Which muscle group to rest the longest?

Mala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train 6 times a week, in BJJ and straight boxing. Sunday is my off day in terms of those two, while tuesdays, thursdays, and fridays are the most intense. That being said, is it set in stone that I should rest a particular muscle group the longest?

Typically, Saturday is when I do deadlifts and weighted pull-ups, I find that those particular muscle groups are the ones I tend to use the most in training, and I like a rest day to recover. I squat on Monday and I pair bench with swing/snatch/shoulder on Wednesday.

(Yes, I have read the faq)

To clarify the question, I am wondering if this is a purely subjective thing.

Generally, larger muscle groups take longer to recover, and lifts which use the most muscle groups and move the most weight are the most taxing. I would expect most people would say that their legs are tired after a day of squats, and that their lower posterior chain is tired after a day of deads, much more so than they would notice their chest/arms being tired a day after bench.

That is my experience, at least.

The lower back muscles (erectors, lumborum etc) tend to take a bit longer to recover than, say, biceps and triceps. it seems to me that the more motion a muscle group is responsible for (not just muscle size) the more time it needs to rest. plus, LB muscles are used day in and day out for posture so it's tough to give them enough pure rest.

Legs and back take 5 days , chest and shoulders 4 days, tri and bi 3 days..

I always found my mid to upper back, and upper legs took quite a bit longer to recover.

Legs and back take 5 days , chest and shoulders 4 days, tri and bi 3 days..

I thought legs healed the fastest? I usually squat every session now.....maybe i heard wrong.....or read a bs article somewhere

Giving exact numbers is ridiculous. First, it varies a lot from person to person. Second it depends on the workout that was done, what the volume was, exercise(s) used, Intensity. Third, a muscle doesn't have to be completely recovered for it to be trained again. It can take over a week for a muscle to completely recover from an intense workout, but the best gains are seen training the same muscle groups more frequently than that.

Muscle groups that have a greater percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers will take longer to recover than those that have a greater percentage of slow twitch muscle fibers.

i squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press heavy all in one week for 3 weeks straight then deload and i'm fine...

If I was training six days a week I wouldn't be able to lift hardly at all. Unless it's some poof training or Billy's Bootcamp or something. Maybe cut down on your training frequency if you want to add strength.

If I was training six days a week I wouldn't be able to lift hardly at all. Unless it's some poof training or Billy's Bootcamp or something. Maybe cut down on your training frequency if you want to add strength.

I fully agree.

I squat 3x a week, and sometimes deadlift 2x a week and I'm recovering fine..

But then again, the weight is still not that big lol.

Back