Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 38 19.6%

• Total voters

Iroh

The Dragon of the West
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So don't just answer with who is officially the champ, but who of these two, in your personal opinion, do you see as the real HW champ right now?

@HHJ

PS it's just weird posting my first thread in this new era of SD.... And mods, I have a dark background on my phone - not sure if that's standards or just carried over personal settings from the previous edition - but the letters when making the poll are also dark... Meaning I can hardly see shit, Capt'n! when making the poll.

@giovanni_ss I'm sure I had selected the option of making the poll results posters viewable, but it doesn't allow me to click to see the names. Some help, plz?

@giovanni_ss I'm sure I had the option of making the poll results posters viewable, but it doesn't allow me to click to see the names. Some help, plz?
I'm not sure if the new polls have that feature anymore, they're just back today. I'll mention it to the guys though if we could bring back the names.

And oh, Tom Aspinall for me for sure.

<mma1>I'm not sure if the new polls have that feature anymore, they're just back today. I'll mention it to the guys though if we could bring back the names

Very much appreciated, bud! Thanks!

You'd assume it's still a possibility with the option still available, unless they just forgot to get rid of the option or something. Would also be a very sad change for SD if we couldn't see the names anymore... Argh!! I'm trying to just select a emoji to go here, but the bloody thing insists on putting it in the quote. Maybe it's time to revisit the UG lol

Maybe it's time to revisit the UG lol
taeyeon-crying.gif

My own personal logic to why Aspinall is champ and Jon isn't. A champ is supposed to be the best of it's divison, this is proven by beating as many of the top guys of the division as possible and by beating the previous dude that was at the very top before them, the previous champ. Neither have done the latter, but at least Aspinall has been fighting and is still willing to fight basically anybody in the division the UFC is willing to give him, including a bunch of highly ranked guys.

Jon on the other hand had the chance to fight the previous chanp, but due to very unfortunate or maybe very fortunate//convenient circumstances, he was only willing to go to HW and get a belt after Ngannou left. He also has shown to be very reluctant to even consider fighting the true contenders of the division and clearly showed to be unwilling, at that specific point in time, to face real contenders.

So in conclusion, if you look at what they have done at HW and what they are willing to do at HW it's clear that Aspinall is much more of what truly defines a champ, than Jon is.

Last edited:
Tommy Aspinall is the champ.

He is the guy who has beaten 4 of the current top 10 at HW. He is the guy who will fight anybody in the weightclass going forward.

Jones sought out the easiest big name in the division for him to beat after the actual champ took himself out of the game, then cherry picked his 1st and almost certainly only defense against a 41 year old Stipe who last won 3 years ago, and was brutally knocked out in his last fight, which was itself over 2 years ago.

By the time they actually do fight Stipe will be 42 and his last win will have been 4 years prior.

Aspinall is more than happy to fight Jones for all the marbles, to see who is the real champ and the best HW in the UFC, Jones will not fight Aspinall, or anybody except Stipe for that matter.

So don't just answer with who is officially the champ, but who of these two, in your personal opinion, do you see as the real HW champ right now?

@HHJ

PS it's just weird posting my first thread in this new era of SD.... And mods, I have a dark background on my phone - not sure if that's standards or just carried over personal settings from the previous edition - but the letters when making the poll are also dark... Meaning I can hardly see shit, Capt'n! when making the poll.
U know Ngannou is the real champ

Tommy Aspinall is the champ.

He is the guy who has beaten 4 of the current top 10 at HW. He is the guy who will fight anybody in the weightclass going forward.

Jones sought out the easiest big name in the division for him to beat after the actual champ took himself out of the game, then cherry picked his 1st and almost certainly only defense against a 41 year old Stipe who last won 3 years ago, and was brutally knocked out in his last fight, which was itself over 2 years ago.

By the time they actually do fight Stipe will be 42 and his last win will have been 4 years prior.

Aspinall is more than happy to fight Jones for all the marbles, to see who is the real champ and the best HW in the UFC, Jones will not fight Aspinall, or anybody except Stipe for that matter.

Agreed. If Jones refuses to fight Tom, he will be remembered as the Goat who ducked Aspinall. This is especially true if Aspinall reigns over the division for a good bit. Every time he wins, people will say Jones didn’t want to fight him. You think the Aspinall vs Jones talk is getting attention now? Wait till Aspinall dominates the division.

So often, we think of previous generation goat vs this generation’s. But we never get that opportunity because of timing difference. However that’s not the case now. This is the one rare time that it could happen.

If Jones chooses the easier path of Stipe, he will get that happy feeling of being Goat for a short time. But His decision will come back and haunt time long term and his image will take a hit whenever Aspinall takes over. And this is with Aspinall calling him out already. His name was thrown in the streets and Jones didn’t step up meet him. It’s a bad look already. It will look worse later.

Back