Whittaker or Vettori

Vettori

Rob will just get KTFO again

I woula said Vettori, but his performance against Holland was uninspiring. Let him get a win where he wins by fighting instead of playing the game for a decision.

Let bobby knucks get it,and Marvin after.

Why don’t these two fight and the winner gets a title shot. Crazy idea I know

It's a great idea, but that means Izzy sits on the sidelines for a 1/2 year or more. Who should Izzy fight while waiting for the winner of Robert/Marvin? Think about it...keep the MW division moving. Either Robert or Marvin faces off against Izzy.

I would say Robert should be next based upon competition faced and winning 3 in a row. Marvin is on his own streak, but to me he looked slow in his last win. Being slow doesn't bode well against Izzy.

You can say that with Izzy's growth from the first fight, that split to Vettori doesn't mean much. The Whittaker we saw piece up Kelvin seems like the more dangerous challenge to me.

Whittaker by far

Vettori is 27 and not a finished product, he's not ready for Adesanya. He'll have a better chance if he keeps improving a little longer. Needs to clean up his striking (esp defense) and improve his TD setups. Let's see if he can beat Costa, Till or Brunson first.

If Whittaker is smart he will allow Vettori to fight Adesanya first since Marvin is going to spam Izzy with TD attempts.

Adesanya is expecting these TD attempts so if Rob waits it out he can watch Adesanya prevail and see what did and did not work or he can watch Vettori prevail and fight against a guy who he almost surely believes he is significant better than and would be an easier fight for him.

If he loses to Izzy again he may have to switch divisions, so letting Marvin go first significantly decreases the risk to him.
If Whittaker is smart he will allow Vettori to fight Adesanya first since Marvin is going to spam Izzy with TD attempts.

Adesanya is expecting these TD attempts so if Rob waits it out he can watch Adesanya prevail and see what did and did not work or he can watch Vettori prevail and fight against a guy who he almost surely believes he is significant better than and would be an easier fight for him.

If he loses to Izzy again he may have to switch divisions, so letting Marvin go first significantly decreases the risk to him.

then what does Robert do in the meantime then? Sit out till December?

I think Vettori stands a better chance to beat Izzy. But Whitaker has won three fights in a row against better opposition.

then what does Robert do in the meantime then? Sit out till December?

He said in an interview prior to the Gastelum fight he will likely only fight twice this year due to how late in the year this fight was scheduled for, so I don't think he would mind.

The only other fighters in the top 10 he has not beaten are Costa, Vettori, and Hermansson.

There is no incentive to him fighting Vettori considering they are the only two at the moment with real title shot claims.

Fighting Hermansson is not worth the risk nor is fighting Costa; there is no reward. Just sit and wait till December if that's how long it takes so be it.

He said in an interview prior to the Gastelum fight he will likely only fight twice this year due to how late in the year this fight was scheduled for, so I don't think he would mind.

The only other fighters in the top 10 he has not beaten are Costa, Vettori, and Hermansson.

There is no incentive to him fighting Vettori considering they are the only two at the moment with real title shot claims.

Fighting Hermansson is not worth the risk nor is fighting Costa; there is no reward. Just sit and wait till December if that's how long it takes so be it.
Seems like a lot of wasted time, he’s no spring chicken he should have 4 months off not 6, counting in 2 months of camp that’s 6 and 8

Vettori or have Vettori fight Whittaker. It shouldnt be the same two guys over and over

Even as Vettori fan, i also ever find fair give former Champ a chance of take his throne back

Would be still ok if they chose Whittaker, and Marvin does his cancelled fight with Till with guaranteed title shot in case of win

Of course i would prefer Vettori-Izzy 2 though, he also did better than Whittaker in the first fight and i think he have more decent chance

Vetori hasn't beaten any top 4 MWs.
Jack Hermansson
10/01/2020 #4 Middleweight 21-5-0
Hermansson.jpg

SelfishLinedDromedary-size_restricted.gif

Marvin-Vettori.jpg

<Neil01>

Even as Vettori fan, i also ever find fair give former Champ a chance of take his throne back

Would be still ok if they chose Whittaker, and Marvin does his cancelled fight with Till with guaranteed title shot in case of win

Of course i would prefer Vettori-Izzy 2 though, he also did better than Whittaker in the first fight and i think he have more decent chance

Jack Hermansson
10/01/2020 #4 Middleweight 21-5-0
Hermansson.jpg

SelfishLinedDromedary-size_restricted.gif

Marvin-Vettori.jpg

<Neil01>

My bad. I mean to say current top4 MW contenders... guys like Costa, Cannonier, or Whittaker - all of whom I'd favor over Vetorri. Marvin's best win is Hermanson, and Whittaker beat Cannonier, who streamrolled Hermanson. Till, Cannonier, Gastelum > Hermanson, Holland, Roberson

Last edited:
Whittaker deserves it more, although I understand the logic behind those who say Vettori. Vettori hasn't fought Izzy in a longer time, plus it was a split decision - a much closer fight than the one sided fight Izzy vs Rob was. But looking at who each guy has beaten, plus their current streaks, it would be insane to say Vettori deserves it over Whittaker. Rob has simply beaten much more solid competition, and he has looked far more impressive when he has done so.

Whittaker deserves it more, although I understand the logic behind those who say Vettori. Vettori hasn't fought Izzy in a longer time, plus it was a split decision - a much closer fight than the one sided fight Izzy vs Rob was. But looking at who each guy has beaten, plus their current streaks, it would be insane to say Vettori deserves it over Whittaker. Rob has simply beaten much more solid competition, and he has looked far more impressive when he has done so.
Best answer yet. Kudos.

Whittaker took on 3 top 5 guys in a row after his loss. One of them dropped out at the last minute so he ended up beating 2 top 5ers and 1 top 10 late replacement.

Anyone who denies Whittaker deserves the next title shot simply doesn’t believe merit matters anymore. That Dana was right all along; title fights people want to see deserve higher respect than fights between the two top fighters.

Which is fine. I just hope they admit it, to themselves at least. Don’t say you want to see Vittori, and then tomorrow complain that Masvidal doesn’t deserve another fight with Usman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back