Which place has been the worst you've been to?

Balkhash, Kazakhstan - the city itself. The Lake and the beach was great but the actual city "Balkhash" has to be the poorest and shittiest city I've been to.

I also don't like Paris, Charleroi (and most of Belgium for tha matter), whole provinces of Saskatchewan and Manitoba (Canada).

Nassau, Bahamas......total shit hole outside of the resorts. Then again, I went in 2002 so it's been quite a while.

I went as a kid in the early 80s. We were at a ridiculously chic-chic resort before a lot of the development. Apparently they had ownership issues and the place fell into disrepair. Our family trip to Nassau was pretty nice.

Ever been to 29 Palms? :eek:
Women make up less than 7% of the USMC so it's gonna be like that almost everywhere. It's probably best at the air stations.

I was there 03-07. He's still going strong.

Been to Camp Wilson, 29 Palms for CAX 9-10 1999 and CAX 3-4 2000. I heard it's a terrible duty station for all kinds of reasons.

But it's never the ratio on base that's the problem. It's off base. The surrounding city has a terrible ratio too. That's why you'd see fat chicks walking hand in hand with muscled-up chiseled Marines that could be John Cena's stunt double. Marines had to take what they can get.

You were in Camp Lejeune for 4 years??? Fuuuuuu!!!! I was there for 2 and I felt suicidal. Although I'm pretty sure 03 - 07 is way different than 99 - 01.

I'll check out that YouTube link. Looks interesting.

But it's never the ratio on base that's the problem. It's off base. The surrounding city has a terrible ratio too. That's why you'd see fat chicks walking hand in hand with muscled-up chiseled Marines that could be John Cena's stunt double. Marines had to take what they can get.
That's why you go over to Greenville (ECU) or down to Wilmington.

I was saddened when I found out Rum Runners closed in Wilmington. I got way to drunk in that place. I also heard that the Soapbox closed as well.

Brandon Manitoba has to be the most depressing places in the entire world
67892590.jpg

Last edited:

A lot of young marines (myself included) didn't have cars back then.

Unlike my last couple of duty stations a car wasn't needed much.

Fort Stewart - theres restaurants right off base.

Heidelberg, Germany - EVERYTHING right outside of Patton barracks. Even a train station.

I don't make an effort to go to shitty place so I haven't been to many. I mostly find something to love about the places I travel too.

But

Buffalo NY has very few redeeming features

Back