for someone to help us in achieving our goals? To learn something that is worthy of your time cannot be done overnight and in challenging yourself to accomplish something great is gain within itself.

As a teacher of jiu-jitsu it is my job to see that everyone that trains under my guidance receives excellent instruction. But when I see that a student is committed to improving and willing to put in the time and effort to learn, I go that extra step to encourage them and I pay more attention to that student. If they can persevere then they are worthy of that. However, to request an instructor's lifetime of knowledge is no small thing and neither will be the sacrifice.

Back