Where is a good place in Brooklyn to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

Mudkip

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good place in Brooklyn to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

I've enrolled in some academies before but they were all more interested in my profit and allegiance (contracts binding me to their academies so I can continue to pay them) to them than anything else. The prices these academies charged neared $200 a month which I personally find ridiculous as I'm being taught by someone with less than 6 years of experience in the art. It also shouldn't take much to teach a beginner. Correct me if I am wrong though about the price being too high.

What about training Judo instead?

From what I read, I doubt you will find the price range you are looking for.

So its supposed to be $200 per month to train as a white belt?

The amount of training I get from this certain academy is 2-3 hours per week. I am also training on the mat with 15-25 other people at the SAME time.

from what i read the average is at least $150.

For a good school in NYC that seems about right man. I mean I pay less than that but i live in Mass and train in New Hampshire so obviously it's a completely different price range.

Just as far as quality of instructors I believe Gene Dunn (Renzo Gracie BB, also sick Judo) has a school in Brooklyn. Met him before he's a very nice guy and he has very good old school jiu jitsu, check that out

For that money, you can go to manhattan and learn from world champion blakbelts/ ufc fighters/ legends of the sport (renzo, shaolin, marcelo, lucas lepri, etc)

I live in brooklyn too, truth is you wont find better instruction then manhattan...

where in brooklyn? everyone always talks about price but i train at rockaway jiu jitsu (renzo gracie affiliate gym) and i pay 90 bucks a month. training under stewart carroll (purple belt) who trains under john danaher. classes are small (usually 4-8 students) and you get a lot of hands on time with the instructor..

The Brooklyn BJJ scene is dominated by Brooklyn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Like i've said before they really aren't my cup of tea but you should check just to make sure for yourself. All the really competitive schools are in Manhattan.

The amount of training I get from this certain academy is 2-3 hours per week. I am also training on the mat with 15-25 other people at the SAME time.

just fyi--- i don't believe any school iin the world charges based on belt, this would lead to serious quality issues.

now, 2 times a week or unlimited--this is different.

The Brooklyn BJJ scene is dominated by Brooklyn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Like i've said before they really aren't my cup of tea but you should check just to make sure for yourself. All the really competitive schools are in Manhattan.

I've checked them. They charged me $180 per month to learn from a purple belt under Gene Dunn for 2-3 hours a week. They also bind you to a 6 month contract.

Does anyone know of any other places I can check out?

I've checked them. They charged me $180 per month to learn from a purple belt under Gene Dunn for 2-3 hours a week. They also bind you to a 6 month contract.

read the rest of the posts.....

for the best instruction you will HAVE to travel into the city for.

Are you not sure if you want to dedicate yourself for 6 months? or you're not sure if you'll like the place? or not sure what your financial situation will be for 6 months?
Anyplace legit in Manhattan will be more than $180, and you very likely will have to sign up for some contracted time. I think most people would consider 6 months a short commitment to ask for.

Brian Glick teaches at Brooklyn BJJ (and i think owns it, or helps run it, you can ask them). He often fills in for John Danaher in the afternoons at RGA when John's out (which is not very often). I think Brian is extremely knowledgeable, and articulate.

If I remember right one of the BBJJ schools are run by a purple. And you pay $180 for the first 6 months then when you move up to the advance class the tuition goes up as well. Like I've said, the schools in the city are far better.

I've enrolled in some academies before but they were all more interested in my profit and allegiance (contracts binding me to their academies so I can continue to pay them) to them than anything else.

In terms of schools interested in profit and contracts, some schools are certainly more interested in profit than say progressing and spreading the art however in my experience, those schools are few and far between in BJJ. Are there schools out there like this? yes for sure. Are there some in the NYC area? Yes. However do schools need contracts and to charge accordingly to survive in NYC? ABSOLUTELY.

The days and the fantasy or finding an old martial arts master and them taking you on a disciple are long gone. To run a professional school and to allow a martial arts instructor the opportunity to teach for a living means that they must make money. Its simple.

Its rather annoying to see people whine about contracts. The fact of the matter is, YOU ARE NOT entitled to train whenever you want and pay as you go. To join the school you are COMMITING to a term be in 6 months or 12 months or what have you. Now if you find a school that does a monthly fee, good for you but don't whine about the schools that don't.

I agree with Kimuralex (just this once :icon_chee ) if you are serious about bjj training you need to go to the city. If you just wanna wrassle abit and dont want the contract, travel, or excessive fees I would recomend freestyle/greco wrestling at the brrokyn wrestling club or judo at brighton judo (both at same location, check both out) Brighton Judo Club .
Again the jiujitsu in the city might be expensive but they have the best of the best teaching, and definitely much better than the very questionable purple belts you found in brooklyn.
Edit:regarding the judo/wrestling most of the instruction is in russian/broken english, but they will help you personally in english/translate for you (I don't speak russian, and did just fine).

like i said i pay $90 month for a 6th month contract. without its $100a month or 20 dollars per class. rockaway jiu-jitsu.

The rate doesn't have anything to do with your rank. You're living in New York. Everything is expensive. I train in Nassau County just outside the Queens border, and the rates are 150/month, which is considered quite reasonable for the area. The closer you get to the city, the more expensive things get.

Every school has it's good and bad points. As a member of Brooklyn Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (13th avenue location) for a year and a half, I will point out the things I personally dislike (especially the rules that I believe shouldn't imply), as well as the things I do enjoy:

1) Student Creed - after every session, you have to vocally participate and read aloud the student banister in unison with the class. Think of grade school "pledge of allegiance to the flag".

2) Specific Uniform regulation - a new rule applied starting the beginning of this month, stating you have to wear a blue uniform giving from the school or a blue atami gi as long as you're in the advanced training program. Which means ALL the white Gi's you previously have been training with are rendered useless in BBJJ (burn them on your own discretion).

3) No showering area or GI laundry service - speaks for itself

4) Contract - beginners receive a 6 month contract then when moving to the advanced training program, you have to sign another 2 year, which you may opt-out after the first year (technically it's 1 year program if you know about the opt-out option)

5) Morale - the new students and class seniors are generally very friendly.

6) Instruction - Brian Glick is a phenomal teacher and very articulate with details. However, this is the only school I've trained in, therefore, my experience and opinion can be very limiting.

7) Lectures - The lectures and speeches given after every class involves -- what type of person you should be, loyalty to the school, and how video games aren't good for you. If this isn't all brainwashing, given in military tone, then call me an idiot for saying so.

If you believe the positives override the negatives, then this school is for you. Also, If you're looking for affordable schools in Manhattan, you should check out Jacao's or Shaolin's school, they should cost under $200. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back