where to train in north carolina

Joe Hurst's gym is in Concord right outside Charlotte, i'd go there.

yea it seemed like there were a few pretty good places in the charlotte area. the thing is that i live in south charlotte so concord is like 45ish minutes away from me. i was looking at a place called ultimate-gym or something but i couldnt tell from the website what the instructor's credentials were, so im a bit apprehensive to go there.

Pretty sure Royce (greg's teacher) promoted them. Greg is their instructor though, but I think it was Royce who did the honors of "knighting" them, which I think is the proper etiquette (for the senior/master level guy to give the black) but I really dont know how the formalities work.

Royce promoted Jason, Billy, and Aitor Canup. Our head instructor of Team ROC is Greg Thompson (who is a 1st dan from what I know), but from what I understand a 1st dan is only allowed to promote to purple belt. I'm pretty sure you have to be at least a 3rd dan to promote to black belt, which is why they got promoted by Royce.

Royce promoted Jason, Billy, and Aitor Canup. Our head instructor of Team ROC is Greg Thompson (who is a 1st dan from what I know), but from what I understand a 1st dan is only allowed to promote to purple belt. I'm pretty sure you have to be at least a 3rd dan to promote to black belt, which is why they got promoted by Royce.

I think you can promote to black once you get your first "stripe" on black.

I saw the Angier gym on the roc web site but the link is dead has anyone been there and have any info thanks in advance.

When the owners changed hands (From Brian to Neal) they apparently had no idea when the annual renewal was going to come up. They are both cavemen with no computer skills, but will have the web site back up by April.

i would say Team ROC
i go 2 one of the team ROC in NC and it's good.
We had a guy come teach the class from Raleigh's Team ROC the other day.

LOL @ the ppl who suggested LA Boxing. Is the threadstarter a 40 year old woman?

For Muay Thai go to NBS Gym or RIMA.

If you're available in the afternoons, I HIGHLY recommend taking classes at NBS in the afternoon because it's almost like getting a private lesson.

For a mix, I'd go to Crossfit/Team ROC

For pure jiu jitsu, I'd go to Pendergrass. Nothing against ROC, I know they have a great program down there, but Pendergrass is smaller and you'll get more attention. I think the decesion on whether or not you go to ROC or Pendergrass will either be geographics, or your style of jiu jitsu. ROC is more expensive too.

ROC's style is a little more aggressive. While Pendergrass, a bit more relaxed.

www.nbsgym.com http://www.4kickbox.com/ (rima)

Theres a karate school in a shopping center (it's right off that main road you take to and from raleigh. Coming from Raleigh it would be on your right. Oh, and I think I remember it being next to a McDonald's. Might not be in the same parking lot though.) in Clayton that does Grappling at least a couple times a week.

Whether they're any good or not, I dunno...I think it's safe to assume you won't be getting the same quality as you would (15 miles?) further to your north.

How do you know the difference in a blanket statement between Pendegrass and Roc without having trained with both for a good while? Which you may have, and is my real question.

As for the "mongolian grappling" guy in Clayton.....I have heard some things, none bad but a few odd statements supposedly from him and his guys. Since I have never heard them first hand I never saw fit to sweat it, but have heard some odd claims.

I would agree NBS is much more kicboxing focused, but I dont know about RIMA being much better than ROC, Ted and Jon both seem to know what they are doing and have a similar skill teaching level (judging by the guys they train with).

LOL @ the ppl who suggested LA Boxing. Is the threadstarter a 40 year old woman?

For Muay Thai go to NBS Gym or RIMA.

If you're available in the afternoons, I HIGHLY recommend taking classes at NBS in the afternoon because it's almost like getting a private lesson.

For a mix, I'd go to Crossfit/Team ROC

For pure jiu jitsu, I'd go to Pendergrass. Nothing against ROC, I know they have a great program down there, but Pendergrass is smaller and you'll get more attention. I think the decesion on whether or not you go to ROC or Pendergrass will either be geographics, or your style of jiu jitsu. ROC is more expensive too.

ROC's style is a little more aggressive. While Pendergrass, a bit more relaxed.

www.nbsgym.com http://www.4kickbox.com/ (rima)

Have you trained at NBS or Pendergrass Academy? I've trained at both. Do I know you?

^yeah I'm Scott, whats up Alan.

How do you know the difference in a blanket statement between Pendegrass and Roc without having trained with both for a good while? Which you may have, and is my real question.

As for the "mongolian grappling" guy in Clayton.....I have heard some things, none bad but a few odd statements supposedly from him and his guys. Since I have never heard them first hand I never saw fit to sweat it, but have heard some odd claims.

