Movies Which movies that you watched in the theatres made you feel in awe, gave you chills or inspired you in some way?

Jurassic Park for me.

I thought I had become too mature for a "kid's" movie back then, but that flick made me rethink that notion. I sat glued to my seat, and peed in my cup instead of going to the bathroom, because I did not want to miss anything.

I haven't watched many films from 2010s to now in the theatre. Just can't stand sitting there for 2 hours or longer. But the 3 films that I can remember feeling absolutely inspired or awe struck would be these 3.

Willow - Watched it when I was a kid and I couldn't believe how amazing the visuals and story was, it just transported me to another world. It will always be one my favorite movies ever.

Forrest Gump - I remember being so inspired after watching this film. I actually ran home from the theatres just thinking I was Forrest Gump and I was going change the world. lol

Braveheart - I seriously couldn't believe what I was watching. Didn't expect the violence to be so raw and realistic. I was glued to the screen and forever changed my perspective of movies.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, loved that Peter Jackson brought it to life and had the benefit of it being the last movie series my Mother and Brothers saw together as a family back when I was teen. Years later still watch it and love watching all the documentaries of the work and circumstances for the films to be made.

GRAVITY. That was one of th coolest movie experiences in my life. The soundtrack when Sandra Bullock is in space drifting aimlessly and the Debris field is coming for her and the sound design and all tat that shit was more terrifying then the most scary movie you could show me. That's why psychological terror is the best.

Then you feel the vast emptyness of space because of the big screen. Just amazing.

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. The chase sequence on the big rig with max and Furious owning all of Joe's dudes was amazing and again the soundtrack by Junkie XL made it massive.
Came here to post Gravity. We went to the movies with this girl I was seeing and just chose it randomly with no expectation at all. Movie starts slowly with Clooney listening to his country music fixing the station and then... shit hits the fan and it gets serious so suddenly. I was glued to my seat. The visuals and music and terror absolutely blew my mind. That movie doesn't get the praise it deserves.

Another one is I am legend. Scared the shit out of me.

Oh and Apocalypto. Holy fuck.

All these 3 I went in there with no expectation.

Rumble in the Bronx

I was 12 and my mom took me to the mall so she could shop so instead of being bored to death I asked if I could go see a movie. I had no idea what this movie was but it was either that or some chick flick so I gave it a shot. There were a handful of people in the theater and when it started everyone was laughing at the poor dubbing. I almost walked out, then the first fight scene happened. My 12 year old brain was mesmerized for the rest of the movie. I was in awe and it began a love affair with Kung Fu movies that has lasted until this day and this is still one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Rumble in the Bronx

I was 12 and my mom took me to the mall so she could shop so instead of being bored to death I asked if I could go see a movie. I had no idea what this movie was but it was either that or some chick flick so I gave it a shot. There were a handful of people in the theater and when it started everyone was laughing at the poor dubbing. I almost walked out, then the first fight scene happened. My 12 year old brain was mesmerized for the rest of the movie. I was in awe and it began a love affair with Kung Fu movies that has lasted until this day and this is still one of my favorites.

My friends Dad played the bad guy in that

Saving Private Ryan. Until that point I don't think there was ever a film made with that level of realism in war, particular the opening scene. From what I understand it was so real that some WW2 vets who were there for that landing had to leave the theater as it was so real to them like a flashback.
Same dude.

My eyes met one old guy who was leaving at the end. He had been sitting on his own. It was hard to describe but everyone left the theatre in silence and when I saw him I felt bad, like I had been watching horrific things people had luved, for my own entertainment

Lots.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Nearly all black theater crowd, the screaming at the end fight was insane.

They Live
Caught it in a matinee with a small crowd, but everyone grunted and "ooohhh'd" during the sunglasses fight scene.

Saving Private Ryan
Opening scene was hard to describe if you didn't see it in a theater with their sound system. It was extremely visceral, and it actually sounded like gunfire was whizzing past.

The Matrix
Everything about it was amazing in the 90's and on the large screen.

Those are the ones that pop to my mind when I read this question.

american_ninja.jpg

i saw the sixth sense recently at home knowing the ending and such, and it was still an amazing movie. I imagine it would've been amazing in theaters on opening night

The Matrix Reloaded. The interstate scene with Juno Reactor in the background was about as good as it’s ever gotten for me.
My friends and I smoked a couple bunts and then saw that in the theater. It was amazing. But we were amazingly high.

