Media Whittaker on the 29-28 scores, having to fight this version of Costa + his questioned chin

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

I don't understand judging at all, but like, watching that round I was piecing him up. Obviously the kick was significant but I recovered. I don't know how that gives him the entire round.

You know, I was mentioning in the fight week, I've prepared for the best version of Costa. And obviously I say this, and I prepare for it, but man I'm hoping I get the worst version of him, right?
Dude, I'm hoping I get the lethargic, lazy and tired version of Costa coming in. But dude rocks up his best self! And in my opinion it's upsetting, because like, that was the best version of Costa.
His kicks and his speed suprised me, he was much faster than I thought he would be. Well, than I think he has actually shown in other fights. And I still beat him, but now everyone talks about
how good he looked. Like, don't do me like that, bro!

But props to him, I think that version of Costa, he beats a lot of guys. For one, I have never been spinning heel kicked in my whole life. Right? So that was out of nowhere. I don't know, obviously
in comments everyone said after the Dricus fight that "Whittaker's chin is gone", like "he's a wash". Mate, my chin's back. I don't know where it went on vacation, but it's back dude. He's come
back and he's clocked in because man, that kick should have killed me. I did recover though. Obviously it was a good shot, but I was coherent the whole time through it. I remember fighting back
after the kick and I member walking to the stool for recovering.

It was a hard fight, and I take a lot of pride in fights like the one I had. Because they're showstoppers. Fun to watch, everyone loves watching them. Two big dudes just throwing leather, man.

Maybe he should read the scoring criteria? Significantly hurting your opponent > slightly outpointing them.

Pretty amazing that 6 or so years later & some fighters still don't understand the "new" criteria. Like how can you be ignorant of such an important aspect of your occupation?

30-27 Whittaker, in my opinion. That said, at worst that fight was 29-28 for Robert. Good guy Bobby giving Costa his props as well. Nice to see. Thanks for sharing @Unheralded Truth
Jup, hearing that single 30-27 scorecard being announced, I knew Bobby would get the W for sure, because in no world Paulo won the 2nd round.
Funny thing is, I watched Adesanya’s live-reaction of the fight, and because of that same 30-27 scorecard Izzy seemed to be confident Costa got the win, lol.

Costa did look good by Costa standards fwiw.
Problem is Costa's standards for "Looking Good" just means making weight and actually showing up for the fight. He is an amazing fighter.....for a "Social Media Influencer." He is more focused on getting famous then being a championship level fighter which is too bad because he could have had a much more accomplished career by now.

Problem is Costa's standards for "Looking Good" just means making weight and actually showing up for the fight. He is an amazing fighter.....for a "Social Media Influencer." He is more focused on getting famous then being a championship level fighter which is too bad because he could have had a much more accomplished career by now.
Actually it's not "too bad" it's actually very smart. He will get inserted into match ups he doesn't deserve like colby because he is popular

Actually it's not "too bad" it's actually very smart. He will get inserted into match ups he doesn't deserve like colby because he is popular
Yeah I mean too bad from my perspective as a fan of fights and not twitter beefs. Difference between Colby and Costa is Colby has gotten much farther than his actual MMA skills should have taken him. Costa has fallen well short of where his actual MMA skills could have taken him IMO.

Maybe he should read the scoring criteria? Significantly hurting your opponent > slightly outpointing them.

Pretty amazing that 6 or so years later & some fighters still don't understand the "new" criteria. Like how can you be ignorant of such an important aspect of your occupation?

How about significantly outpointing your opponent > slightly getting hurt by your opponent.

Anyone saying that R1 was clear for either is dumb. Great example of how ambiguous the scoring criteria can be.

How about significantly outpointing your opponent > slightly getting hurt by your opponent.

Anyone saying that R1 was clear for either is dumb. Great example of how ambiguous the scoring criteria can be.
That's an interesting concept but completely antithetical to the written criteria.

It's only ambiguous if you have not the ability to comprehend the simplicity of the actual criteria.

I don't get Whittaker's opinions here. He was only slightly ahead in round 1 before he got rocked and he took more damage. He lost round 1 but won the next 2 rounds and it's not a bad thing for Whittaker that people are saying Costa looked great, beating someone that looked great is better than if people were saying Costa looked bad.

Bizarre opinions here from Whittaker, both fighter's stock went up after that fight and I don't get why he doesn't seem to understand that.

I can see the difference of opinion in the 1st round. But the bigger load of crap is that they gave dern/lemos fight of the night over this fight, ON TOP OF paying dern $200K to show up.

<JagsKiddingMe>

That's an interesting concept but completely antithetical to the written criteria.

It's only ambiguous if you have not the ability to comprehend the simplicity of the actual criteria.

LOL nice words.

“Damage” is obviously subjective. Almost impossible to know how damaged Whitaker was.

What’s not subjective is he was not knocked down. He was also fighting back. So any notion he was saved by the bell is also subjective.

LOL nice words.

“Damage” is obviously subjective. Almost impossible to know how damaged Whitaker was.

What’s not subjective is he was not knocked down. He was also fighting back. So any notion he was saved by the bell is also subjective.
I never said "damage" or "knockdown". You're conflating concepts, likely purposefully, in order to justify a bad take.

The phrasing is "Immediate impact is to be weighed over accumulation."

You may like the criteria but it is to be applied not denied.

I don't get why he doesn't seem to understand that.
Clearly that head kick costa landed did more damage than that one judge thought.

LOL nice words.

he was visibly wobbled and on shaky legs. Which tells you that a shot did have concussive impact, it cant be faked. that aspect of it is not subjective.

LOL nice words.

He was rocked though, wasn't ahead by much before that happened and he he had sustained more damage. According to the judging criteria Costa edged out that round.

I never said damage.

The phrasing is "Immediate impact is to be weighed over accumulation."

You may like the criteria but it is to be applied not denied.

Don’t care.

Don’t even necessarily think Whitaker won the round.

Same time it’s asinine to not think it was at least debatable.

Nearly everybody had 29-29 Whitaker winning the last 2 rounds.
Result is correct, no discussion
In a 5 rounder Costa gasses

Back