Which country contributed more to MMA?

Mexico - Severn, Don F and Rioto Machida

America with wrestling

Sorry but America doesn't get to claim this one. The only thing the USA can claim on wrestling is to not have diluted it as much as freestyle did.

Techniques used in folkstyle can be found carved on the interior walls of the pyramids of Egypt. The techniques used in wrestling are very old and included those use in both war and sport. Again American can only claim to have not diluted it is much as freestyle has.

It will be hard to properly credit wrestlings origins, it predates Egypt and Greece. A lot of the techniques would be illegal today including in MMA.

But way back the Chinese were taught Kung fu or Gong Fu as they call it in China from the Indians.

And the Greeks are going to say the Indians got it from them.

This has been written many times and might be true.

Most of the the real fighting techniques around the world developed in multiple places independently of each other. During peace time martial arts would start becoming stupid and then improve during times where there was a risk of war.

During the Tokagaua period in Japan martial arts went from the practical to the artsy fartsy because of the long period of peace.

The gun spelled the end to much of European martial arts training since more non-professional soldiers were used and it was felt drilling on reloading faster was more important than learning how to fight hand to hand.

Europeans used to know how to kick but that was lost in the age of the matchlock except for Savate.

No one gets a claim to martial arts because they started developing the moment people started fighting and much of it led to the same techniques being found. The difference is how what we call martial arts was lost.

By strict definition (martial arts) (Military Arts) just changed. By definition flying a fighter or a bomber is a martial art. Europeans were probably right in thinking it was more important to push people from two shots a minute to one shot a minute plus very basic bayonet skills.

Last edited:
I would have to say three countries Japan, U.S.A Brazil, these three countries contributed to the growth of MMA in there own ways. Brazil because of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and the Gracie's, U.S.A because of the UFC and Japan because of Pride and Dream.

I would have to say three countries Japan, U.S.A Brazil, these three countries contributed to the growth of MMA in there own ways. Brazil because of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and the Gracie's, U.S.A because of the UFC and Japan because of Pride and Dream.

Hmm, the UFC was created by Rorion Gracie. If it wasn't for the Gracies there would be no UFC. Yes, Zuffa made it big, but somebody had to have the idea first and that idea came from Brazil.

It will be hard to properly credit wrestlings origins, it predates Egypt and Greece. A lot of the techniques would be illegal today including in MMA.
I think it's safe to say that people have been tackling each other for thousands of years.

What are some of these fouls you mention though?

I think it's safe to say that people have been tackling each other for thousands of years.

What are some of these fouls you mention though?

You might wish to (or not wish to, actually) google this yourself, you might find that in some countries, certain forced sexual acts were "legal" and in other countries the wrestling itself was done nude.

You might wish to (or not wish to, actually) google this yourself, you might find that in some countries, certain forced sexual acts were "legal" and in other countries the wrestling itself was done nude.
Oh my.

I think you're right. :D

You know, that makes sense though. I mean, my personal experience with that culture is pretty much limited to reading The Kite Runner, but as far as I know, in the Middle East they view raping a dude in the ass a little differently than we do here... haha.

Back