Which martial art would fare best in this scenario?

For self defence when you have no option, you should look at the rules of MMA and see what is banned and then practise exactly that.

That said I have grappled with a guy who was that much heavier but only about 2 inches taller I did well in a pure BJJ sense. Basically he took me down, gassed himself and then got guiloteened.

But a guy that much bigger who has trained anything near as much as me would just destroy me so I would really need to know why I can't just run.

kicking them in the nuts is your best shot so I would go with krav maga.

What I was going to say but I would mention the eye pokes.

take your little general out , start fapping and tell him you're a vampire. no way he doesnt start running after that :) hope it helps

Personal opinion based on my experience (Multiple years of Krav Maga, <1 BJJ) but assuming I'm 150 and opponents 225 I would use my Krav as much as possible prior to any BJJ. I've always trained to stay off the ground in pretty much any actual street fight. In BJJ, I train to eventually compete at a high level, but you're taught what is legal/illegal. I've never trained BJJ with two guys trying to knock me out, and that's the exact opposite in Krav. Always surveying the situation, scanning for addl attackers. I guess if I was locked in a room with a padded floor, and I was sure one person was going to be the only attacker I wouldn't be so concerned being on the ground. But in public, I'm breaking your knee before you ever hit me.

My buddy had to fight someone who was about 3 inches taller and 30 lbs. bigger. He came to me and asked me what I thought he should do. I just showed him simple chokes on the ground, mostly taking someone's back and sinking in the choke.

Well the other kid had the same idea and immediately headlocks my friend (no standup strikes thrown). I was freaking out hoping my boy would catch him. Well eventually, my buddy ended up grabbing a bulldog choke (like Miletich/Newton) and put him to sleep. Needless to say, it was awesome lol.

So in short, BJJ.

Last edited:
What is your opinion of karate for self defense?

Specifically, I did kenpo. I think it's less effective than most karate guys think, but more effective than most non-karate guys give it credit for. As far as striking goes, I would take it over boxing if I was outweighed by that much.

As for why I wouldn't take it over jiu-jitsu:

Why would you assume that the BJJ guy would be on the bottom? BJJ has take downs and top game too.

I think that any of the arts that address putting him on his back (wrestling, judo, BJJ, sambo) would be sufficient in this situation.

It's easier to control distance when the floor is involved. At a lanky 135, I REALLY couldn't afford to take too many good shots from most guys at 210. I've sparred guys that size both striking and rolling . . . I have no doubts about which range is the greater equalizer of size.

Personal opinion based on my experience (Multiple years of Krav Maga, <1 BJJ) but assuming I'm 150 and opponents 225 I would use my Krav as much as possible prior to any BJJ. I've always trained to stay off the ground in pretty much any actual street fight. In BJJ, I train to eventually compete at a high level, but you're taught what is legal/illegal. I've never trained BJJ with two guys trying to knock me out, and that's the exact opposite in Krav. Always surveying the situation, scanning for addl attackers. I guess if I was locked in a room with a padded floor, and I was sure one person was going to be the only attacker I wouldn't be so concerned being on the ground. But in public, I'm breaking your knee before you ever hit me.

no disrespect man but..

cool story.

I guess it honestly depends on what his fighting style is. Is he a drunken tapout bro? Does he have advanced striking abilities but no ground game? Is he a collegiate wrestler but doesn't know how to throw/dodge a punch?

I guess overall Judo does sound appealing.. but I would probably rather:

1.) Buy him a beer and tell him to have a nice night

or

2.) Groin smash + eye poke and tell him to have a nice night.

take your little general out , start fapping and tell him you're a vampire. no way he doesnt start running after that :) hope it helps

I do know someone who "defused" (I honestly can't think of what else to call it) a fight by urinating on the other dude . . . And the same guy also came out on top in a SD situation by grabbing the fella's ear and screaming into it. By all accounts there, he dropped like he took a shot to the head. I guess there's no discounting crazy!

it really depends on the 75 pounds of difference, I you are 200 pounds and the other dude is 275 you have a very good shot, if you are 135 and the other is 205, you are fucked, MA do not turn human beings into super magical ninjas...

but, probably bjj and judo, striking arts are going to get your ass kicked, badly unless you are some kind of super elite striker, and I mean elite, not 2 hours per day in the gym type of dude...

Not necessarily. I've been involved in an altercation with an athletic bigger guy (probably at least 200lbs if not more), and I not only managed to survive, but take him out...with striking no less. Granted I'm not as small as 135lbs, but he still had around 50lbs on me. I do have an extensive Karate/Boxing/Muay Thai background, but I am certainly not an 'elite' striker.

I agree with you that the weight difference becomes less of a factor depending on how big you are (heavyweights etc), and also agree with your martial arts of choice...having taken up Judo/BJJ after this altercation occurred. :icon_chee

images

You have to fight a guy who is bigger and stronger than you. He is 5 inches taller and out weighs you by 75 pounds. You have to fight him and dont have a choice.

Can't begin to tell you how many times this happens to me.

Usually starts when professor says "ok guys enough drilling, time to roll..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back