who doesnt eat grains, carb questions

There's one major problem with this whole Paleo discussion. Paleo is flawed because the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

I used to be friends witha guy that now believes so heavily in his church that he actually thinks dinosaurs couldn't have existed because the earth is so young and that god just put the bones in the ground to test our faith. Needless to say he is no longer a friend.

I'm on on a Specific Carbohydrate Diet. No grains, no tubers, no sweeteners but honey. Just unprocessed meats, fresh or frozen fruits and veggies and hard cheese.

Also when I say "no", I mean it. None, zero, nada. I cant even have pre-shredded cheese because they coat it in starch.

Anytime there is a debate in where someone claims that EVERYONE should exclude something from their diet COMPLETELY, it's their duty to provide a sound, logical reason for that along with a reason for the NECESSITY of doing so.

That's exactly what any sort of Paleo FAQ does. It's the first question Paleo eaters get asked. They have their reasons, we discuss them here all the time. You can't say the Paleo hasn't explained its case--they do all the time, as they are constantly under attack. Having explained their position, the burden then goes to the Paleo skeptic to explain why the Paleo position is wrong.

Here's the key: My point is, instead of arguing that the Paleo viewpoint is wrong per se, the skeptic turns the discussion into a question of practicality, convenience, finances, whatever.

In other words, the Paleo crowd gets asked to justify their diet on health grounds, and when they do, the skeptic's rebuttal is to attack Paleo on other-than-health grounds...which is an important, but ultimately different discussion.

Do you see what I'm saying?

How common is it for the average joe to "yo-yo diet"? What is the most common aspect of that? Wouldn't you say that it's someone jumping on an extreme diet and then failing to comply with it? Isn't it the all or nothing approach? Did we not learn anything from all of the Atkins failures?

Seeing as there are loads of people who are Paleo-compliant, this doesn't strike me as a valid criticism. "Extreme" is relative to one's ability and willingness to do something. Obviously, Paleo is not "extreme" to the many people who do it successfully. It is certainly "extreme" relative to "conventional" eating habits. Many people would see the way you eat and train as "extreme." And others would look down on it (jerks! :D).

But, again, whether or not any way of eating is regarded as "extreme" is an entirely separate consideration pure superiority/inferiority concerns in terms of health and performance.

Everything in life is about risk vs. reward. You stated in one of the above quotes that it's up to us to decide if it is worth it. Do you think the Paleo camp has given a valid enough argument to convince that it is NECESSARY for EVERYONE to COMPLETELY remove grains? Obviously not, as you consume grains yourself.

Yes, if health was my only concern, I absolutely believe Paleo makes a sufficient argument (not that they even have to meet such a high standard to be considered legitimate).

But I'm honest enough with myself to know health isn't my only concern when it comes to these things. As you say, it is a risk-reward thing.

My point in the last post was that I don't think a lot of people are honest enough with themselves to admit they're consciously making diet choices which are less-than-ideal from a pure health perspective, because they're compromising health in some sense for convenience, $$$, practicality, whatever.

I have no problem with anyone eating paleo. It is their choice. I also have no problem with someone eating vegetarian and I feel they can probably eat very healthy as a vegetarian, but it doesn't mean that I won't say anything when they are recommending it to EVERYONE or saying that EVERYONE shouldn't eat meat.

The difference is that the precepts of vegetarianism are demonstrably wrong, and by "wrong" I mean unhealthy. I don't see Paleo being attacked on those grounds, but rather on non-health grounds.

Hopefully I've clarified myself (?)

That's exactly what any sort of Paleo FAQ does. It's the first question Paleo eaters get asked. They have their reasons, we discuss them here all the time. You can't say the Paleo hasn't made its case--they do all the time, as theu are constantly under attack. Having explained their position, the burden then goes to the Paleo skeptic to explain why the Paleo position is wrong.

Here's the key: My point is, instead of arguing that the Paleo viewpoint is wrong per se, the skeptic turns into a question of practicality, convenience, finances, whatever.

In other words, the Paleo crowd gets asked to justify their diet on health grounds, and when they do, the skeptic's rebuttal is to attack Paleo on other-than-health grounds...which is an important, but ultimately different discussion.

