where does Wonderboys karate compare to prime Lyoto Machida?

it is what it is

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have little knowledge in the art, but I'm curious how their levels & accomplishments in that realm compare.

The main difference is Thompson doesn't have a glass chin like Lyoto.

I think their styles are very different. Machida focuses on counter striking and has better defense imo. Wonderboy is way more aggressive and has more kicking variety.
Both have very good technique imo.

Thompson is overall a better striker but I think prime Lyoto may have been harder to hit. Both are very effective in different ways

Last edited:
machida uses more of a traditional shotokan style implementing the zenkutsu dachi (front stance) good midrange getting in and out while also being able to regulate takedowns and hip disruption very well. wonderboy uses a side stance( we called it a bow stance in american kenpo.) which is used a lot in point karate and taekwondo. it allows you to cover distance quicker, and spring qucikly but leaves you open to takedowns(which from training with weidman, wonderboy seems to have remedied this downside)

Been touched on already in the first few replies. Machida used his techniques for defense more than offense, Thompson is the other side of this coin. But they both have very solid technique and it's entertaining to watch.

They come from very different areas of the karate universe.

Machida studied traditional Shotokan and competed in Shotokan tournaments before coming into MMA. His style relies on evasion with his primary weapon being a straight punch counter. He doesn't kick much, and when he does it's very traditional, fundamental sort of kicks like the front kick and roundhouse.

Thompson on the other hand, while technically coming from Kenpo (which is really an American hybrid martial art, not true Japanese or Okinawan karate), is a product of the American sport karate world. You can think of what he does as a freestyle version of karate, which is really more like karate and taekwondo combined together and modified for a certain rule set. Like Machida, he comes from a get-hit-and-you-lose competitive framework so he's very elusive, and he also relies mostly on straight punches. But his primary weapons are his kicks, which are completely different from what Machida does.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no "better" answer. Both their styles adapted to suit their purposes. Machida defense and counterattacks. Wonderboy for aggression and kicks.

If I had to make a choice thought I'd say Machida's karate is closer to the roots of Okinawan karate.

Last edited:
This post has rustled me far more than I'd like to admit. Does everyone who's been KO'd by another elite fighter also have a glass chin, or do you just like to use stupid phrases because of your basic understanding?

This post has rustled me far more than I'd like to admit.
He doesn't even have a glass chin. I remember he ate a hard right hand from shogun in the third frame of their first fight. Romero hit him with some bombs standing and he was ok.

Machida managed to beat Rashad, Tito, Thiago Silva, Couture, Hendo, Bader, Munoz, Mousasi, Franklin and CB Dolloway having this "glass chin". 7 out of those 10 I mentioned Lyoto managed to knockout.

He doesn't even have a glass chin. I remember he ate a hard right hand from shogun in the third frame of their first fight. Romero hit him with some bombs standing and he was ok.
Man, every idiot wants to throw around the "glass chin" phrase as often as they can while having no idea what they're talking about.

This post has rustled me far more than I'd like to admit. Does everyone who's been KO'd by another elite fighter also have a glass chin, or do you just like to use stupid phrases because of your basic understanding?
Lyoto doesn't react well to getting hit, there's a reason he avoids getting hit at all costs, his chin can't handle the punishment.

Man, every idiot wants to throw around the "glass chin" phrase as often as they can while having no idea what they're talking about.
People love to diss on Machida now because he's lost two fights to elite competition at middleweight. I hope his new strength and conditioning guy can revitalize his career

Lyoto doesn't react well to getting hit, there's a reason he avoids getting hit at all costs, his chin can't handle the punishment.
No, he avoids getting hit because that's what any intelligent fighter should be trying to do while fighting another elite fighter. You would prefer him to "Stand & Bang" and take needless damage for your entertainment but you are completely clueless if you think a fighter only avoids getting hit because they can't handle a shot, I seriously cannot believe what i'm reading here but I suspect you're just looking for a reaction.

Die hard machida fan but I'm more impressed with Thomson's technique then Lyoto's simply because his attack is way more diverse... Lyoto is deadly because his straight Left, knee to body and roundhouse kicks all come from the same stance, chambered and ready to fire. He walks you into his range and for the most part that's what he throws. I think Thompson is much better at coming forward then Lyoto. If somebody doesn't engage Thompson he is better suited to score then Lyoto.
Both excellent styles to watch

People love to diss on Machida now because he's lost two fights to elite competition at middleweight. I hope his new strength and conditioning guy can revitalize his career
That's true. Lyoto is my favorite fighter of all time, but i'm not expecting any late career resurgence or revitalization or a title run. You can't stay great in this game forever when amazing young fighters are always on the rise, I'm lucky to have watched and learned from him during his best years but I do hope he can get a few wins and go out on a high.

Thompson would lose most matches against Shoto Cup style tournies ( in finalist categories). They (and Machida) would sweep the living daylights out of him. The problem with Hendricks is that he has (apparently) absolutely no straight karate skills necessary to manage the sht that Thompson was getting away with on him. I use the phrase "get away with" because I am nearly 100% convinced that high level traditional Karate practitioners could look at the Thompson-Hendricks fight and identify numerous things that Thompson would simply not have been able to get away with against high ranking traditional Karate practitioners.

Don't get me wrong, I am front row right now on the Wonderboy hype train but I think Machida schools him 9 of 10 in Shoto Cup rules fighting. The reason why I say Shoto Cup is because they don't let you get away with the atrocious point sparring girly-tap nonsense you find in so much of American open tourny Bullshito.

I think their styles are very different. Machida focuses on counter striking and has better defense imo. Wonderboy is way more aggressive and has more kicking variety.
Both have very good technique imo.

Been touched on already in the first few replies. Machida used his techniques for defense more than offense, Thompson is the other side of this coin. But they both have very solid technique and it's entertaining to watch.

Can't be said better than this.

Wonder boy uses an American style of Karate used in both point and full contact. Kicks must be above the waist in the US style so they use the side kick to the hip and the front snap kick like a jab. The hands are similar to boxing. WB, Holly, Cruikshank, and Cung Le all use American Style Karate. Machida uses a more Japanese style with one punch or kick ending the fight and more punch to trip combinations.

Back