Which early UFC fighter would have had the best chance to beat Silva?

I dont know.....Art Jimmerson

This is pretending Silva today went back 17 years or so back in time

I would have to say Mark Coleman. I wouldn't go as far as saying that Coleman's takedowns were Sonnen level but his ground and pound was just as brutal

As for Gracie, I think he would have had a hard time submitting Silva and would eventually have gotten annihilated in the clinch

As for Shamrock, even though his BJJ defense greatly improved after the first fight with Gracie, I think Silva's length would have been too much for him to deal with

A fight with Patrick Smith would have been exciting stand up war for a few minutes

Holy unholy! That is an intriguing question; but what makes it better/worse is that you've already made the picks that I thought of as I was reading the list of latest threads BEFORE I clicked the link.

Considering the 'old UFC' had no weight divisions; I think a prime Coleman and Shamrock would be the first two candidates that come to mind (prime Tito could take a beating but would get finished.) You have to respect Gracie because of how he -perhaps single handedly- revolutionised martial arts for the first time in like 20 years (after Bruce Lee died) but he'd get killed by today's Silva (pre-Weidman; and perhaps even now) as I doubt he'd survive long enough to Ryo-Chonan Silva who wouldn't have any of that, "I'll let you take me down and sub me because I think that Judo stuff sucks and doesn't work in real life; what do you call it again; BAZILLIONJOOCHEETSU" attitue popular pre-1993. At best, he'd bully him like he did Maia and stand with his hands on his hips as he did with Leites.

Mind you, every fighter mentioned IMHO would have the great/significant -CHANCE- to beat Silva; but Silva would win regardless. Can I say prime Chuck? (I know he wasn't at UFC 1 but his time at the top was finishing as Silva's was starting) At one point he didn't have a glass-jaw; and he could KO anyone they placed in front of him. What Wiedman did; Liddell; if connencted could have done harder. However, even that would depend on whether Silva would keep his hands up or not.

I have a name; actually three, I'm just going to throw them out.

1. This one is not one I'd expect to win by any other means than a flash KO that nobody -even the fighter himself- saw coming: Jason Delucia. Why? I have no clue.

2. Wes Albritton. He lost his only UFC, and overall MMA fight with Tito Ortiz; saying he would try to keep it standing but when it started he immediately walked into a tie up clinch-grapple with Ortiz; who pressured through, mounted him and pounded him to a TKO. Why pick a guy who's 0-1 in MMA? Two reasons, one, we never actually got to see him strike; and he had black belts and Karate, TaeKwonDo (as does Silva) and practed Kickboxing; which owes part of it's hetiage to Muay Thai, which Silva is apparently a whiz at implementing. Two; pure nonsensical superstition: his record before the after his fight with Ortiz is the same as Weidman's record after he KO'ed Silva; except backwards. Weidman's at 10-0 and Albritton's at 0-1.

3. Tank Abbot. Remember at one point, this 'original' Huntington Beach Bad Boy; actually had some 'cred.' Before he ruined it by never-training, calling real martial artists 'Karate ***s' and by losing more fights than he won. Why would he beat a prime silva? Silva saw how miscordinated his next opponent was; decided he didn't need to train -or make weight; as I'm not sure they had weight divisions back then- and fattened himself up to the point he walked in; tired, because he stayed up all night trying to watch every South Park episode on multiple monitors as a hand-eye coordination training excercise cooked up by the Blackhouse members as a joke, went to sleep when Buffer announced his name thinking "Fuck, it's tank abbot? I'm not staying awake for this; yeah, I don't care if it's my own fight; I need my rest." Tank then sat on him, the referee counted to 3 and forgot this wasn't fake-TV wrestling; which is where Tank performed most of his best MMA matches.

Okay; now two 'serious' suggestions.

Can I suggest someone whom almost everyone overlooks. He's got -perhaps not the best record- but not the worst either. It's been a number of years; so I'm not sure if he's eligible but I'd like to say Ron Waterman. They guy is a genuine Superheavyweight and he can be mistaken for Scott Stiener. I think Mark Colman could have done it; but I think Waterman could have done the same to Coleman. Therefore I'd like to throw my vote in; and say Waterman could have done it; if he forced on him early -like the first 10; any later than that he'll lose a decision- and hammer-fisted untill the ref stepped in.

Again, I'm not sure he's eligible based on what period he was fighiting in; but the late great Evan Tanner is probably the best bet. If anyone in the old UFC could have done it, it'd be him; I don't know how, I just know it could have been him.

If you think any of the suggestions I made earlier, sucked; just remember this: Anderson Silva once lost to Daiju Takase; a fighter from Japan who, going into his match with Silva had 4wins-7losses. And he defeated Silva via Traingle Choke. So stranger things have happened than Tank Abbot possibly getting a win over the greatest fighter in the world.

