1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Where has the oblique kick/teep to the knee gone?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Young Calf Kick, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Young Calf Kick Orange Belt

Even though it’s kind of a dick move, I haven’t really seen much fighters utilize it since Jon Jones in the Santos fight.

Could be mixed up well with the currently very popular calf kick, no?

2. 13Seconds Silver Belt

O'malley used it alot vs Almeida

EXOICHO, Po, Goldentrophy and 2 others like this.
  3. Redfish Brown Belt

Whittaker does it. Till cried about it. Agree it's really effective!

4. JohnnyDragon Orange Belt

I'll never understand why people think this is a 'dick move' You can kick to the legs and damage the sciatic nerve or block the kick and shatter someone's shin (like with Silva/Weidman). But if you kick and damage someone's knee, suddenly that's going too far? Weird ethics

5. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

It's a smart move.

FIghtxIQ likes this.
  6. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Till, Whittaker and Wonderboy all use it now.

7. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

It’s obviously highly effective if it lands, but it it also leaves you overextended and exposed.

Guys like Jones can get away with it against inferior strikers because of his length but against any respectable striker it can get you KO’d.

If Izzy committed to his kick he would’ve scored the KO for sure:

(Had both the kick and the 2 wide open)

[​IMG]

8. 13Seconds Silver Belt

I hate the oblique kick. But i accept it as a perfectly legal technique. It's a great weapon against aggressive fighters that wants to close the distance.

It's just an opinion thing. People like and dislike different stuff. Personally i have a soft spot for knees. A fucked knee can end your career. It's worse than the injury you first mentioned.

BAKM, Tibbles, EXOICHO and 7 others like this.
  9. IAfight Blue Belt

You still see it being used, mostly as a distracting tactic. There have been many discussions about it, but to be honest, it's never been the devastating blow that critics of the technique claim it to be. I can understand why some people look at it with disdain, but you could probably do more damage by shooting a takedown or cranking a submission.

10. FIghtxIQ Brown Belt

It's a great move and most just don't practice the move or know how to do it effectively. I learned it in muay thai and have always used it. I know it isn't a typical muay thai move but my traditional muay thai instructor used it all the time and I learned it from him. He used it in all of his muay thai fights and no one ever called it a dick move.

Carrotman23 likes this.
  11. SeaChad Orange Belt

People don't like it because it could mean long term injuries for their fave fighters. Not good for the sport. Should be banned.

Po and eighterumg5 like this.
  12. Stuart0502 Yellow Belt

I thought there was a video where he was saying it was bad but he later clarified it was trolling because he uses it himself.

Chael_Sonnen likes this.
  13. Ald0 Brown Belt

Cant remember who was doing it this past card but I saw it being used a few times on Saturday

14. fg1985bg Blue Belt

Not a particular fan of the move. Never have been. It’s relatively easy to land and with frequency in the hands of the right person (Jones) and could have severe consequences for a fighter being injured.

To me, I’ve always perceived it as a rather dick head move to use but I also understand that it’s highly effective so fighters are going to continue to use.

eighterumg5 likes this.
  15. Carrotman23 Of Rivia

Anything to win the fight thats legal pussies <22> . Its in effective kick at times Whittaker uses it a lot .

16. NoSmilez Silver Belt

It’s hard to watch when Jones spams it against the old gen 5’11 guys. It isn’t used to finish the fight but rather maim the opponent.

Jones just had a disgustingly cheesy meta then. You move in and you will get face full of fingers. You move away then you get push kick to the knee.

17. Pain4Pain Green Belt

It’s most effective for the fighter with height and reach in keeping the opponent away.

Jones can use it well since guys with good boxing in the pocket give him the most trouble. Someone like Izzy and Holloway can make good use of it.

Surprisingly to me is the lack of guys who throw liver kicks. Even orthodox fighters kicking with their lead leg like Edmen make good use of it, not just the southpaws

Redfish likes this.
  18. christopher Blue Belt

19. Redfish Brown Belt

You're talking about a sport where elbows and knees to the head are ok so there is that. Not saying it's a bit dirty, it's a nasty technique for sure, but I do get excited when Jones does it. It's a fight.

20. Redfish Brown Belt

That's what makes it so hard for Jones opponents. It's so difficult to engage. Go too close and he jars your lower limbs with that oblique kick. Make it to the inside, hello elbows. Whatever it's a whole world of pain.