where to train in north carolina

chuckatuk

White Belt
Reaction score
i am new to the site and decided to post this here.{move it if in the wrong area}i am looking somewhere to train in the raleigh, clayton area.i checked the schedules and alot of the schools start a little to early for me.i am looking somewhere as close to clayton as possible.thanks for looking, gary
i am interested in any bjj,grappling mma training.

Well there is a team ROC in Angier, and one in North Raleigh.

It depends on where you are in clayton as to what is close. Close to 40+42 or are you more in town closer to 70 or the east side of town on 42 headed to the boonies?

I live in Raleigh, and there are only 2 places i would consider training. I currently train at Crossfit NC, where we have 2 Royce Gracie blackbelts as our instructors. The other is the "Raleigh institute of martial arts", where one of the blackbelts instructs part time along with a number of other talented instructors. I dont know of anything closer to clayton.

La Boxing is opening a gym in Cary.

Do you know when? Will this have BJJ classes? Do you know who the instructor or affiliations will be by chance? I live down the road and this would be a godsend.

-thanks

I live in Raleigh, and there are only 2 places i would consider training. I currently train at Crossfit NC, where we have 2 Royce Gracie blackbelts as our instructors. The other is the "Raleigh institute of martial arts", where one of the blackbelts instructs part time along with a number of other talented instructors. I dont know of anything closer to clayton.

i think im going to start goingn to crossfit or RIMA next school year. how do you like crossfit?

Actually TFTC is closer to him if he is in the 40+42 area. Its a ROC gym in Angier, and its about an 18 minute drive from the last light ( the one west bound at the Ashley Turner Plaza) at 40+42. If you need to ask about credentials there, ask Billy or Jason (of Crossfit) what the place in Angier is like.

Simps3d where do you live in relation to Cary by chance? East/west/ north or south side of cary?

I live off Maynard, in between Kildaire farm rd and Old Apex Rd. Its like 5-10 minutes from Harrison but thats a lot closer than going to Raleigh, Durham, Wake Forrest or Clayton. I was just interested if there was any news about the LA Boxing because its the first I've heard of it. I just did some research and found their site. Unfortunatly, theres no info on there yet. http://www.laboxing.com/cary/

Did Greg Thompson from Team-ROC promote those guys?

Angier isnt too far for you, but its a decent hike from Maynard. LA Boxing is more a franchise, I cant speak to the overall quality of their facilities (I have heard some are great and others....not as great) but there is supposed to be a crossfit (Roc affiliated) opening in Cary sometime in the near future. I think promoting the local fights put that on a slight hold, but as far as I know there is one coming to Raleigh.

Did Greg Thompson from Team-ROC promote those guys?

Pretty sure Royce (greg's teacher) promoted them. Greg is their instructor though, but I think it was Royce who did the honors of "knighting" them, which I think is the proper etiquette (for the senior/master level guy to give the black) but I really dont know how the formalities work.

Angier isnt too far for you, but its a decent hike from Maynard. LA Boxing is more a franchise, I cant speak to the overall quality of their facilities (I have heard some are great and others....not as great) but there is supposed to be a crossfit (Roc affiliated) opening in Cary sometime in the near future. I think promoting the local fights put that on a slight hold, but as far as I know there is one coming to Raleigh.

Ya it would probably be 5 minutes vs.30-40 minutes of a drive. I'll keep my eyes on it. I'm looking to start somewhere in April.

I saw the Angier gym on the roc web site but the link is dead has anyone been there and have any info thanks in advance.

I train at TFTC, its a great place. If you want to ask me any specifics let me know.

i go to NC State but live in Charlotte. so i'm probably going to try to start in charlotte over the summer and then go to a place here in Raleigh next school year.

i go to NC State but live in Charlotte. so i'm probably going to try to start in charlotte over the summer and then go to a place here in Raleigh next school year.

Joe Hurst's gym is in Concord right outside Charlotte, i'd go there.

Back