I would agree NBS is much more kicboxing focused, but I dont know about RIMA being much better than ROC, Ted and Jon both seem to know what they are doing and have a similar skill teaching level (judging by the guys they train with).

What blanket statement did I make? I know a ROC instructor and have rolled a little over there. I used to train with Pendergrass.

I don't know as far as RIMA being better than ROC for kickboxing either. Their program seemed a little more geared to pure kickboxing (hey, they have a ring). But I hold no opinion as to which program is better as I've only watched a little bit at each school. For all I know they could have the same muay thai instructors.

You might even like the ROC muay thai over NBS because it's a lot more structured. It's run more the way you're used being taught. They work on their kicks and their combos in coordination as an instructor walks around and checks you. NBS muay thai isn't as structured and theres no real timeline. Whereas I believe ROC's muay thai they work straight through the class with just a couple water breaks here and there. At NBS you'll find people working on their own thing and its more of an open campus environment. LOL.

As far as pure technique though I don't think you're going to get better than NBS if you're in Raleigh. If you need to get a good cardio workout on a daily basis, ROC's muay thai might be a better choice.

I dont know about a Mongolian grappling guy in Clayton, that may have been what I saw on the schedule, I dunno. I just know it was in a McDojo.

If you're going to do Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai, gotta go with team roc because their grappling program is better than RIMAs.

I've been considering Pendergrass Academy but the drive is gonna kill me 30-40 minutes at least, way out in Wake Forrest. I'm looking for something with a friendly laid back hobby atmosphere, not a hardcore everyone, is the next MMA star hardcore type place.

I drove by the LA Boxing location and its still under construction. I found out info though about who will be teaching. Al Simmons. info here... http://www.silercitycombatsports.com/events.html
I dont see any mention of straight up BJJ classes, which is what I'm looking for. I've only seen info for Boxing and MMA. Anyone know anymore. I call the number and no one answers. I think they are behind schedule on their construction. This place is literally 3-5 minutes down the road for me so hopefully they'll have BJJ.

What blanket statement did I make? I know a ROC instructor and have rolled a little over there. I used to train with Pendergrass.

I don't know as far as RIMA being better than ROC for kickboxing either. Their program seemed a little more geared to pure kickboxing (hey, they have a ring). But I hold no opinion as to which program is better as I've only watched a little bit at each school. For all I know they could have the same muay thai instructors.

I didnt mean it in a confrontational way. I was curious as to whether you had trained at pendagrass and ROC. I teach at a ROC location, but trained with both the Pendegrass brothers and Billy when they were all blue belts and for a good while thereafter. My thinking is their teaching and classes wont be taught in a very different manner, but of course the people ( training there) could be different.

As for RIMA and ROC (Crossfit) comparisons, my guess was they are more or less tit for tat, which is all I said. I also trained for a few years with the guy Wes and Amy started with in kickboxing (yes I know it was not "traditional" thai, but to me western boxing mixed with good leg kicks and thai concepts more matches my temprament, style, and what people see in the ring here in the states) before they went trad. thai,

I was simply curious if you had trained BJJ with both the twins and Billy, since you viewed one as more a pure BJJ/less aggressive enviroment. I pass no judgements or views on any of the places or programs I mentioned. I was just familiar with all of them to some degree (some alot and some only in passing knowledge) and was interested to know if someone else here actually had trained with all these people, thats all.

I didnt mean it in a confrontational way. I was curious as to whether you had trained at pendagrass and ROC. I teach at a ROC location, but trained with both the Pendegrass brothers and Billy when they were all blue belts and for a good while thereafter. My thinking is their teaching and classes wont be taught in a very different manner, but of course the people ( training there) could be different.

As for RIMA and ROC (Crossfit) comparisons, my guess was they are more or less tit for tat, which is all I said. I also trained for a few years with the guy Wes and Amy started with in kickboxing (yes I know it was not "traditional" thai, but to me western boxing mixed with good leg kicks and thai concepts more matches my temprament, style, and what people see in the ring here in the states) before they went trad. thai,

I was simply curious if you had trained BJJ with both the twins and Billy, since you viewed one as more a pure BJJ/less aggressive enviroment. I pass no judgements or views on any of the places or programs I mentioned. I was just familiar with all of them to some degree (some alot and some only in passing knowledge) and was interested to know if someone else here actually had trained with all these people, thats all.

I have not trained with any of the team ROC guys (but I'm thinking about trying to, I moved to Glenwood avenue and driving to Wake Forest is no fun at all), but both Guy and Rob speak very highly of Billy, so I'm sure it's a great place to train.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either ROC or the twin's place. If I wasn't already with the Pendergrass brothers I'd go to Crossfit simply because it's closer.

Back