• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who has the better pure BJJ, Fabricio Werdum, Jacare Souza, Ryan Hall, or Damien Maia?

Who has the better pure BJJ, Fabrico Werdum, Ryan Hall, or Damien Maia?

• Total voters
Pretty simple rank ordering to anyone in the know:

1. Jacare
2. Werdum
3. Maia
4. Hall

This is BJJ/Submission grappling, not grappling applied to MMA.

Changed my vote to him.
He and Maia are 1-1 at blackbelt, but Jacare has more wins, accomplishments and tournaments, less losses, more submissions, and beat better guys
I don't think you can go wrong with either selection, but I'm going with Maia. Jacare is 100x as athletic and explosive as Maia. Demian only has technique.

Pretty simple rank ordering to anyone in the know:

1. Jacare
2. Werdum
3. Maia
4. Hall

This is BJJ/Submission grappling, not grappling applied to MMA.

I'd agree with this. Hall is legit as fuck at grappling though. A bronze at ADCC is nothing to F with.

I don't think you can go wrong with either selection, but I'm going with Maia. Jacare is 100x as athletic and explosive as Maia. Demian only has technique.
Yeah I think that's a good way to think about it as well since Jacare has always been a freak

I remember videos of him climbing a rope one handed with no legs back in the day (by like wrapping it around his wrist and jumping with it, it was weird and hard to explain).

the title sounds like your supposed to pick what doesnt belong......

Ryan Hall?!? really???

Is Rani Yahya still in the UFC? He's also a legit grappler and is better than Hall.

These four are probably the highest level guys in the UFC when it comes to BJJ. Imo Damien Maia has the best MMA BJJ, but in terms of pure grappling which one is the best?
War Maia but a big shout out to the Prodigy

Souza, Maia- and Werdum are so unbelievably close and are,arguably, the top 3 bjj practitioners in UFC.I gotta go with Fabricio but ,again, so marginal.He has those long limbs and he's a heavyweight.....hes that good on the ground.

I think Maia has been exploiting a pretty favourable position though, lots of matches at WW vs opponents who really didnt know how to deal with high level grappling due to a historic lack of it. What I think he's really missing is the ability to offer someone unexpected in terms of submissions.
Everything is slow posiitonal work with him which means he doesnt pickup many finishes and when he faces someone like Rory who doesnt have a weakness to target he's got almost zero chance of winning.

Last edited:
I could concede that. Pretty close title wise. However the backpack is the best when it comes to MMA.

How ? Trollface has Bigger wins in his resume & also went on to become the champion at UFC.

Jacare, but i think Maia might have better MMA bjj

There is some serious misunderstanding in this thread: Maia is great and he has fantastic MMA BJJ, also he is one of my favorite fighters. But in pure BJJ credentials he is FAR beyond Jacare or Werdum. He was never an IBJJF world champ nor an ADCC champ.
ehrmm... He won ADCC in his weightclass & a silver 2 years prior.

He competed more in CBJJF than IBJJF that's why they were kicked out by Gurgel. CBJJF offered cash prizes.

BJJ? Werdum. He's also the bigger guy and would beat a Maia Mail or Jacare.

Back