Which was a bigger upset...3 choices

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
TJ vs Barao 1
Ronda vs Holly
Cedudo vs MM

I would say Cedudo vs MM, just because of the way MM dominated him 2 years ago and it seemed MM wsa getting better each fight and was well rounded

We knew Ronda would struggle against strikers...almost all her dominating wins were against grappler/wrestlers...the only real striker she faced with Bethe...and we all know Bethe is Bethe

Barao had struggled making weight, and we all knew the weight cut was catching up to him
Plus TJ was basically Fabers trained version of Dominic Cruz

Ronda vs Holly was biggest because of how big Ronda was {<RR}

The odds say Holly caused the biggest upset.

I'll say Holly as it was also the most satisfying.

TJ Vs Barao,
Dana said There was a case for Barao to be #1 Pound for Pound before UFC 173.

Ronda vs Holly was a watershed moment.

Last edited:
For me it was Rose vs Joanna or Bisping vs Cuckhold. In your list, I’d say Holly.

Cejudo is nowhere near that list because he won by such a slim margin, if any.

Holm vs. Rousey and it's not even close.

Biggest betting odds and by far the biggest upset in combat sports over the last decade in terms of visibility.

Ronda losing was a bigger upset to the casual and hollywood news cycle

Tj whooping Baraos ass twice was something that goes down in BW history as well as the p4p list if TJ keeps winning.

Of those three, it's TJ for me just because of how little chance both hardcores and casuals gave him. A relatively unknown fighter vs arguably the #1 P4P fighter. I know the betting lines favoured Ronda more, but that's because millions of casuals were blindly putting money on her.

The biggest MMA upset for me is Sokoudjou vs Lil Nog

Either Ronda or Cejudo, both were huge. Serra beating GSP has to be up there too.

Holm vs Rousey, my personal favorite upset though is Bisping vs Rockhold.

Serra vs GSP is the biggest upset in ufc history. He lost to a fucking 2nd chance TUF contestant.

Bisping vs Rocksalt is #2.

TJ Barao was huge at the time and it was an absolute shit kicking for 5 rounds and is my pick.

The most satisfying was Ronda/Holly

Holm vs. Rousey and it's not even close.

Biggest betting odds and by far the biggest upset in combat sports over the last decade in terms of visibility.
If you read the thread and/or researched, you’d know Holm was +550 and TJ +710. I agree for visibility though.

I guess per your list if said Holly.

GSP/Serra is the GOAT upset.

Of those three, it's TJ for me just because of how little chance both hardcores and casuals gave him. A relatively unknown fighter vs arguably the #1 P4P fighter. I know the betting lines favoured Ronda more, but that's because millions of casuals were blindly putting money on her.

The biggest MMA upset for me is Sokoudjou vs Lil Nog
We both know it’s not, you just looked online for « biggest upset MMA » and found that was the widest betting discrepancy.

Back