Where Does Cormier Rank among Jones's Opponents?

That's a tough ?. Accomplishment wise he would def be below all of the former champions Jones has fought. But style wise Jones would have never faced anyone who's as a bad matchup for him as DC would be. Without any doubt Jones would be on his back and sooner than later. DC's wrestling is just too good for anyone at HW or 205 . What would happen when they're on the ground though is the interesting part. This fight has to happen if Cormier can cut the weight. He is by far the biggest threat to JJ IMO

Thanks for the thoughtful responses so far, peeps. They pretty much confirm what I feel about the fight - people are clamoring for the DC fight because it's an amazing style matchup and he appears to be biggest threat, but nobody is certain what a win over him actually does for Jones when we look at the scope of his career.

I find it really interesting that the guy who most people want to challenge the champion next is still such a mystery/unproven commodity.

I think you have to go back to Brock Lesnar/Randy Couture and GSP/Hughes I for title fights with that dynamic. Cormier is more battle tested than either of those guys were, but when you factor in the experience/weight questions, what you have is an extremely exciting challenger that we'll have to evaluate years after the fight to form a proper judgment on. And that gets a lot trickier if DC moves permanently back to HW after the fight.

At the same time, DC's talent and gifts are so obvious and dynamic that I can't help but think that beating him would be on par or even beyond anything else Jones has done. It's tough. I might just be too used to living in a culture where we have to dissect everything right as and after it's happening.

Or Cormier could KO Jones in a minute and none of this will matter. That's MMA.

dont know since he hasn't fought at 205 yet. still not sold on comier striking or top control. want to see the fight but from what ive seen so far he would be top five below rashad, page, machida, and maybe shogun. (not in that order)

So tough to put him ahead of Machida, Evans, and Shogun, but at the same time I'm not sure I'd put them ahead of Cormier either. I think Cormier would take Evans and Shogun. A fight with Machida would be extremely interesting.

I think the reason this fight interests so many people is because Jones has already beaten all the top contenders at 205 minus Gus, and I think it's safe to assume Jones will have his way with him in the wrestling department. So it isn't that Cormier is necessarily a tougher test than say Machida, but it's something we at least haven't seen. We really don't know what the win does for Jones' resume until we see Cormier fight other guys at 205.

it would be a good indication of wether jones should think about moving up to HW.

im sure cormier is used to getting hit by stronger guys than jones.
and jones prolly hasnt fought anyone that would be as strong as cormier.

Nowhere. Jones has only faced the gods of MMA, DOMINATING legends such as Machida, Evans, Matyushenko, and Ryan... wait for it... BADER

Back