Which greens are best to eat?

Soid

Renegade of Funk
@Black
Reaction score
I've been eating just lettuce for a while. Which do you guys think is the supreme green?

definately not lettuce, unless it's really green looking.

To replace the lettuce, I make spinach salads instead. The darker the green something is, the better, so I hear.

Don't take my word as the only word though, you might want to get some of the smarter, experienced guys in here like Kabuki, madmick, zdrax, kou, etc. and let them debate it

Though let me give you a warning: make sure you put in some time to research(google or just using the search function here) before you ask a very general question like this, or you might get flamed.

There might be a thread on this already. Go check it.

Spinach is a much better choice.
Kelp is a favorite choice of mine.
Best advice, don't eat head lettuce.

What's head lettuce. Thanks a lot.

Stuff like chard, kale, spinach, and broccoli are hard to beat.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045300.asp

THE TOP TEN VEGGIES
Taking into consideration the following factors - protein, fiber, beta carotene, vitamin C, B-vitamins, folate, calcium, zinc, iron, and phytonutrients - here are our top ten veggies in alphabetical order:

Artichokes
Beans (kidney and black)
Beet greens
Broccoli
Chick peas
Lentils
Spinach
Sweet potatoes
Tofu
Tomatoes

Honorable mention: kale, sweet peppers, chili peppers, pumpkin

Here is another good link:

http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/recommended_vegetables.htm

Wolverine
///

Wolverine- Good call on the top ten list although you might get some naysayers on the tofu from the anti-soy crowd there.

Soid- Head lettuce is the lettuce tha you buy by the head (looks like a round ball of lettuce). As opposed to a leaf type or romaine lettuce that looks more like individual pieces of lettuce.

Personally, I'm a big fan of replacing lettuce with spinach. And broccoli is always easy to cook, and cheap to come by. In all honesty, I'm a bit remiss as a vegetable eater. It's not that I don't like them, just that I tend to focus a lot more on quality carbs, clean proteins, and sufficent calories. Not that that's really acceptable, just that I've found that I know I can't get every detail of the perfect diet so that I make sure I hit the highlights.

I'd push more for a focus on making the right choices when eating vegetables than anythings else. If you're making a sandwich or salad, don't use iceberg lettuce. Use a 'real' vegetable if choosing a side over the typical corn, etc.

As to the original question of the 'supreme green' my vote would go to spinach. I couldn't give you the exact rankings of them all but my thoughts are that if I had to stock just one, spinach can be served cooked or raw, used on sandwiches, salads, or as a cooked side. Easy to consume and not bad as far as price.

I eat these though i'm not sure they are the best

Peas
Spinach
Brocolli
Lettuce
Green beans
Apargus

Wolverine said:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045300.asp

THE TOP TEN VEGGIES
Taking into consideration the following factors - protein, fiber, beta carotene, vitamin C, B-vitamins, folate, calcium, zinc, iron, and phytonutrients - here are our top ten veggies in alphabetical order:

Artichokes
Beans (kidney and black)
Beet greens
Broccoli
Chick peas
Lentils
Spinach
Sweet potatoes
Tofu
Tomatoes

Honorable mention: kale, sweet peppers, chili peppers, pumpkin

Here is another good link:

http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/recommended_vegetables.htm

Wolverine
///
I'm only surprised asparagus isn't on there, and that beans are included.

Good list, but I hope everyone keeps in mind these are made all the time. I've seen over a dozen Top 10 lists for veggies, and none are uniform.

Mostly, I find them useful in writing a grocery list if I don't know what I'm after. But if you have recipes, you're gonna know exactly what you want, anyway.

Madmick said:
I'm only surprised asparagus isn't on there, and that beans are included.

Good list, but I hope everyone keeps in mind these are made all the time. I've seen over a dozen Top 10 lists for veggies, and none are uniform.

Mostly, I find them useful in writing a grocery list if I don't know what I'm after. But if you have recipes, you're gonna know exactly what you want, anyway.

The second link that I provided does have asparagus listed.

Wolverine
///

Just bought Asparagus and Spinach. Thanks a lot guys.

Back