• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spoilers Which GTA Game deserves the crown

San Andreas easily for me. GOAT gameplay and story, for a GTA game and generally among video games. Hooked me immediately, I played the motherfuck out of it, even more than GTA III which blew my mind when it came out. I enjoyed the Vice City location but am not nostalgic on the 80s and thought the city could've been more expansive. Story was so-so to me. IV was good but didn't really do anything new outside of the characters and felt lacking after San Andreas. The Ballad of Gay Tony is a great expansion though. V was very disappointing to me, big but empty, characters were bombastic but lacking, gameplay was okay.

San Andreas is on another level, it's so good I could probably play through it again which I've never done on a GTA. It's like GTA went Super Saiyan, the amount of new things it added, plus the characters and story are amazing. Bad Motherfucker as a corrupt cop? C'mon. It's far above the others, even the ending is glorious. It's huge without feeling empty and there's so much to do. Made my dude a Mr. T beefcake, learned Muy Thai, souped up a bunch of cars, took territory, flew jets, jet pack... that is the apex of GTA, lol, they're gonna have to go Super Saiyan Blue to top it.
Yeah I don’t think SA has been topped. The amount of hours I sank into it was absurd. Flying across the map while listening to “Horse with No Name” is a memory forever burned into my brain.

No other titles held my interest as much before or after.

SA, 5, VC. I started on 3 then really went in on VC. For me, SA hit most notes (other than Zero's shitty missions). I never viewed these games on the strength of their stories, but just an overall fun factor. As I've gotten older, nostalgia kicks in (grew up in the 80's and 90's), so that resonates a bit more. Graphics become more important as tech improves, and it is a video game. So I threw 5 in their in the top 3

IV is my least favorite GTA. Not a fan of the driving and they got rid of all the customizable stuff from San Andreas. Also getting calls to go on dates was annoying.

Think GTA 4 had the best story and GTA 5 did the best job at capturing the vibe and atmosphere of a particular setting.

The only issue I had with IV was some cunt ringing me every 5 minutes asking me to go bowling when I'm trying to go on a murderous rampage.

basically, this. it was so over the top. worse, you were dinged if you turned them down, which cost you their perks... which isn't much, i guess. but the point is that it actually mattered to some degree.

imo, vice city was best... or best for its time, or i just liked it best. i dunno. loved the miami vice schtick and they even put mr EGOT in the game (lance vance).

the whole eating/working out/etc in san andreas was annoying.

Vice City for the overall theme and feel. 5 for writing. 3, like El Burro's calls and Catalina for humor.

I'd hope they overhaul the hand-to-hand combat again like they did for 4, because the same mechanics for every 3 characters shitty brawling could be done better and then applied to missions.

i think between 3, VC, SA, IV, and V, you will get different answers and reasons why

id prob pick GTA IV or SA. ive played the shit out of GTA Online tho, and i love the aesthetic of VC as well.

3 would easily be in 5th place for me. it changed the video game world definitely, but it just doesnt click with me like the other 4

Gta 3 was groundbreaking. I played vice city and enjoyed it.

I skipped 4 cuz i didnt get a ps3 for a long time. ......oh wait, is gta 5 for ps4? Cuz i played that one.

When it comes to sandbox games, im split. I like doing what i want but i still desire scope.

Take god of war for ps4 for example. Its a bit sandboxy but once you get to a certain level, its stupid to continue. THAT is a game that needs more sandbox.

The gta games? Its too much sandbox. I always fuck around, see what i can do, then get bored.

San Andreas - Best soundtrack ever. Lots of fun and customization.

Split on the runner up between Vice City and GTA5.

I did not like 4 and jumped ship to Saints Row until that one got too wacky.

I'd have to give it to GTAV, objectively. It brought back the fun of GTA:SA, while also maintaining the modern steps GTA4 made.

I've got a soft spot for the older games, but if we're being honest, they've got some fundamental design issues that have not aged well at all, and make them a bit of a chore to play. Memory says GTA:SA is the best. Current reality says otherwise.

3 is obviously the most revolutionary one and the one that made the biggest impact on the gaming world. 4 is my favorite overall though. Loved Bas Ruttens show on it too

I played 3 when it first came out, think i was in like 10th grade or something. That shit was absolutely mind blowing for it’s time. It’s definitely among the most important games in video game history

The turf wars of San Andreas were fun too. I think that’s why a lot of people preferred Saints Row 2 to GTA 4. SR2 felt like the successor to San Andreas whereas GTA 4 went in a new direction.

San Andreas for GTA games. Great story, features and gameplay. Also ground breaking and influential for all later open world games to follow. Super fun to play and even today it still holds up.

But if you go by the rest of the Rockstar games then the two Red Dead games take that crown, and it’s not even close. The first game did a SA, but better in the Wild West. Rockstar’s masterpieces ironically aren’t even their flagship GTA games.

for me it is what ever the most current GTA game is(so GTA 5 get the crown until 6 is released).
GTA is one of the only series that gets better with each new installment.

Yeah I don’t think SA has been topped. The amount of hours I sank into it was absurd. Flying across the map while listening to “Horse with No Name” is a memory forever burned into my brain.

No other titles held my interest as much before or after.
It’s amazing how certain songs are just burned into my brain with the whine of a jet engine in the background

The turf wars of San Andreas were fun too. I think that’s why a lot of people preferred Saints Row 2 to GTA 4. SR2 felt like the successor to San Andreas whereas GTA 4 went in a new direction.

I felt like Saints Row 2 was more inspired by Tarantino than GTA, then it just became a surreal Nightmare after The Third Game. Aliens? How in the fuq did Aliens get involved? I would rather play Playa as the damn president, have an open world with Him being the president going on Government Missions and take over Agencies. that's a way better concept than Blowing up the damn planet and go into matrix virtual reality! I love superheroes but if you were gonna go for that concept. Make it a Damn DLC!

Saints row was of course like San Andreas but the gameplay was different, You need to earn respect for missions, man I had the chance to finish the game. I was gonna spend all my time finishing it but the damn game broke and now I got no Tv to play on my damn Xbox 360 and worse, I gotta buy another copy of the game that isn't broke.

I honestly Love Saints row more than GTA, ik Saints row is a GTA Clone but Is that really a bad thing? Heck, It's more entertaining than GTA. no offense.

Back