Wheres the proof that soccer is the biggest sport in the world?

Soccer is the most popular in Europe, most Africa and most of South America. It tends to be secondary in the most populated countries on earth with us the Chinese and Indians all having our own sporting customs. Soccer is the most popular in more countries than anything else but it's far from universal.

Interestingly despite soccer originating in England, most of the English speaking world are the ones who prefer other sports. For example Football, basketball and baseball being numero one in the US, Rugby is number one in South Africa, Australia(though that map says cricket) and New Zealand, Hockey being number one in Canada, Cricket being number one in India.

Yeah, it is still hugely popular in China and India. As a spectator sport it is #1 in China and #2 in India.......and it's growing every year.

It is also pretty popular (at least top 5) in Australia, Canada and South Africa, too. It's even the 5th most watched sport in the US.

So basically even where "it is not popular", it actually is.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is still hugely popular in China and India. As a spectator sport it is #1 in China and #2 in India.......and it's growing every year.

It is also pretty popular (at least top 5) in Australia, Canada and South Africa, too. It's even the 5th most watched sport in the US.

As a Canadian, dude soccer is not popular here. In Toronto, maybe it's the 5th. But the rest of the country, doesn't care. It's below:
Hockey
Basketball
Baseball
Football
Curling (lol)

Well yeah in giant countries like China, India and the US being the fifth most popular sport might mean more fans than being the universal sport in smaller countries. That doesn't mean it's most popular.

In the US interestingly soccer actually used to be super popular in the early 20th century before the Depression. Soccer got way more boring and defensively focused and less appealing to US audiences.

<TrumpWrong1>
Soccer or Association Football originated in Scotland, we just stole it off them and hush everything up, and claimed it was us that invented the game that is the most popular in the world.

I meant to say the UK. My bad. Scots are part of the UK(for now at least), it's the only English speaking country(or just about) the only one where soccer is the most popular sport. It's also one of the only ones that calls Soccer "football".

Well yeah in giant countries like China, India and the US being the fifth most popular sport might mean more fans than being the universal sport in smaller countries. That doesn't mean it's most popular.

In the US interestingly soccer actually used to be super popular in the early 20th century before the Depression. Soccer got way more boring and defensively focused and less appealing to US audiences.

As I said it's #1 in China and #2 in India for TV ratings, not 5th.

Which-sport-makes-the-most-money.png

There you go. And in terms of viewership the graph will be even far more skewed since soccer is popular worldwide (including poorer regions), while most of the other sports on the list aren't.

It's by far the most popular.

Although the main reason for that by far is the fact that people with any financial status can play it and you can practice alone almost anywhere.

It's basically a sport for poor people, which most of the world is.
enough of that exuse that they play it is not expensive to play , and that is the reason why it is popular around the world. it is very interesting very hard to play and master very exiting and very high and low full of emotions. you can play all the other sports from basketball to football to baseball do not have a baseball tennis ball dont have a basketball soccer ball or we sometimes played with tennis ball ,basketball in bosnia. nfl same thing over there nobody cared but here i mean you can play with other balls

This is the worst troll/bait attempt I've ever seen.
<mma4>
Calls out trolls

In all honesty, soccer is the most popular because:

A) you need don't need to be a great athlete (anyone can play)

B) you can be from shitholes like Africa or South America and still play, because you only need feet, and something round.

C) 99% of the planet can relate to jogging and kicking a ball. No matter what country you're from, you do this as an infant.

It's global appeal is that everyone can understand. It's a simple sport. American football is not. It's difficult to understand, difficult to watch, and you need equipment.

While it might suck to watch soccer, it truly is the ultimate universal team sport. I can respect it, and the skill level is second to maybe Baseball and hockey, but unlike those sports, it requires nothing to participate.

I'm not American, but I do believe America has the best athletes on earth, and truly believe that if Americans ditched basketball and football, and focuses solely on soccer, they'd be the world Cup favourites every year.
<{1-17}>
Is a troll

The Most Popular Sports In The World:
1. Association Football (Soccer) - 4 Billion Fans
2. Cricket - 2.5 Billion Fans
3. Field Hockey - 2 Billion Fans
4. Tennis - 1 Billion Fans
5. Volleyball - 900 Million Fans
6. Table Tennis - 875 Million Fans
7. Basketball - 825 Million Fans
8. Baseball - 500 Million Fans
9. Rugby - 475 Million Fans
10. Golf - 450 Million Fans

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-are-the-most-popular-sports-in-the-world.html

Messi & Ronaldo are more well known around the world than any stars from American sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) other than maybe Michael jordan, but that's only because of Space Jam. Ask most people outside the US who tom Brady is and they would never have even heard of him. Also the world cup is the worlds largest sporting event.

2015 Rugby World Cup had 1 Billion viewers.

2015 Cricket World Cup had 2.2 Billion viewers. (Don't ask me how cricket sucks)

2018 Tour De France had 3.5 Billion viewers

2018 FIFA World Cup had 3.6 Billion viewers

2008 Olympics had 4.7 Billion viewers.

What numbers are the Superbowl pumping out rookie?

2015 Rugby World Cup had 1 Billion viewers.

2015 Cricket World Cup had 2.2 Billion viewers. (Don't ask me how cricket sucks)

2018 Tour De France had 3.5 Billion viewers

2018 FIFA World Cup had 3.6 Billion viewers

2008 Olympics had 4.7 Billion viewers.

What numbers are the Superbowl pumping out rookie?

You understand they aren't all watching at the same time (unlike the superbowl), right?

Back