Who has the better grappling. Ciryl Gane or Poatan?

So is the grappling challenge Alex issued to Smith still happening?

I think Pereira has the better overall defensive grappling and TDD. Training with Glover and company doesn’t hurt either. Gane looks like a special needs child who can’t swim after being tossed in a lake. Gane either neglects the training or he just doesn’t have the aptitude.
Seems like its much more the latter to me.

gane has submission wins
yes with "s"
theres no shame in getting wrestled by big nganou
and gets strangled by the best grappler in the world jones

meanwhile alex has 0 submissions
gets taken down by izzy
almost lost to jan who isnt really a good wrestler

weirdos

Gane literally did nothing when Jon and Francis took him down. Looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

Alex at least showed effort to get back to his feet against Jan and Jiri. As stated above, he has been training with Glover for quite a while now, and Texeira had fairly solid grappling.

I'm going with Poatan on this one.
sir gane has submission wins with an "s"
no shame getting strangled by the best MMA wrestler on the planet
in jones
and taken to the ground by a big dude nganou

meanwhile pereira got taken down by a noob iizzy
almost lost a fight against jan who is not a good wrestler

Does it matter. Alex has won two belts in different weight classes.

Alex has better BJJ imo but at the same time we haven’t really seen any of it so it’s hard to say.

Poatan. Neither are grapplers but Poatan has at least shown defensive soundness

Probably Poatan by merit of him actually giving a shit about his career.

Gane for sure. Yes Ngannou held him down and Jon Jones submitted him, but Ngannou is enormous and Jon Jones is arguably the greatest MMA practitioner in the history of the sport. It might not have been against top tier competition, but Gane hit a heel hook in the Octagon. How many other heavyweights in UFC history have landed heel hooks?

Answer: Four, and it's not likely many on here now would be able to name another big man that pulled one off.

You summed it up perfectly. I had no idea so few heel hooks have been done in the UFC. When I see fighters attempt them I'm like okay great we're going to play footsie here. lol

Even if they were equal in grappling, the size and strength advantage would be massive for Gane.

I think the answer is clearly Po Atan - his black belt might be kinda fake but Gane got absolutely clowned by Jones and lost to an injured Ngannou via grappling as well

Pereira dealt with the grappling from Jan decently, I mean Jan took his back but he defended the RNC threat and all the takedown attempts from then on. Way better than what Gane did against Jones

I think the answer is clearly Po Atan - his black belt might be kinda fake but Gane got absolutely clowned by Jones and lost to an injured Ngannou via grappling as well

Pereira dealt with the grappling from Jan decently, I mean Jan took his back but he defended the RNC threat and all the takedown attempts from then on. Way better than what Gane did against Jones

Jan ain't Jones and he ain't 265lb adrenaline dumping Ng.

I know Pereira's never lost a fight because he attempted a leg lock while getting swept without even having his arms free for said leg lock. Against a guy with no knees who's legs could snap off if torqued properly.

Like I said, I trust Pereira's grappling even more knowing he doesn't lose track of his actual gameplan in the middle of his fights to try it out in the moment. He's comfortable he's a black belt on the ground. He's also even more comfortable he's a red belt in striking and so will fight there instead than possibly wind up getting too caught up grappling.
That has more to do with fight IQ than it does actual grappling. And the thing with Francis Ngannou— I know he’s big, and he’s supposed to be stupid and not skilled (sarcasm but people actually think this for some reason) at anything. But he has actual submission wins. Israel Adesanya for as long as he’s been fighting still has zero. Losing a ground fight to Ngannou, especially when considering his size, is not as bad as losing one to Adesanya.

Those grappling exchanges between the two of them, if you examine the techniques and the leverage they used, might honestly have been some of the least skilled grappling I’ve seen in MMA in a long time.

There is a lot of footage of Poatan rolling, there is footage of Grane laying back for heel hooks.
Come on bro.
There’s footage of Conor McGregor rolling and looking like a skilled grappler. Then when he gets in the cage, he is losing in the mat to Dustin Poirier— the guy who gets submitted by everyone.
There’s footage of Jones rolling Gordon Ryan but you’d have to be crazy to think he’s anywhere near that level.

Back