where would I learn leg lock moves

I think that teaching a new student a leg lock makes about as much sense as teaching them a flying oma-plata. Once someone gets some experience its okay to teach leg locks I learned most leg locks as a white belt but i learned to defend them first which was a nice touch because you learn the effects of the holds and get a good understanding of the fundamentals of them. But even as a whitebelt i never spent much time on leg locks because when could you use them in a tournament? so what was the point. Now that I've advanced knee bars and toe holds are my bread and butter and i get to use them in tournaments so its great.

I think that teaching a new student a leg lock makes about as much sense as teaching them a flying oma-plata.

This is not even a close comparison. There are a range of leg locks from basic achilles to rolling.diving scissor leg locks on various joints. A basic knee bar, for example is much less complicted than a flying oma-plata. In fact, a basic knee bar is no more complicated than a basic arm bar.

But even as a whitebelt i never spent much time on leg locks because when could you use them in a tournament?

This I would agree with. If you are not going to use them and you are specifically focused on rules which don't allow them, then there is no need to learn them.

sambosteve said:
This is not even a close comparison. There are a range of leg locks from basic achilles to rolling.diving scissor leg locks on various joints. A basic knee bar, for example is much less complicted than a flying oma-plata. In fact, a basic knee bar is no more complicated than a basic arm bar.

I guess i didn't explain my point too well its not that the moves are so complicated its just that i don't think a whitebelt is really going to use (or should use) leg locks any more than some complicated low percentage move. The other problem is that you can really give up position going for leg locks. I had a white belt try to toe hold me today and he basically positioned me right past his guard so i didn't have to do anything i just ended up in side control

Back