Which was a bigger upset...3 choices

My girl Ronda was so good and so highly regarded, it was definitely the biggest upset in that list, by every measure.
Boy was I pissed that night

Hype wise Holly vs Honda
Shocking wise TJ vs Barao
I'm not surprised mother... Cejudo vs MM

Holly vs Ronda. Holly Holm literally won the ESPY for biggest upset because of that.

For me, it's Cejudo because I still don't think he's the better fighter lol. Somehow he managed to pull out a questionable split decision. Things like Holm being a huge underdog were because of media hype, not because she was actually less skilled.

For me it was Rose vs Joanna or Bisping vs Cuckhold. In your list, I’d say Holly.

Cejudo is nowhere near that list because he won by such a slim margin, if any.

It depends on if you mean at the time or from what we know now. It's pretty obvious that Rose vs Joanna was no upset now. Hell, it wasn't even that much of an upset for people who did their research and knew how much Rose had been training with Valentina Shevchenko. The big telling factor in that was that Valentina kept on going back to Rose multiple times in a row to use her for a training partner as to how good Rose really was.

Odds wise, Holly. But to an MMA fan, it was Cejudo. The frustration with Ronda is we knew she was not that good and never faced a real athlete that was a developed mixed martial artist on her run. The same existed with Mouse, who fought talented guys like Gooch, but he was still a baby, and even admitted he was not ready.

I kept on saying Mouse was Ronda of the midgets but was laughed at. Both fought fighters that weren't ready for them or gatekeeper cans to pad their records. Both were hyped to the extreme by Rogan and idiot fans bought into it. It was just a matter of time before one of the younger prospects in their division developed some skills and exposed them. Both were best by for,era world champions in their respective sports too.

Serra vs GSP is the biggest upset in ufc history. He lost to a fucking 2nd chance TUF contestant.

Bisping vs Rocksalt is #2.
Oh shit. I forgot Bisping Rocksalt. It has to be that, as Bisping got bloody TORCHED by Salt their first go round, and Salt just almost murdered Teh Chris, who was viewed as possibly the greatest MW of all time and was an undefeated bull prior to getting bludgeoned.

Like a few others have said GSP losing to Serra was huge. In the rematch we saw what should have been.

Out of your list TJ imo was the craziest. The dismantling had me in awe. I was a bit surprised how well Holms handled Ronda but not nearly to the same level as TJ. And I think MM won.

Iirc, GSP's dad died really close prior to the Serra fight. Which shows you how much mental focus and something distracting that can affect a fight.

Honda/Holly

But my AV was by far the most satisfying.

TJ Renan fight 100% , Ronda wasn't a surprise it was a basic as you get grappler striker match , stays standing Holly wins .
TJ on the other hand was pretty unknown & beats a guy 30-0 or some shit .

Ronda vs Holly because the whole world was duped into believing she was unstoppable.

Holly over Ronda for sure. Holly had looked mediocre leading up to that fight, and immediately went back to looking mediocre after

Ronda vs Holly was biggest because of how big Ronda was {<RR}

Oh man... This never gets old. It’s so gawd damn cringy.

I am by no means a TUF watcher but I did tune in a few times during Ronda / Tate... I can still remember when Ronda was giving Tate shit at a bar or something, they were standing around.. you could tell meisha didn’t give a shit and just wanted her to go away but she finally had to say something, so she made kind of a half hearted insult about Ronda’s striking..

I get embarrassed just thinking about how Ronda reacted... Got all puffed up with that stupid look on her face and called Edmund over and was saying things like.. “Edmund Edmund, she’s says I can’t strike, she said I can’t throw a jab”... eew.. cringy as hell..

Or maybe the worst was when she was peacocking around acting like a fool... and the altercation with Hallmen happened.. she looked and acted like the biggest dipshit.. Hallmen could have snapped her and Edmund in half at the same time..

Aaaannny waaay... I’m done. That gif got me going. Not usually a fighter basher.. but....

Iirc, GSP's dad died really close prior to the Serra fight. Which shows you how much mental focus and something distracting that can affect a fight.
Naw his dad didn't die. The fight happened in 2007 and when I did a google search results show he is denying allegations his father was ill in 2013. He just under estimated his opponent and changed his style to fight not to lose.

It's pretty obvious that Rose vs Joanna was no upset now. Hell, it wasn't even that much of an upset for people who did their research and knew how much Rose had been training with Valentina Shevchenko. The big telling factor in that was that Valentina kept on going back to Rose multiple times in a row to use her for a training partner as to how good Rose really was.
For real? I didn’t know until you told me. I really thought Rose was shook by the cringey boogey woman. That ko is up there among my most memorable moments in MMA and the first was Minotauro vs Fedor so I’ve seen some!

For real? I didn’t know until you told me. I really thought Rose was shook by the cringey boogey woman. That ko is up there among my most memorable moments in MMA and the first was Minotauro vs Fedor so I’ve seen some!

Yeah, part of the reason Rose is injured now is because she was training so much with Valentina sometime during the period of time after her(Rose) fight with Karolina and before her training camp for Joanna started.

Also, she wasn't shook at all. Rose always gives that cold stare to her opponents. If you listen to her interview on JRE, it was part of their plan to do the even further less reaction stuff that they did. If anyone was shook when you look at it, it was Joanna. Just look at how desperately she kept on trying to escalate things to try to get a reaction from Rose. There was no way she was not totally shook after that faceoff when Rose completely no sold the fist in the face.

Back