Media Whittaker on the 29-28 scores, having to fight this version of Costa + his questioned chin

I thought it was a pretty clear 29-28 Robert win, even though the fight was close. I didn't even realize people thought Costa won.

There must be a bunch of people that just plainly score fights differently

1709232505615.png

I disagree that costa would have gassed. He gassed once against Rockhold at elevation on a card where literally everyone gassed (except Merab the freak). Look at the Vettori fight he “looked” gassed r4 but went into overdrive winning r5 comfortably bringing the fight into Vettori’s face the entire last 5min. People think it’s all jokes with him but he is an incredibly well conditioned athlete that shows that he stays dangerous the entire fight every single time.
His muscles have to be the only reason people have so much misconceptions about Costa’s style.
Dudes a high output volume fighter with solid cardio but his 1 punch KO power has never really been a thing. He just overwhelms people with big combinations.

Everybody talks about Costa like he’s Vitor Belfort with his power and cardio.

I thought it was a pretty clear 29-28 Robert win, even though the fight was close. I didn't even realize people thought Costa won.

There must be a bunch of people that just plainly score fights differently

View attachment 1032162

People tend to listen to the commentary. In that round the commentators falsely claimed Whittaker was 'saved by the bell' even though he recovered and fought back almost immediately.

+ recency bias: it literally happened in the final seconds of the round.

+ people tend to ignore leg kicks, unless Rogan tells them not to. In this fight he downplayed Whittaker's kicks and fluffed Costa's, muddying the waters.

You are going to get herd scores in that situation.

It doesn't reflect how difficult that round to score actually was when you factor in how badly Costa's legs were damaged in that round.

People who simply say 'hurr durr criteria' aren't actually engaging with the difficult question of cumulative vs immediate when a guy's legs are getting smashed to pieces.

I don't get Whittaker's opinions here. He was only slightly ahead in round 1 before he got rocked and he took more damage. He lost round 1 but won the next 2 rounds and it's not a bad thing for Whittaker that people are saying Costa looked great, beating someone that looked great is better than if people were saying Costa looked bad.

Bizarre opinions here from Whittaker, both fighter's stock went up after that fight and I don't get why he doesn't seem to understand that.
Rob was more than "A Little" ahead in that first round IMO. Without the head kick it would have been 10-9 Bobby all across the board with no one casting a vote for Costa to win that round. It wasn't a crazy domination or anything just clearly ahead. If he was on his way to a 10-8 round and that kick lands does it still give Costa the round?

What Bobby was seeming to say is the kick was solid but he feels like he was never actually in danger of being finished by it or any follow up. I gave Costa the first because of the kick but it would have been a clear 10-9 for Bobby. 38 of 62 is a lot more then 27 of 49. Head strikes were 26-16 in favour of Bobby and aside from the head kick there was no "Damage" done by Costa that I remember.

Maybe he should read the scoring criteria? Significantly hurting your opponent > slightly outpointing them.

Pretty amazing that 6 or so years later & some fighters still don't understand the "new" criteria. Like how can you be ignorant of such an important aspect of your occupation?
But he wasn't "significantly" hurt. He literally planted his feet and landed two counter shots right before the bell. The funny thing is, once the bell rang, Whittaker calmly walked to his corner. But Costa was still dazed from eating those two counters and had to be directed by the ref to his own corner. He was lost at the end of the round and didn't know which way to go.

Oh, and Whittaker landed 38 significant strikes to Costa's 27. Thats more than "slightly" out pointing him.

Whittaker is washed up, Prime Whittaker would have never looked so weak and hurt vs any version of Costa, despite scoring points it looked like Costa was bullying him and not getting hurt by Robert's punches.

But he wasn't "significantly" hurt. He literally planted his feet and landed two counter shots right before the bell. The funny thing is, once the bell rang, Whittaker calmly walked to his corner. But Costa was still dazed from eating those two counters and had to be directed by the ref to his own corner. He was lost at the end of the round and didn't know which way to go.
I’m not sure why you made up this fan fiction. There’s video of the fight that clearly proves none of the above is accurate. Watch a replay.

I’m not sure why you made up this fan fiction. There’s video of the fight that clearly proves none of the above is accurate. Watch a replay.
You're right. I misremembered what I saw in this video. Well, about walking back to the corners anyway. Rob did plant his feet and land counters on Costa before the bell though, This idea that Rob was "saved by the bell" is fake.

Back