Saving Private Ryan. Saw it in a theatre that just unveiled a new 'senstadium' sound system.
Plus it was stunning for its time.

Even had WW2 veterans in the audience. Some looked rattled as they left, like it had awoken old demons.
It was quite an experience.

Saving Private Ryan. Until that point I don't think there was ever a film made with that level of realism in war, particular the opening scene. From what I understand it was so real that some WW2 vets who were there for that landing had to leave the theater as it was so real to them like a flashback.

Saving Private Ryan
Opening scene was hard to describe if you didn't see it in a theater with their sound system. It was extremely visceral, and it actually sounded like gunfire was whizzing past.

Yea, I saw it in theaters on opening night and that opening scene was crazy intense
We went to a theater with a giant mega screen that kinda wrapped around the wall so it felt like the action was all around you and the sounds of the bullets flying by was nerve wracking
Now days you have those kind of sound effects in all theters but back then it was brand new to me so it definitely added to the intense experience
I remember everyone walking out of the theater in stunned silence after it was over and we just stood in the parking lot talking about how crazy it was for a little while, people didnt even want to drive yet they were still shook hahaha
It gave my girl nightmares that night and then news stories started popping up about war veterans having flashbacks from it
That was a movie going experience you will probably never get again

Jurassic Park when I was a kid

I remember that about 5 minutes before we go in I realized that I was very very hungry. And you know when you are a kid and hungry it puts you in a bad mood. I was sure I wouldn't survive 2 hours without food and if it was up to me we would bail out and go get dinner instead

The movie takes about 40 minutes before the action starts so for this first part I was basically contorting in my seat thinking about food. Also it didn't help the fact that the villain was a fat Newman eating chips on his desk, but when the action did start it snapped me out it and I was glued to the screen and is still my best movie experience of my life

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Saw it the theater and upon leaving, looked to the sky and wanted to see spaceships like what was in the movie.

An interesting aside was that many years later I belonged to an RC model airplane club aboard Camp Pendleton, CA. We flew off a parade ground/helicopter airstrip. One Saturday morning, we arrived and found six Hughes 500-type helos on the field. All flat black with flat black US insignia. Guarding them was a guy sitting in a Toyota Previa minivan in civilian clothes and wearing jump boots. Also parked nearby was a Ryder box truck.

A little while later, a white commuter Ford van with no markings came roaring up the access road. When it stopped a bunch of other guys in civilian clothes and jump boots piled out. The guy in charge was ranting and raving about all the civilians (us) wandering around 'his' aircraft. Obviously the C.O. of the unit. Someone opened the back of the truck and all their flight gear was hanging from the walls of the box. They all started putting the flight gear on over their civilian clothes in preparation for a training flight.

So, the tie-in is that US government really does hide in plain sight using commercial vehicles, just like they did in Close Encounters.

That, and they really do fly black helicopters with no readily visible markings.

1. Star Wars : I actually bounced off one of those bus stop things on the way there going full speed made of plastic I swear I almost busted that thing in a race and had a huge welt on my forehead age 5 or so threw a tantrum bc it was either hospital or the movies…the movies won out . But Star Wars on the big screen,actually first 3 visually I remember Return of the Jedi as I was a little older .

2 . Time Bandits , special effects even hold up today huge monsters on screen great story probably still the perfect fantasy comedy ever made , the supreme being face scared me more then the Kraken or Medusa did in Clash Of The Titans on the big screen at that age .

3 Clash Of The Titans same reason as number 2 .

4 Superman 2 1980 . Still the best story and portrayal of Supes , effects are outdated but if you saw on the big screen you’d know why it’s listed here .

5. Nightmare On Elm Street . If you were 11 and saw this you were still thinking about Freddy going home , thinking he’s coming for you I saw this in Ny with another kid my age his uncle took us and he was Crying . Lol

6 . Dawn Of The Dead ( original ) . Pour older cousin took me and my older brother to see this I got my hair pulled for laughing so much and another kid crying on the other side . Lol ..the scene with Zombie Gandhi walking up the stairs was the only creepy part for me .

7. Rocky 4 …..

8. First Blood

9. Alien..

10. The Running Man

There’s 10 and most would be in my younger years a shout out to Terminator as well similar to the Nightmare Elmstreet , I actually thought it would happen soon where terminators were coming and we’re not far off ow maybe 200 years of we’re still around in one form or other .

when i saw 'silence of the lambs' i was OG with my shit tucked a few times, no big deal.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Friday Night Lights (very underrated movie)
Godzilla Minus One

Back