Which routine of these 3 to use?

omgitsrick

Green Belt
Reaction score
1.) Starting Strength A B Routine
2.) WS4SB
3.) 3 Day Split (Pull, Press, Squat)

My goals are: bulking and building strength and power for wrestling off season. Also I do BJJ 3-5 times so keep this in mind.

How much of a noob are you? I think WS4SB requires too much equipment and experience since it uses a large of variety of exercises.

Bill Starr's 5x5 is a great one for new lifters because you only have 6 exercises to master and it hits everything.

I'd do a 5x5 until you plateau, then go to a 3x3, then go to a 10x10 and back to a 5x5..

1 or 3, then switch it up once you plateau. just my opinion.

it depends on how much of a noob you are. if you have never done a proper weight lifting programme with squats and deadlifts as the main lifts, you're a noob. Even if you've been "lifting" for a few years, if you haven't been doing heavy core lifts consistently, you're a noob. So do the noob programme, the Starting Strength A B split.

Then transition onto the Bill Starr 5x5 for a few months. Or the WS4SB as it might allow you more flexibility for your BJJ training.

Hey guys, I've been trying to find some strength and power routines on the forums but to no avail as yet. This thread only mentions the names of the routines but I have no clue what they are. Could somebody please enlighten me? or even recommend something else that's good for a beginner? Thanks.

I would say 1. Then probably transition into the BS5X5. After switch to a 3X3, than either to the 10X10 OR back to the 5X5.

Hey guys, I've been trying to find some strength and power routines on the forums but to no avail as yet. This thread only mentions the names of the routines but I have no clue what they are. Could somebody please enlighten me? or even recommend something else that's good for a beginner? Thanks.

S&P FAQ - Please Read

Emphasis on the PLEASE READ

How much of a noob are you? I think WS4SB requires too much equipment and experience since it uses a large of variety of exercises.

Bill Starr's 5x5 is a great one for new lifters because you only have 6 exercises to master and it hits everything.

I'd do a 5x5 until you plateau, then go to a 3x3, then go to a 10x10 and back to a 5x5..

I've been throwing this kind of approach around in my head.

3 Day Split (Pull, Press, Squat)

Assuming you really want to train 3 days a week, a standard 3 day pps is easiest to modify in order to reduce volume if you are spending a lot of time on the mat. With WS4SB it's not always clear what exercises are important an which ones are not.

Back