• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whiskey/scotch drinkers?

Was at a Port Askaig tasting event and the rep pulled out a 50 year old bottle at the end and gave everyone a glass, shit was amazing.

Anyone tried the Glenmorangie Signet?

Thinking of getting a bottle.
gmgob.non4.jpg

I've had it.Really good Single Malt, though quite a bit overpriced.For example, i prefer the Glendronach 18, which costs only about 60-70% of the Signet in Germany.

Anyone tried the Glenmorangie Signet?

Thinking of getting a bottle.
gmgob.non4.jpg
It’s excellent if you don’t mind spending the money, certainly one of the top Highland single malts. I’d recommend trying some at a bar first, if that’s an option. For the price, it’s certainly better than JW Blue. IMO, it’s on par with Macallan 18, but the profile is different.

I pronounce it luh-froyg, you should be able to get the 10 year for 40-50 dollars pretty easily, sometimes the 15 year gets that low and it’s a little more balanced if you don’t love peat. They make a ton of finishing cask varieties for the duty free market, and those have made their way out to suburban liquor stores by now, they’re usually a little young, using sherry or Madeira casks to hide the rough edges, I’d avoid them to start. Quarter cask isn’t bad, if you can get a deal on the cask strength 10 year, go with that, especially if you take your scotch on the rocks.

It is just pronounced la-froyg lol

I drink Johnny Walker Blue label.
I also like Tullamore Dew.

I like to try new stuff so if you drink something different post it up.
I dont really drink to get fucked up more just enjoy a sip before bed to relax.

I am just starting up on whiskey since wine does not do it for me anymore.

So I am drinking the usual whiskey they serve in bars locally mainly Chivas and Jack Daniels.

I will try Jim Beam next time I go out.

I hosted a tasting of the Game of Thrones single malts lat weekend.

I hadn't tried them before so just had tasting notes I found online.

I wasn't expecting much, 6 of the 8 were NAS and I was pretty cynical about the GoT tie in.

My verdict:-

Not good:-

Singleton - Tully
Dalwhinnie - Stark
Cardhu - Targaryen

Good:-

Oban - Night's Watch
Clynlish - Tyrell

Really good:-

Lagavulin - Lannister
Royal Lochnagar - Baratheon
Talisker - Greyjoy

Anybody tried these?

I love this rice whiskey. such an asy drinker. Wish it were less expensive
upload_2019-4-27_9-53-59.jpeg

Bulleit Bourbon and Buffalo Trace are my go to. Angels Envy on special occasions.

this what I'm sipping on right now.
3ZTSQnh.jpg

What's a decent starting Islay?

Things I like so you know where I'm kind of starting from:
- Bulliet Bourbon
- Buffalo Trace
- Basil Hayden's Dark Rye
- Highland Park 12
- Glenlivet French Oak Cask
- Glenlivet 12
- High West Valley Tan

I've had the Balvenie 21 and Johnnie Walker Blue as well and enjoy them but don't buy them cause, well... I can't afford that.

What's a decent starting Islay?

Things I like so you know where I'm kind of starting from:
- Bulliet Bourbon
- Buffalo Trace
- Basil Hayden's Dark Rye
- Highland Park 12
- Glenlivet French Oak Cask
- Glenlivet 12
- High West Valley Tan

I've had the Balvenie 21 and Johnnie Walker Blue as well and enjoy them but don't buy them cause, well... I can't afford that.

I know little of whisky, but I do like me an Islay here and there. If I had to recommend a single Islay to a fellow sherdogger, I'd go with an Ardbeg 10, or Ardbeg Uigedail (bit more $$). Try a dram at your local watering hole. If you can't afford Uigedail, go with Ardbeg 10. A lot of subtle differences between the two, but a you'd get the general note, for a hefty discount.

Of the most famous three Islay whiskys, (Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig) I always go back to Ardbeg. Laphroaig (especially the entry level, 10) has a strong medicinal note which turns off a lot of people. Lagavulin gets a bad rep due to excessive marketing (but Lagavulin 8 is a gift from gods). And Ardbeg 10 is probably best bang for the buck, while Ardbeg Uigedail is one of, if not the best whisky I've tasted (needless to say, I don't drink a lot of upper shelf stuff).

If that doesn't rock your boat, you're not a peat kind of guy. Nothing wrong with not being one, I'm just sayin'.
If you want to ease your way into peat (not saying all Islay whisky is peaty, but it is a predominant taste), try Talisker 10 or Laphroaig Quarter Cask, but if I were you, I'd skip this step, Highland Park is lightly peated, so maybe you just jump in and see if you like the peat or not.

Slainte

I know little of whisky, but I do like me an Islay here and there. If I had to recommend a single Islay to a fellow sherdogger, I'd go with an Ardbeg 10, or Ardbeg Uigedail (bit more $$). Try a dram at your local watering hole. If you can't afford Uigedail, go with Ardbeg 10. A lot of subtle differences between the two, but a you'd get the general note, for a hefty discount.

Of the most famous three Islay whiskys, (Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig) I always go back to Ardbeg. Laphroaig (especially the entry level, 10) has a strong medicinal note which turns off a lot of people. Lagavulin gets a bad rep due to excessive marketing (but Lagavulin 8 is a gift from gods). And Ardbeg 10 is probably best bang for the buck, while Ardbeg Uigedail is one of, if not the best whisky I've tasted (needless to say, I don't drink a lot of upper shelf stuff).

If that doesn't rock your boat, you're not a peat kind of guy. Nothing wrong with not being one, I'm just sayin'.
If you want to ease your way into peat (not saying all Islay whisky is peaty, but it is a predominant taste), try Talisker 10 or Laphroaig Quarter Cask, but if I were you, I'd skip this step, Highland Park is lightly peated, so maybe you just jump in and see if you like the peat or not.

Slainte
I've had Talisker and like it (bar I worked at had it and barely anyone drank it so it was a go-to after shift drink for me) and I ended up getting the Laphroaig 10 this weekend. It was cheaper where I live than the standard Ardbeg 10.

Heavy on the smoke flavor but I could see myself liking it.

Back