Who can equal or top Chuck, Brock, Randy, GSP etc in star power?

Conor if he finds his way to the strap.. he has the personality.

Pretty sure Jones is struggling with numbers. And the biggest draws the UFC has had were all white guys. Like Liddell, Brock, GSP, Couture, etc. Anderson was one o fthe weaker performing champs for awhile. 4 or 5 years ago Anderson was not even a top performer compared to the other champs. I'm pretty sure actually the biggest draws historically are the ones I just listed.

It's just an observation. Don't take it so personally. There's a reason why I said I believe DC could be a big star. People were bitching at me for calling Thomas Jefferson a super-racist on this site not long ago. What's the point of this shit if we can't even discuss it?

We can discuss it all you want, I'm just telling you that you're drawing a conclusion that isn't there. UFC's ppv #s are down in general but for what they're averaging, Jones is doing well and for a guy who would never speak English to promote the fights, Anderson did extremely well. BJ was one of the biggest stars in the company for a while and Tito was the biggest star for a while before that. There was a boom for a few years when the company was at its peak and the champs were white guys at the time but race certainly isn't going to prevent anyone from doing well.

I would go out on a limb and say that in America 95 out of 100 people couldn't tell you a single current UFC champion.

I work with like 60 people and only 1 other guy supposedly watches MMA and he still thought that GSP and Silva were the champions a couple weeks ago.

that could change. Not many here watch MMA, but some like Jones on Facebook, along with just a few other sportsmen. I guess it's a location thing.

And the guys you mentioned are nowhere near the draws that Tito, Chuck, Rampage were in their prime. All those guys on the same card likely wouldn't pull in the same numbers as a GSP ppv.

You are confusing great fighters with being a star/draw. The fact that you mentioned Frankie Edgar alone proves that.... Frankie Edgar couldn't sell a PPV to save his life.

You mention Jones and Gus.... They fought each other at UFC 165 and only done 300,000 ppv buys.

true, they aren't. This whole "MMA is dead" is over the top though, they have a bunch of new champions, it takes time. And those PPV buys have been going down since the Fox deal. It makes sense: more cards, less buys.

We can discuss it all you want, I'm just telling you that you're drawing a conclusion that isn't there. UFC's ppv #s are down in general but for what they're averaging, Jones is doing well and for a guy who would never speak English to promote the fights, Anderson did extremely well. BJ was one of the biggest stars in the company for a while and Tito was the biggest star for a while before that. There was a boom for a few years when the company was at its peak and the champs were white guys at the time but race certainly isn't going to prevent anyone from doing well.

Ok.

The question was who can equal Chuck, Brock, Randy, or GSP in star power. I don't think I implied that ethnicity meant you wouldn't be succesful. I was saying that the only guys who have pulled numbers like Liddell or GSP were white guys.

Pettis if he can keep winning.

Brown if he wins the belt.

DC if he becomes champ and defends.

Ok.

The question was who can equal Chuck, Brock, Randy, or GSP in star power. I don't think I implied that ethnicity meant you wouldn't be succesful. I was saying that the only guys who have pulled numbers like Liddell or GSP were white guys.

I don't think anybody will consistently do the #s those 4 did, MMA was just more popular during their time. Mayweather and Pacquiao do bigger PPV #s but the UFC is spreading themselves pretty thin with so many cards and they water a lot of them down so as much as anything else, it really just depends of which cards they put you on.

I don't understand why GSP was such a big star in Canada? All his fights were boring as shit

-Jones would be there if he opened his mouth and talked some smack and didnt try to be the black GSP.
No, he should do the exact opposite. He shouldn't open his mouth or write stuff on twitter because that's not exactly his strong suit. Jones' mouth is his own worst enemy when it comes to becoming a popular figure.

lol wtf?

reading first page I don't think any of you know what marketable even means.

Pretty boy, well rounded Luke Rockhold
Dangerous quiet assassin Gegard Mousasi
Vitor the Destroyer
Weidman all American
Jacare
Lyoto

UFC just needs to stop devoting 100% of their hype machine on Ronda.

Pretty sure Jones is struggling with numbers. And the biggest draws the UFC has had were all white guys. Like Liddell, Brock, GSP, Couture, etc. Anderson was one o fthe weaker performing champs for awhile. 4 or 5 years ago Anderson was not even a top performer compared to the other champs. I'm pretty sure actually the biggest draws historically are the ones I just listed.

It's just an observation. Don't take it so personally. There's a reason why I said I believe DC could be a big star. People were bitching at me for calling Thomas Jefferson a super-racist on this site not long ago. What's the point of this shit if we can't even discuss it?

Why should we just be able to discuss made up ramblings about an assumption that racism is a factor in a lack of PPV sales?

If you want to discuss it then do so intelligently and not based on your guess on a topic like that.

For the record you can look it up on google or this site as it has been posted before. Anderson is amongst the top all time MMA PPV sellers. You don't get to dismiss that by saying 'oh well he was not always'. Rampage and Rashad proved they can sell when they are near that strap or holding it. And no Jones is not struggling compared to anyone else in this time frame. he is leading. But todays buys do not compare to the past no matter the colour of the fighter.

Sorry but we do not need peoples uneducated guesses about racism being debated and that is a stupid topic to try and guess about.

ALOT of IF's in this convo...

Overeem can be a huge star IF he keeps his shit together, he was on his way before the pop & 2 fights he should have won.

Pettis IF he was more mic friendly & not injury prone

McGregor IF he dominates better comp.

Arlovski IF he had a mega level comeback (don't see it happening)

Barnett IF he had a mega level comeback (don't see it happening)

Benson IF he was a finisher

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Rumble Johnson, he needs to continue to get better, win, & keep on the mic and he can be a superstar.

Back