Holy unholy! That is an intriguing question; but what makes it better/worse is that you've already made the picks that I thought of as I was reading the list of latest threads BEFORE I clicked the link.

Considering the 'old UFC' had no weight divisions; I think a prime Coleman and Shamrock would be the first two candidates that come to mind (prime Tito could take a beating but would get finished.) You have to respect Gracie because of how he -perhaps single handedly- revolutionised martial arts for the first time in like 20 years (after Bruce Lee died) but he'd get killed by today's Silva (pre-Weidman; and perhaps even now) as I doubt he'd survive long enough to Ryo-Chonan Silva who wouldn't have any of that, "I'll let you take me down and sub me because I think that Judo stuff sucks and doesn't work in real life; what do you call it again; BAZILLIONJOOCHEETSU" attitue popular pre-1993. At best, he'd bully him like he did Maia and stand with his hands on his hips as he did with Leites.

Mind you, every fighter mentioned IMHO would have the great/significant -CHANCE- to beat Silva; but Silva would win regardless. Can I say prime Chuck? (I know he wasn't at UFC 1 but his time at the top was finishing as Silva's was starting) At one point he didn't have a glass-jaw; and he could KO anyone they placed in front of him. What Wiedman did; Liddell; if connencted could have done harder. However, even that would depend on whether Silva would keep his hands up or not.

I have a name; actually three, I'm just going to throw them out.

1. This one is not one I'd expect to win by any other means than a flash KO that nobody -even the fighter himself- saw coming: Jason Delucia. Why? I have no clue.

2. Wes Albritton. He lost his only UFC, and overall MMA fight with Tito Ortiz; saying he would try to keep it standing but when it started he immediately walked into a tie up clinch-grapple with Ortiz; who pressured through, mounted him and pounded him to a TKO. Why pick a guy who's 0-1 in MMA? Two reasons, one, we never actually got to see him strike; and he had black belts and Karate, TaeKwonDo (as does Silva) and practed Kickboxing; which owes part of it's hetiage to Muay Thai, which Silva is apparently a whiz at implementing. Two; pure nonsensical superstition: his record before the after his fight with Ortiz is the same as Weidman's record after he KO'ed Silva; except backwards. Weidman's at 10-0 and Albritton's at 0-1.

3. Tank Abbot. Remember at one point, this 'original' Huntington Beach Bad Boy; actually had some 'cred.' Before he ruined it by never-training, calling real martial artists 'Karate ***s' and by losing more fights than he won. Why would he beat a prime silva? Silva saw how miscordinated his next opponent was; decided he didn't need to train -or make weight; as I'm not sure they had weight divisions back then- and fattened himself up to the point he walked in; tired, because he stayed up all night trying to watch every South Park episode on multiple monitors as a hand-eye coordination training excercise cooked up by the Blackhouse members as a joke, went to sleep when Buffer announced his name thinking "Fuck, it's tank abbot? I'm not staying awake for this; yeah, I don't care if it's my own fight; I need my rest." Tank then sat on him, the referee counted to 3 and forgot this wasn't fake-TV wrestling; which is where Tank performed most of his best MMA matches.

Okay; now two 'serious' suggestions.

Can I suggest someone whom almost everyone overlooks. He's got -perhaps not the best record- but not the worst either. It's been a number of years; so I'm not sure if he's eligible but I'd like to say Ron Waterman. They guy is a genuine Superheavyweight and he can be mistaken for Scott Stiener. I think Mark Colman could have done it; but I think Waterman could have done the same to Coleman. Therefore I'd like to throw my vote in; and say Waterman could have done it; if he forced on him early -like the first 10; any later than that he'll lose a decision- and hammer-fisted untill the ref stepped in.

Again, I'm not sure he's eligible based on what period he was fighiting in; but the late great Evan Tanner is probably the best bet. If anyone in the old UFC could have done it, it'd be him; I don't know how, I just know it could have been him.

If you think any of the suggestions I made earlier, sucked; just remember this: Anderson Silva once lost to Daiju Takase; a fighter from Japan who, going into his match with Silva had 4wins-7losses. And he defeated Silva via Traingle Choke. So stranger things have happened than Tank Abbot possibly getting a win over the greatest fighter in the world.

ibkZPJjpmnZ29c.gif

05 Lindland would've domminated 05 Silva

Matt Hughes for sure

Did you know that Anderson Silva and Matt Hughes were scheduled to fight each other on UFC 36? would have been cool but imo Hughes would have won.

btw Anderson defeats all those fighters, Fighters nowadays are much better then the old school fighters, if someone like Coleman would take him down he would get submitted or he would get knee'd while going for a takedown.

Back