Do you see what I'm saying?

The reasons that I have read have been pure hyperbole. I don't see how you think the paleo crowd has successfully justified why it is NECESSARY for EVERYONE to eat paleo. If you believe they successfully done this, you would say that everyone's performance and health would improve from going paleo, correct? Proving that point would be saying that paleo is the best diet out there possible and that EVERYONE would benefit from this, correct?

Seeing as there are loads of people who are Paleo-compliant, this doesn't strike me as a valid criticism. "Extreme" is relative to one's ability and willingness to do something. Obviously, Paleo is not "extreme" to the many people who do it successfully. It is certainly "extreme" relative to "conventional" eating habits. Many people would see the way you eat and train as "extreme." And others would look down on it (jerks! :D).

But, again, whether or not any way of eating is regarded as "extreme" is an entirely separate consideration pure superiority/inferiority concerns in terms of health and performance.

Well let's talk about performance then. Explain to me how my performance benefit from excluding grains.

Yes, if health was my only concern, I absolutely believe Paleo makes a sufficient argument (not that they even have to meet such a high standard to be considered legitimate).

But I'm honest enough with myself to know health isn't my only concern when it comes to these things. As you say, it is a risk-reward thing.

My point in the last post was that I don't think a lot of people are honest enough with themselves to admit they're consciously making diet choices which are less-than-ideal from a pure health perspective, because they're compromising health in some sense for convenience, $$$, practicality, whatever.

So again, you are viewing a diet without grains as the best for performance? What makes you believe this when not that long ago everyone on here was prescribing eating whole grains for performance? I understand the health aspect (no necessarily saying I agree with them or that they matter much), but where is the performance argument?

The difference is that the precepts of vegetarianism are demonstrably wrong, and by "wrong" I mean unhealthy. I don't see Paleo being attacked on those grounds, but rather on non-health grounds.

Hopefully I've clarified myself (?)

Let me make myself clear with another analogy. You do not need to eat beef. You do not need to eat broccoli. One of the arguments for paleo is that you don't need grains. That could be said about beef or broccoli. You can definitely meet your nutrition requirements without those items. So what's the point?

Do you think you can have a healthy diet with grains? How do you feel all of these elite athletes are performing so well if they aren't paleo? Do you feel they would perform better if they were paleo?

The reasons that I have read have been pure hyperbole. I don't see how you think the paleo crowd has successfully justified why it is NECESSARY for EVERYONE to eat paleo. If you believe they successfully done this, you would say that everyone's performance and health would improve from going paleo, correct? Proving that point would be saying that paleo is the best diet out there possible and that EVERYONE would benefit from this, correct?

No. I mean, if you ate strict paleo and only took in 1500 calories a day when you burned 4,000 calories a day, your performance is going to be dirt. That's just 1 of a million possible scenarios where "Paleo" is less healthy than a more conventional diet.

While Paleo is not necessarily, by definition, unconditionally superior to anything else, they make a very compelling case on health grounds. All I'm saying is that if you're going to argue against Paleo on health grounds, you have to do just that, not deviate into discussions that involve external factors.

Well let's talk about performance then. Explain to me how my performance benefit from excluding grains.

Quite simply, you can get any of the health/performance positives of grains tenfold from fruits, veggies, tubers, seeds, etc, without the negatives.

The downside? Convenience, money, practicality, etc...not health.

So again, you are viewing a diet without grains as the best for performance? What makes you believe this when not that long ago everyone on here was prescribing eating whole grains for performance? I understand the health aspect (no necessarily saying I agree with them or that they matter much), but where is the performance argument?

(See previous)

Let me make myself clear with another analogy. You do not need to eat beef. You do not need to eat broccoli. One of the arguments for paleo is that you don't need grains. That could be said about beef or broccoli. You can definitely meet your nutrition requirements without those items. So what's the point?

Broccoli and beef do not have the nutritional downsides that grains do. Yes, I can meet my nutritional requirements without them, but there's nothing wrong with beef or broccoli, so why should I?

