Which striker would you teach a kid to model?

We should all aspire to be like the GOAT, he's just a regular dude, no god given talent, but rose to greatness of 160-0, all finishes.
I like how he koed wilder from his guard so throwing up a shout out to MMA as well

Last edited:
Thank you all for your feedback @Uchi Mata @Higus @shincheckin @tekkenfan @BillytheFish @Boxing_paloney @Michael Osh @Yacob @ShadowoftheSun @Noodles03 @j123 @Frode Falch @zapataxiv

The reason I asked the question is I'm going to start teaching my kid some boxing and a bit of muay thai a week from now. I did train muay thai for a short time but ended up practicing boxing with my friends so I have some very basic knowledge. I've been trying to learn more though so that I can pass the knowledge to my kid, and part of the learning is for us to watch some fights/fighters with good striking technique that we can adapt.

Thank you all for your feedback @Uchi Mata @Higus @shincheckin @tekkenfan @BillytheFish @Boxing_paloney @Michael Osh @Yacob @ShadowoftheSun @Noodles03 @j123 @Frode Falch @zapataxiv

The reason I asked the question is I'm going to start teaching my kid some boxing and a bit of muay thai a week from now. I did train muay thai for a short time but ended up practicing boxing with my friends so I have some very basic knowledge. I've been trying to learn more though so that I can pass the knowledge to my kid, and part of the learning is for us to watch some fights/fighters with good striking technique that we can adapt.
Is the satisfaction you'd get from teaching your kid more important than him receiving proper instruction from a real coach and not developping bad habits? It's something to consider.

Is the satisfaction you'd get from teaching your kid more important than him receiving proper instruction from a real coach and not developping bad habits? It's something to consider.
yes i get what you mean, I'm just going to teach her some of the basics that I know but I also know for a fact that I need to find my kid a better instructor (than myself). I'm careful not to teach her bad habits/incorrect technique thus the reason why I'm really researching everything.

By the way my kid has also studied taekwondo before from some really good instructors. Just pointing that out so that people won't get the idea I'm not open to having my kid train with actual coaches.

I would tell the kid to have fun learning and don't be an overbearing parent.

Jon Jones. He's the perfect fighter. Keeps them at range with eye pokes and has godly wrestling. Other than the first Gus and DC fights, we don't see him getting hurt much.

A noble cause but I feel it’s a little misguided.
Personally I plan to try and just spark my sons interest in the sport. Than let him find his own way (unless he wants me to be more controlling) .
Really the most important would be getting your kid excited about boxing and then have it do he wants to investigate fighters by himself and start to analyze why something works, why it looks cool etc..

So for that I would say just focus on the greats or the fights you feel are the most compelling and let your chili’s fill in the gaps.

it takes a certain level of skill, knowledge and experience in the sport to be able to really learn a lot from watching fights, as you may miss things or misinterpret them as they happen so fast. Im not saying dont study fights, its a great way to learn. However I would say that aside from watching tutorial videos, I would suggest watching high level guys train. You can learn a lot this way too.

You can misintepret things if you watch a little bit of film.

If you watch a lot of film, you can start to see the patterns.

I like young Ray Mercer a lot. No fucking around, straight to the point, iron chin. Got robbed of at least a tie against a prime Lennox Lewis.

Saenchai is easily one of the best if not the best Nak muay ever and he's still active. Not just that but for a kid it's an entertaining style and one they can more easily emulate than an adult. That's probably one to show him.

Personally it's mostly watching Buakaw in k-1 max that got me into MT just like a few others on this forum so maybe that's another one to show him.

Lomachenko is superlative; only thing is when you see Lomachenko display qualities in the ring, you don't see the training methods that developed those qualities.

When i think about fighters i would recommend to someone as case studies, it is for some such reasons i tend to note ones with 'caginess' or 'veteran savvy' the most; ie, the sort of procedural approaches, tactical tricks and strategic wrinkles, that can be more easily seen and emulated; ie, the sort of things you can see in the ring because they are developed in the ring.

Last edited:
Adesanya or Wonderboy if we’re talking about MMA.

If you want a kid to learn effective striking, which fighter/athlete would you want them to watch and learn from?

edit: anyone aside from Joe Son

Samart Payakaroon. Can kick, can knee, can punch, can round kick, can side kick, can elbow, can front kick(teep), calm as water, violent as fire.

You can misintepret things if you watch a little bit of film.

If you watch a lot of film, you can start to see the patterns.

Gabriel Varga is my favorite KB, he mentioned studying fights on his youtube recently and has credited that to his skill level.

Samart Payakaroon. Can kick, can knee, can punch, can round kick, can side kick, can elbow, can front kick(teep), calm as water, violent as fire.

Good luck trying to get a kid to watch pixelized low definition videos from the 70's and 80's though...

Back