Where does the myth of the heavyweight division becoming worst comes from?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why the pride heavyweight division is belived to be so great by sherdogers in general? They had fedor, big nog, cro cop ( who couldnt defend a takedown to save his life in the beggining ) and thats it, somehow sherdogers say that was the prime of the division. Another argument is made for cain's era and again i just dont see it, cain defeated brock fucking lesnar to win the title, a guy that had to beat a 50years old man three times smaller than him to win the belt lol.

The heavyweight division of today sucks pretty bad, but still is better than every other period of its history

If by better you mean worse, then yeah you’re right.

z-level soccer clubs in the states are better than HW MMA ... thats how bad HW MMA is.

I don't believe Pride HWs were the best of all time but they had great packaging and promotion. It made the guys seem larger than life. Technically the majority of Pride guys weren't that good. In that era, people used to jerk off to fighters throwing a headkick or lowkick. A lot of stuff is standard now.

Why the pride heavyweight division is belived to be so great by sherdogers in general? They had fedor, big nog, cro cop ( who couldnt defend a takedown to save his life in the beggining ) and thats it, somehow sherdogers say that was the prime of the division. Another argument is made for cain's era and again i just dont see it, cain defeated brock fucking lesnar to win the title, a guy that had to beat a 50years old man three times smaller than him to win the belt lol.

The heavyweight division of today sucks pretty bad, but still is better than every other period of its history
It's the "when I was young things were better" mantra you always hear from old farts who long for yesteryears.

It comes from the old grumpy fans whio don't like that they don't see the names they are used to.
They are 20 years in the past.
"Where is Fedor? Where is Don Frye? Wher eis Kimbo Slice? Have you heard of htis new guy, Andrei Arlovski? He's a very talented young prospect!"

Try watching some HW fights.
They're all terrible.
It's not getting worse though HW has always been appalling. They have the lowest skill levels and worst conditioning of all the weight classes but people like to watch them because they have power and knock each other out.

I don't believe Pride HWs were the best of all time but they had great packaging and promotion. It made the guys seem larger than life. Technically the majority of Pride guys weren't that good. In that era, people used to jerk off to fighters throwing a headkick or lowkick. A lot of stuff is standard now.

Who's throwing headkicks in the top 10 right now? Everyone just boxes and brawls.

In the Pride era the striking of Sergei, Schilt, Crocop, Aleks and early Fedor was light years ahead of UFC.

Later on Fedor and Sergei just became brawling headhunters.

Once Werdum got his Muay Thai half decent as a more complete striker he was picking apart guys like Cain.

I dunno if I’d say PRIDE had the best HW division ever, but definitely better than the UFC’s at the time. As far as it getting worse, I think it’s just kind of stagnant. People have been calling on Arlovski to retire since 2010, and just a couple of years ago he was one fight away from a title shot. Overeem hasn’t been a killer since 2012, but still hangs near the top of the division (generally). JDS is somewhat in the mix but has clearly been on a long decline. Just seems stagnant.

Talent wise, the hw division is always the worst in any combat sport. Big guys don't have to be that technically skilled to win a fight, they just need to land. Hw is as good as it's ever been right now.

You have standouts in every era, but for the most part, the rest of the talent pool is on equal footing. The standouts from one era would give the standouts from another era a fight. The winner is up in the air and we can only guess, but there would be some competitive fights in there regardless.

They always

talk about it this way because they are less skilled. Still everyone wants to watch the big guys. I think you are probably right.

HWs now have more skills than in the past Pride era.
But compared to all other divisions - HW has always been the weakest

The Pride HW division was the pinnacle of MMA. The UFC HW division is at its lowest point in history.

Pride had the best hw era just as those years were the golden aera of mma imo

HW division at any time and point has been the weakest division out there. There is not enough big athletic guys around who like to get punched in the face. Just think how many guys that size you know who are actually fit and talented and then think how many regular size guys like that you know.

Back