The analogy doesn't work when you plug grains in...grains DO have nutritional downsides, and I can meet my nutritional requirements without them, so why should I eat them? Not for health reasons. For convenience, money, or practicality? Perhaps.

Do you think you can have a healthy diet with grains? How do you feel all of these elite athletes are performing so well if they aren't paleo? Do you feel they would perform better if they were paleo?

Of course you can have a healthy diet with grains. I consider my diet healthy...not as healthy as it could be, but still healthy, in the grand scheme of things. And of course athletes can be great without Paleo. With enough talent, athletes can be great eating darn near anything short of cyanide, as we see all the time.

Would they perform better if they switched to Paleo? Maybe (see the first part of this reply). If it's implemented idiotically, with a 2,000+ calorie deficit, or inadequate (insert any macro here), of course not. Paleo would not by necessity make anyone perform better, or make anyone healthier, for that matter.

These last two paragraphs were the only problems I had with your post. The argument isn't that you don't need to eat grains, it's that you should avoid them.

I know for a fact XTrainer believes you can have a healthy diet with grains, as he eats them himself, I think his argument is that it would benefit him from a health perspective to not eat them.

As for performance, I don't believe at all the paleo will increase your performance provided you aren't eating a shitty diet to begin with. Body comp? Yes. Health? Debatable depending on how you are qualifying "health". But performance? No, and I'd be interested to see what he says regarding paleo and athletic performance.

That's exactly what any sort of Paleo FAQ does. It's the first question Paleo eaters get asked. They have their reasons, we discuss them here all the time. You can't say the Paleo hasn't explained its case--they do all the time, as they are constantly under attack. Having explained their position, the burden then goes to the Paleo skeptic to explain why the Paleo position is wrong.

This is false. There is greater burden of proof is required for someone making a truth claim.

Read this: Philosophic burden of proof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If paleo people are making a truth claim, they have the burden of proof to prove their theory. Think of what you are saying but substitute "paleo" for "believers in the Secret" or "Ghosts." According to what you are saying, as long as a flat earther, paranormal lovers or Secret believers can explain their theory then it is the sole responsibility of the skeptic to prove them wrong. With scientific hypothesis, the burden will always be greater for person trying to prove their claim.

Now, maybe paleo people are not making a truth claim. They may just be making a pragmatic claim. They could be saying that "we don't know whether this is true as a matter of biology or evolutionary theory, but it helps you drop pounds!" Ok, then they have meet the burden of proof to show that it helps you drop weight. But, I don't think that this is what people like Rob Wolf are only doing. When he is pushed on the science, he usually then makes a second claim about how paleo works. But, he does not want the Paleo diet to just be about whether it will help you drop pounds. He wants it to be a diet backed by truth claims.

Last edited:
So your argument is that you can be healthier without grains and you don't need grains. So with that logic, one would assume that someone eating grains can't be healthy as possible, correct? What would be your standards of measure for health? How do you explain the hundreds of athletes that would likely get a perfect health screening even though they have ate grains for years? To what extent each serving of grains damaging your health?

As for your argument that we need to keep this health related, can you explain why? Since when is that what paleo enthusiasts do? When you tell someone to completely avoid grains or advocate a complete lifestyle change, there are many more factors to consider than health.

In order for me to be convinced that paleo would be the way to go, I would need the following satisfied:
1. Prove to me the negative effects of grains.
2. Prove to me the extent of the negative effects of grains. (quantify it)
3. Prove to me that I can't have a healthy diet while eating grains.
4. Prove to me that it will help my performance.
5. If you can prove all 4 of the above, I would need to evaluate that it is worth it.

So far from what I've read, paleo arguments have not even come close to doing this. So far most of the articles I have seen are hard to get through the initial 3 paragraphs full of hyperbole and irrational thinking.

Also paleo humans had stronger bones and muscles , well is it cause they didn't eat grain or cause of EVOLUTION ? Cause I bet they were physical stronger but we got bigger brains, that is what makes the human race so dominant intelligence not physical superiority . However I'm glad to be informed about possible negative effects of grains since now I will eat them but in moderation. I think if you would pound that stuff daily in high quantities it wouldn't be to good for the digestive system, however normal qualities i don't believe effect me enough to outweigh the positive side of grains - high carbs to support intense training and convenience, grains are everywhere.

