Where the GOATS thought of as prospects when they started?

Longtime fan and competitor here (check join date)

I remember GSP being considered a title contender upon entering the UFC but no one really thought he would dethrone Hughes. His first match with Hughes went about as expected but I remember after watching him beat Trigg and Sherk badly after that hes going to have a really good shot at beating him in a rematch because his defensive wrestling became absolutely bonkers.

Personal perspective:
Jones was known as Rashads training partner until he beat Shogun. He was a talented prospect but i dont think anyone expected him to win the belt.
GSP had a lot of UFC hype around him. He got an early title shot at Hughes and was very humble in defeat. So that gained him a lot of fans. Then he went on a tear that included B.J. Penn and Sean Sherk who were two of the top guys in the division.
Silva was introduced as a Pride veteran and i dont think he had much hype behind him. It was a weird time cause all the old Pride fans were getting to finally see some of the UFC vs Pride matchups they had been wishing for.
Everyone knew Silva was a game fighter and knew Leben was an animal. I dont think many knew Silva would go on the run he did until he made Rich Franklin look like an amateur.

Fedor i cant say much about. I wasnt around for his rise. I started hearing about him after he had already started his run in Pride.
Lol Jones was seen as the future after the Bonnar fight

Lol Jones was seen as the future after the Bonnar fight

That whole post sounds like theyre just reading off Wikipedia bios as they were typing.

Imagine after cracking Veras orbital, beating Bader and the Bonnar fight that noone had really gave a shit about Jones.

Gus was pretty clearly elite back then. Elite TDD (consistently stuffed prime JJ) and striking (outstriking JJ, Shogun, Diabate, etc)

Wow that’s news to me!

Although it would have been hella interesting to see how he would have fared outside of the 10-point must system!
Pre Serra GSP in Pride.... Man I'm gonna be thinking about that all day

<LikeReally5>

Don’t be that guy, of course Gus was elite, he damn near beat Jones and DC for the belt

And lost both. Also got the DC fight coming off a loss.

He was a great fighter, top 5 for sure. Elite? Na.

With knees to a downed opponent? Pretty damn well.
- Sakakibara: "Hello, Mr No Rush-san...Sakakibara callin´...'
- No Rush: "Bonjour, Boss-san!"

- Sakakibara: "See, in your last fight against Buscape, you had 12 yellow cards... and since we doubled up on that UFC offer, you now owe us 400 $"'
- No Rush: "...."

- Sakakibara: "OK... We have no more Bushido cards this year, but there´s a spot at the OW Tournament, against Randleman...Are you in?'
- No Rush: "uh, see...sorry, Ive jus´received a 100K $ offer from UFC...Bye!"

loloool.png

Negociation certified by: @Typrune Goatley

Last edited:
i dont think anderson was considered a prospect when he came to the ufc.

he was 31 with 21 mma fights.

GSP, Aldo and bones were definitely A+ prospects.

Fedor and Silva were sort of alrdy established as top fighters in smaller circuits so it was a bit different

Too big.

Certified by: @ThunderStruck

Nuff´Said.

Shit in PRIDE one would pretty much be expected to be flexible with an opponent’s weight.

I don’t think they would let GSP fight Carlos Newton over and over and over again. Lol

Im guessing he would make sure to stay in Bushido the whole time but man it would have fun to see Good Guy George fight blood thirsty Pele and his mean ass. lol

A fight with Manhoef would have been expected at some point I’m sure.

Last edited:
Back