Who do you consider the most well rounded fighter in the UFC today?

MTL

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Well rounded in terms of overall striking and grappling, but try to take every aspect into consideration.

Striking:
Boxing, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, Karate and Taekwondo
Power, clinch, head movement and foot work

Grappling:
Wrestling, Brazilian jiu jitsu, Sambo and Judo
Takedown defense, effective ground striking, guard passing

Also take conditioning, aggression, the fighters chin and finishing rate into consideration.

It's tough to find a fighter who has mastered every aspect I've listed, but a few come to mind in terms of being close:

Frankie Edgar
Jon Jones
Rafael Dos Anjos
Demetrious Johnson
Dominick Cruz
Luke Rockhold

Who do you think is overall number 1 and why?

Last edited:
as much as I can't stand him I'd go with Mighty Mouse

Prove I am wrong:

sn_g_punk01jr_576x874.jpg

First couple of replies nailed it - Demetrious Johnson

Jon Jones and DJ. Mostly JBJ.

Jones just murders people where they're best at. Not sure if we'll ever see anyone like him any time soon.

Jon Jones is the first guy I think of when I think well rounded. Striking, grappling, submissions skills.

Gotta go with DJ.

I still feel like Jones' defense in the pocket needs more work. Both Gus and DC were able to get inside his reach and cause him trouble there.

Jones just murders people where they're best at. Not sure if we'll ever see anyone like him any time soon.

No KO power and relies on his size to beat most opponents.

How did he "murder" Gustafsson in boxing? How did he "murder" Evans in wrestling?

And Jones hasnt been as dominant in anyway as Mighty Mouse IN YEARS. Last time Jones finished an opponent it was 3 years ago and it was MW Sonnen. People have lately started to overrate Jones way too blindly on Sherdog.

Yes, only 'size' matters, which is why George Roop, Kendall Grove, and Stefan Struve are all-time p4p greats.

DC relies just as much on his body type (compact, strong, low center of gravity) as Jones does. Plus, Jon cuts less weight than most LHW.

So no, it's not Jon's 'size'.

How did he "murder" Gustafsson in boxing? How did he "murder" Evans in wrestling?

And Jones hasnt been as dominant in anyway as Mighty Mouse IN YEARS. Last time Jones finished an opponent was 3 years ago and it was MW Sonnen. People have lately started to overrate Jones way too blindly on Sherdog.
Maybe you should make some more hate threads, Gus hugger. Or maybe talk about how Gus sprinting away from DC didn't cost him the fight, uncrowned King, etc...

imo you should add karate and sambo to the list of important striking and grappling bases @ this point.

Yet he took DC, a man who had success at heavyweight.

He may not have a lot of KO power in his hands but so what? His hands are still there. Last I remember, he dropped Machida with a punch. Plus, he hellbowed Hamill to death. Finished Shogun with strikes and subbed most of the other top competition he's faced. A finish is a finish.

Let's not forget his large array of striking techniques and how well he implements his grappling. Jones is the most well rounded fighter we've seen. Having Rumble grade power doesn't make you well rounded, as we've seen

Back