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't have a healthy diet without grains, so #3 will be impossible to prove.

#4 is my biggest gripe against paleo. People seem to equate body comp with performance. They aren't the same.

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't have a healthy diet without grains, so #3 will be impossible to prove.

#4 is my biggest gripe against paleo. People seem to equate body comp with performance. They aren't the same.

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

This article specifically says for all humans to avoid grains. If I can have a perfectly healthy diet with grains, why should I avoid them?

If you don't buy into any of the stuff out there regarding the antinutritents and their effects, it's mostly moot because everyone switches context like mad.

If you don't buy into any of the stuff out there regarding the antinutritents and their effects, it's mostly moot because everyone switches context like mad.

As I said before, I have no problem with people eating paleo. I have problem with people stating that everyone should not eat grains. That statement alone carries a ton of implications with it. On top of that, I have a problem with the logic/reasoning behind that statement. I've never seen such arrogance as I have with some nutrition "experts" and bloggers. They all come off as emotional, douchebag salesman who can't form rational arguments without resorting to ridiculous hyperbole or e-meltdowns.

Edit: One last thing I have to add is that it's hard to put a lot of stock into paleo when they have to stray from it for a particular goal. How many diehard paleo enthusiasts have made the exception for milk? I have no doubt that "paleo + milk + some grains" will fall in there at some point when it relates to athletes training a lot.

Page 1. Individual diet & performace question, with a call for anecdotal data.
Last two pages: Combination of feed the world, feed the couch potatoes, and feed the international level atheletes.
Yeah....

As I said before, I have no problem with people eating paleo. I have problem with people stating that everyone should not eat grains. That statement alone carries a ton of implications with it. On top of that, I have a problem with the logic/reasoning behind that statement. I've never seen such arrogance as I have with some nutrition "experts" and bloggers. They all come off as emotional, douchebag salesman who can't form rational arguments without resorting to ridiculous hyperbole or e-meltdowns.

Edit: One last thing I have to add is that it's hard to put a lot of stock into paleo when they have to stray from it for a particular goal. How many diehard paleo enthusiasts have made the exception for milk? I have no doubt that "paleo + milk + some grains" will fall in there at some point when it relates to athletes training a lot.

That's a very valid point. The belief that paleo is the only way to go is just silly. Especially when it comes to athletic performance.

Uggh...I just typed a long, detailed reply that is lost in the chasms of teh interwebz due to my lousy connection here. I'll try do a quick do-over:

This is false. There is greater burden of proof is required for someone making a truth claim.

Read this: Philosophic burden of proof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If paleo people are making a truth claim, they have the burden of proof to prove their theory. Think of what you are saying but substitute "paleo" for "believers in the Secret" or "Ghosts." According to what you are saying, as long as a flat earther, paranormal lovers or Secret believers can explain their theory then it is the sole responsibility of the skeptic to prove them wrong. With scientific hypothesis, the burden will always be greater for person trying to prove their claim.

Now, maybe paleo people are not making a truth claim. They may just be making a pragmatic claim. They could be saying that "we don't know whether this is true as a matter of biology or evolutionary theory, but it helps you drop pounds!" Ok, then they have meet the burden of proof to show that it helps you drop weight. But, I don't think that this is what people like Rob Wolf are only doing. When he is pushed on the science, he usually then makes a second claim about how paleo works. But, he does not want the Paleo diet to just be about whether it will help you drop pounds. He wants it to be a diet backed by truth claims.

First of all, good to see you again, and where have you been??? Anyway, all I meant was that I see discussions going like this:

Paleo Skeptic: "Why don't you eat grains?"
Paleo Dude: "Because of X and Y." (Where "X" and "Y" are health claims).
Paleo Skeptic: "Yeah, but your approach seems really difficult/unpleasant/impractical/etc..."

In short, the health claims are not challenged. Paleo attempts to justify itself on health grounds, but it is challenged on other-than-health grounds--and Paleo certainly never claims to be the cheapest or easiest diet to follow. It was this asymmetry that I was trying to point out.

