Where has the oblique kick/teep to the knee gone?

Even though it’s kind of a dick move, I haven’t really seen much fighters utilize it since Jon Jones in the Santos fight.

Could be mixed up well with the currently very popular calf kick, no?
Rob and yoel messed each other up enough with it everyone is back to mutually agreed not to use it...unless your the guys with the weakest chicken legs in the game, like o'malley and jones. Imagine if Nnganou surprised jones and smashed a front kick into his knee just right. It would end his career

Rob and yoel messed each other up enough with it everyone is back to mutually agreed not to use it...unless your the guys with the weakest chicken legs in the game, like o'malley and jones. Imagine if Nnganou surprised jones and smashed a front kick into his knee just right. It would end his career
Please!!

Dustin should use it on conor, especially in orthodox stance.
Max should use it more often. It's part of the reason why beat pettis.
Wonderboy should use it
As should reyes.

That's what makes it so hard for Jones opponents. It's so difficult to engage. Go too close and he jars your lower limbs with that oblique kick. Make it to the inside, hello elbows. Whatever it's a whole world of pain.
It's the fingers to the eyes that made it hard to get close. He uses the oblique kick offensively

It’s obviously highly effective if it lands, but it it also leaves you overextended and exposed.

Guys like Jones can get away with it against inferior strikers because of his length but against any respectable striker it can get you KO’d.

If Izzy committed to his kick he would’ve scored the KO for sure:

(Had both the kick and the 2 wide open)

giphy.gif
Izzy was off balance from moving back, look at his feet. It wasn't a matter of "committing" to the kick. He threw the best shot he could.

But yeah, it leaves you open and overextended. Only useful in certain situations, against certain opponents.

@Young Calf Kick
I'd say it's still fairly present in the sport, but like Brasil Wand said, it can be very risky to throw it without having a huge reach advantage - so since Jon Jones hasn't fought for a while, we haven't seen an equally extensive use of it compared to times where Jones did fight.

Besides that, i also think it's fairly difficult to land compared to other leg kicks, so it takes really crafty fighters to successfully use it.

I like Whittaker's "Yoel fucked my knee up in the first fight so I'm going to do it to everyone else" trick.

It’s obviously highly effective if it lands, but it it also leaves you overextended and exposed.

Guys like Jones can get away with it against inferior strikers because of his length but against any respectable striker it can get you KO’d.

If Izzy committed to his kick he would’ve scored the KO for sure:

(Had both the kick and the 2 wide open)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'll never understand why people think this is a 'dick move' You can kick to the legs and damage the sciatic nerve or block the kick and shatter someone's shin (like with Silva/Weidman). But if you kick and damage someone's knee, suddenly that's going too far? Weird ethics

Nothing weird about it. A shin heals up much more easily than a knee. Targeting the knees is seen as a dick move by athletes in every sport. Mostly because they want to be able to walk after their careers are over.

Nothing weird about it. A shin heals up much more easily than a knee. Targeting the knees is seen as a dick move by athletes in every sport. Mostly because they want to be able to walk after their careers are over.
Thiago Santos says "hold my beer"

Dunno I've seen plenty of them across various orgs.

<Neil01>

It isn't really useful IMO.

Is there a time besides Jones/ Rampage where it really did anything? Real question.

Back