Who has the Skillset to beat Jon Jones?

Bones vs Fedor at HW...

BOOM.

I know, genius right?

I just don't know. I think MMA has evolved too much since Fedor's reign and I have my doubts that Fedor could do nearly as good today if he just debuted.

Cain would do what DC did in round 2, just not get tired and continue it for the next 3 rounds.

A 6'4" Anderson Silva would give him a good fight at the very least.
A 6'2" GSP would wear him down and probably take 3 rounds decisively from him.

I don't think it'll take a specific skillset to beat Jones, but rather someone who can match him physically, and who brings high level skills to the table. Jones is amazingly good at using his body type optimally, and all of his opponents face an uphill battle just in bringing their skills into play.

jonesgus_original.jpg

jones had to be seat belted to his hospital bed and hooked up to machines to stay alive after that fight

I don't think it'll take a specific skillset to beat Jones, but rather someone who can match him physically, and who brings high level skills to the table. Jones is amazingly good at using his body type optimally, and all of his opponents face an uphill battle just in bringing their skills into play.

Silva always had issues with people that could take him down. Odds are if Jones got him down he wouldn't be able to get back up and then game over. GSP's style of MMA wrestling may be more effective than everyone that keeps trying to take Jones down against the cage. The GSP that fought Thiago Alves, if he was a 205 pounder might be able to beat Jones.

Silva and Jones have a common fighter, Jones claims that fight was the hardest of his career and it went to a decision. Silva knocked him out in the 1st the first round.

Oh, they have three common fighters. I'm talking about the one who is a real LHW.

Silva always had issues with people that could take him down. Odds are if Jones got him down he wouldn't be able to get back up and then game over. GSP's style of MMA wrestling may be more effective than everyone that keeps trying to take Jones down against the cage. The GSP that fought Thiago Alves, if he was a 205 pounder might be able to beat Jones.

I agree about Silva (hence "very good fight," rather than "he'd kill him") but I think a slightly larger Silva would have the speed and length to avoid Jones' takedowns. Not a guarantee, by any means, but if he did manage to stay on his feet, without sacrificing his striking too much, I'd favour him.

An up-sized GSP, though, I'm pretty confident would beat Jones. Very well-rounded, athletic fighter whose discipline could be a great foil for Jones' creativity.

Silva and Jones have a common fighter, Jones claims that fight was the hardest of his career and it went to a decision. Silva knocked him out in the 1st the first round.

Oh, they have three common fighters. I'm talking about the one who is a real LHW.

To be fair, Jones was pretty damn green when he took on the more experienced Bonnar.
Bonnar's fight against Silva, on the other hand, was an experienced GOAT-level guy, against a man with one foot in retirement.

ETA: This doesn't even take into account how they match up stylistically.

If Jones gets finished in his next two fights, the sheer joy of it may cause me to have an actual stroke.

who has the skillset to beat jon jones

I imagine.....
it would require someone tall, as tall as jj, with long limbs
someone who is primarily a kick boxer, a seriously good and menacing kick-boxer with other skills too which mma requires
then when he starts launching his kicks and punches (on jj) making the most of his reach adavantage, jj will go into panic mode

I agree about Silva (hence "very good fight," rather than "he'd kill him") but I think a slightly larger Silva would have the speed and length to avoid Jones' takedowns. Not a guarantee, by any means, but if he did manage to stay on his feet, without sacrificing his striking too much, I'd favour him.

An up-sized GSP, though, I'm pretty confident would beat Jones. Very well-rounded, athletic fighter whose discipline could be a great foil for Jones' creativity.

Prime GSP's explosive center cage double legs seemed unstoppable and his jab really messed up Koscheck permanently.

I know a lot of people believe Cain Valasquez can beat Jones and others still hold out hope for Jones/Gustafsson 2, and I agree it's certainly possible but now it seems just as possible Jones might be able to beat Valasquez and probably will beat Gus again.

What I'm curious about is who people think have the Skillset to beat Jon Jones right now if they were in the Light Heavyweight division. For example if Anthony Pettis was a 205 pounder does he have the skillset to beat Jones? Or if Mighty Mouse was a 205 pounder is his skillset what it would take to beat Jones?

Any fighter from any weight class even Heavyweights of course. Who if anyone do you believe has the skillset that it would take to beat Jon Jones?

This really retarded. What are you looking to get out of any response?

it is obviously gus

a guy who doesn't have to deal with reach and height disadvantage and is a greats striker who hurt jones bad and stuffed over 5 takedowns

Prime GSP's explosive center cage double legs seemed unstoppable and his jab really messed up Koscheck permanently.

A double-leg on Jones would be difficult with his wide stance, long legs, and excellent distance control. I think he could catch a single and sling him down though.
GSP has the skills to make it competitive, and the cardio to wear Jones out and do some serious damage in the later rounds. His control was hardly ever less than absolute.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more confident I am that a LHW GSP would take that fight.

Gus, weidman, and strangely enough, Anthony Johnson all have the skill sets to beat jones. Doesn't mean they will, but they could. Anthony is only in there because he is a power striker that will engage in combination, something a majority of bone's opponents haven't done(Gus could have run away with that fight if he had been willing to throw more than 1 or 2 punches at a time). And considering jones obviously doesn't like to get hit... On the other hand, he is technically more sound than Anthony. It Could be really fun or really ugly. Fights like that tend to be coin flips. Exciting ko or 5 round drubbing. In other weight classes, Aldo, a non-broken Cruz, and Mighty Mouse all have the skill sets to destroy bones. but that tends to happen at lower weights. Little guys can't rely on ko power or size so they tend to rely on skill. That's how it has always been in every combat sport. The little guys are always the best technicians.

Back