• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who has the edge in wrestling Usman or Chimaev

AmbassadorFright

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In a hypothetical future match up between the two who would have the edge in MMA wrestling? I assume Usman would choose to keep things standing as outstriking Khamzat seems like a far more plausible path to victory than grappling with him. Khamzat on paper is the more accomplished grappler but it doesn't really matter. Usman has ragdolled/nullified more accomplished grapplers than himself purely based off of size and strength alone but at the age of 35 and coming off of a laundry list of injuries, I'm not sure he'll be the same caliber of wrestler. People have to remember Usman isn't the same fighter he was when he initially rose through the rankings. He used to wrestle a lot more heavily but now he's turned more into a forward pressure, ploddy boxer who uses wrestling to psyche out or throw off his opponent. The size of Chimaev should also be mentioned. The largest opponent Usman outwrestled was Leon Edwards and while Leon has shown decent grappling he's definitely not a wrestler. How would you see grappling exchanges going between the two? Usman? Chimaev? Or stalemate?

Chimaev is more aggressive and tenacious I'm thinking he out works Usman who never spends more than he needs to

Reactions: Ruv
Khamzat in prolonged wrestling exchanges. Usman’s knees are nonexistent at this point and his wrestling these days consists of quickly defending takedowns and not much else.

With that said, Khamzat probably gasses himself wrestling into losing a split decision.

Nobody has even secured a takedown on Usman yet. Not even cardio machine Colby who is an excellent wrestler managed more than briefly putting Usman on his knees. Khamzat does not have the stamina to keep pressuring him, Usman is not one that can be controlled. The Burns fight was eye opening.

Usman obviously. I never seem him struggle yet in the grappling department.

Chimaev and it’s not even close, Usman the d2 guy would be no where near medaling in Russian junior nationals

it'll be interesting. nobody can say for sure.

the only thing we do know is that usman wanted zero part of grappling with gilbert, and khamzat took him down and wasn't afraid to jump on top of him to try and finish him in round 1.

i'd give the edge to khamzat. he can probably score some takedowns. not sure if he'll be able to do much with it though.

edge-wrestler-4.jpg

In a hypothetical future match up between the two who would have the edge in MMA wrestling? I assume Usman would choose to keep things standing as outstriking Khamzat seems like a far more plausible path to victory than grappling with him. Khamzat on paper is the more accomplished grappler but it doesn't really matter. Usman has ragdolled/nullified more accomplished grapplers than himself purely based off of size and strength alone but at the age of 35 and coming off of a laundry list of injuries, I'm not sure he'll be the same caliber of wrestler. People have to remember Usman isn't the same fighter he was when he initially rose through the rankings. He used to wrestle a lot more heavily but now he's turned more into a forward pressure, ploddy boxer who uses wrestling to psyche out or throw off his opponent. The size of Chimaev should also be mentioned. The largest opponent Usman outwrestled was Leon Edwards and while Leon has shown decent grappling he's definitely not a wrestler. How would you see grappling exchanges going between the two? Usman? Chimaev? Or stalemate?
Isn t colby the same age? Chandler too? I don t think that Usman is passed prime.

Khamzat

Dude won a bronze medal at Russian Jr championships

Usman would be a waterboy to those guys

Irrelevant. This is MMA where there's striking and more importantly a cage with a fence all around. It has never been tougher to secure takedowns against opponents who are using the fence to stay upright or get back up.

Khamzat picks up Usman and dumps him on his head :)

Khamzat is gonna literally take Usman to war and leave him completely destroyed

It will depend on the overall gameplan. Let's khamzat ragdolls Usman for 2 rounds and then gasses out and loses the fight. Did he technically out wrestle Usman? Yeah, but it didn't matter. The better question is who can incorporate wrestling Better into the fight.

Usman because he manages his gastank better over 5 rounds. Khamzat will tire out by 3 rd round and his wrestling ability will suffer. Also Usman is a far better Boxer than Khamzat, I can even see Usman Knocking him out early on because he hits pretty hard

Back