Who can equal or top Chuck, Brock, Randy, GSP etc in star power?

Conor easily yes he hasn't got a top ranked ufc fighter yet but his self promoting is what will attract fans like it or not the gift of the gab is what sells.

Pettis if he wasn't so injury prone causing him to miss so much time between fights.

Another crossover

This, for sure. I don't think they necessarily have to already be super famous before they enter the UFC, but however it happens they need to have crossover appeal. They need to appeal to more than just UFC / MMA fans.

This is a big part of why Ronda blew up so quickly; she appeals to folks who were not already MMA fans. Female sports fans and amateur / Olympic Judo fans in general are part of her fan base. Lesnar had the pro-rasslin' audience.

A lot of the other, former mega-draws I think benefited largely from the luck of timing. MMA just blew the fuck up at the right time for them to make a lot of fans - fans who probably just don't watch anymore now that the people who they latched onto when they got into the sport aren't competing anymore (or not competing at a high level anymore - I'm sure there are some folks who still think Tito and Rampage are the best in the world).

Until someone else brings in a new audience, the super stars will just be those who bring in most of the existing audience. The mega stars will be those who bring in people who weren't already fans.

If DC were to become champ I could see it. He's the perfect combination of talk and humble I find. Plus he is an Olympian and a high level one at that.

Add in being well spoken, knowing how to call fighters out, etc and I could see him as a star.

The downside is he isn't white. And so far, all of the biggest draws in the UFC have been white guys.
Anderson and Rampage are white? Since when?

If DC were to become champ I could see it. He's the perfect combination of talk and humble I find. Plus he is an Olympian and a high level one at that.

Add in being well spoken, knowing how to call fighters out, etc and I could see him as a star.

The downside is he isn't white. And so far, all of the biggest draws in the UFC have been white guys.

That's true, ya know, except for Rampage until he started losing, Anderson, Jones, BJ Penn, Tito and all the other non-white guys who have drawn big numbers and gotten huge sponsorship deals. What face were you making when you typed that?

When the old guard is gone, UFC is dead. They are not capable of producing their own stars.

Also, Machida is not ever going to be held in the same regard as any of those mentioned in the OP.

Cain will never be a household name. People dont want to support somebody with something as classless as "Brown Pride" tattooed across their chest.
Clearly his time in TKO made him a star since the UFC can't "make stars"
37a66f30a18f51ff9c556a964dc90aca.jpg

The correct answer is no one on the current roster.

McGregor if he keeps winning

i don't think anyone will top gsp in terms of star power and how much $$$ he made for the ufc, nobody has topped gsp's ppv numbers, he'll be the the biggest draw for awhile....someone popular well talented, and a crowd favorite will be the one to either equal or surpass those mentioned for star power.

That's true, ya know, except for Rampage until he started losing, Anderson, Jones, BJ Penn, Tito and all the other non-white guys who have drawn big numbers and gotten huge sponsorship deals. What face were you making when you typed that?

Pretty sure Jones is struggling with numbers. And the biggest draws the UFC has had were all white guys. Like Liddell, Brock, GSP, Couture, etc. Anderson was one o fthe weaker performing champs for awhile. 4 or 5 years ago Anderson was not even a top performer compared to the other champs. I'm pretty sure actually the biggest draws historically are the ones I just listed.

It's just an observation. Don't take it so personally. There's a reason why I said I believe DC could be a big star. People were bitching at me for calling Thomas Jefferson a super-racist on this site not long ago. What's the point of this shit if we can't even discuss it?

I think it's funny that the UFC has taken the position that the language barrier issue is not a real issue (dana said "real fight fans will want to see guys like aldo/barao even if they can't speak english. you're watching them fight not talk")

but the only non-english speaking guy who ever got big was Anderson Silva and guess what? That only happened after he made his hail mary comeback against Chael Sonnen (and it could easily be argued that Chael's hyping of that fight and the subsequent result is what made Anderson such a big star)

After that fight, Anderson also just so happened to learn a few english phrases that people found amusing to listen to (like the "is normal" "I back") type stuff.

Speaking English, even if only severely broken english, is crucial.

You aren't going to find many if anyone who would be as big as Lesnar. Lesnar was such a draw for MMA because he was bigger than the sport. He was more popular than any other MMA fighter before he even decided to compete in MMA. He already had a huge fanbase. If anyone already as popular as Lesnar was has the tools to be successful in MMA, maybe they could rival him in popularity. If only Kurt Angle was in his 20's...

Most big time pro athletes don't have the background in wrestling to compete in MMA. Those who do probably aren't big enough names. The ones who are probably make more doing what they do now, or when they retire and try it out, it is too late for them to be successful. Even a guy with the wrestling credentials that might be popular with the WWE probably would rather make the big bucks there than to take a pay cut to get punched for real (not that pro wrestling doesn't take even more of a toll on your body, but your success isn't based on being able to take a punch or win for real). It's better to choose MMA out of college, but then you don't gain the fanbase first.

Lesnar was an anomaly that we may never see again for a long time.

Rumble will be a star if he keeps his shit together.
Daniel Cormier will be the next big thing.
Gunnar Nelson if he keeps winning.

If he was 30 or so Chaels good friend CM Punk would be a huge cross over star

Back