So your argument is that you can be healthier without grains and you don't need grains. So with that logic, one would assume that someone eating grains can't be healthy as possible, correct? In a nutshell, yes. But by some standards of measure, the difference between "some grains" and "no grains" might be immeasurably small. What would be your standards of measure for health? Too many to list. How do you explain the hundreds of athletes that would likely get a perfect health screening even though they have ate grains for years? Like I said, you can be "healthy" and still eat grains...not sure what you mean by "perfect health screening," though. To what extent each serving of grains damaging your health? It depends. Is the consumer insulin resistant? Insulin sensitive? Diabetic? Underfed? Intolerant of carbs in general? Gluten intolerant? Lots of factors.

In red.

As for your argument that we need to keep this health related, can you explain why? Since when is that what paleo enthusiasts do? When you tell someone to completely avoid grains or advocate a complete lifestyle change, there are many more factors to consider than health.

In seeking knowledge about nutrition, I do not want my educators to give me advice colored by my own feelings, willpower, commitment, etc. I want the raw truth, however harsh it may be. From there, I will proceed with applying that knowledge to my own situation, such as I can and am willing to do.

What that means is that I need to have the honesty and maturity to admit that I will make some decisions that are less-than-ideal for my health, but nonetheless fit my lifestyle best for other reasons (convenience, practicality, money, enjoyment, etc.).

So, yes, there are definitely considerations other than health that go into determining dietary choices. My point is, we should not pretend that we are basing our decisions entirely on health when we are in fact compromising health, even in small ways, for other things (see parentheses above).

In order for me to be convinced that paleo would be the way to go, I would need the following satisfied:
1. Prove to me the negative effects of grains.
2. Prove to me the extent of the negative effects of grains. (quantify it)
5. If you can prove all 4 of the above, I would need to evaluate that it is worth it.

So far from what I've read, paleo arguments have not even come close to doing this. So far most of the articles I have seen are hard to get through the initial 3 paragraphs full of hyperbole and irrational thinking.

I agree with everything there, except for two points. One, I believe points 1 and 2 have been adequately addressed. Two, point 3 is unecessary. It's not a question of "you can't be healthy with grains"--I've said repeatedly that you can. It's a question of, can you do better?

In some ways, it already has. Dr. Guyenet has written about "paleo preparations," if you will, of grains in primitive cultures...so you end up with a product that is, in terms of micronutrients anyway, inferior to to fruit, veggies, etc., but without the downsides of grains.

And I believe Robb Wolf is a fan of Paleo+milk for weight gain.

Still, however, I believe these would still be considered health compromises, not so different from those we discussed before, even though they relate to specific goals.

That's a very valid point. The belief that paleo is the only way to go is just silly. Especially when it comes to athletic performance.

No one says "its the only way." No one is really blind enough to believe you can't be an athlete unless you eat Paleo.

The relevant question is, "is it better than what you're doing now?"

I've had no gripes with anything that you have said personally. I don't think that you have ever stated that everyone should be eating paleo. Actually, I don't think I've had an issue with anyone on this board saying that specifically. I do think it is advocated a lot more than it should be, but that's just an opinion.

No one says "its the only way." No one is really blind enough to believe you can't be an athlete unless you eat Paleo.

The relevant question is, "is it better than what you're doing now?"

I interpret the below article as stating "everyone should avoid grains". Do you interpret it differently?

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

You know, I never really looked at that website until linking it this time. Major lulz.

Dude, the title of that blog post is "Why Grains Are Unhealthy." The man's laying out his case for, well, "why grains are unhealthy." It wouldn't make any sense for him to lay out that case, and then conclude by saying, "grains are unhealthy, but maybe you should eat them." :icon_conf

I'm not sure what you're getting at, though. Paleo-type eating does make a fairly general recommendation that everyone would be better off without grains. That doesn't mean that a diet without grains is inherently better than a diet with grains. It just means that a diet with grains is never as good as it could be, because any of the positives of grains can be obtained from other foods, without the "baggage" that grains bring along.

Back