Where Does Cormier Rank among Jones's Opponents?

Ace1988

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let's say DC dispatches Mir and Jones chokes out Chael with both guys coming out uninjured. DC is able to diet down to 215 and cut the remaining 10 pounds safely, leading to a LHW title fight with DC and Jones.

We know that a victory over Jones would catapult DC to instant superstardom and be the biggest victory of his young career.

But what would beating Cormier mean for Jones's legacy/accomplishments? Where would you rank the significance of that win amongst Shogun, Machida, Evans, Rampage, etc.?

I ask because DC is such a question mark at the weight and has had so few fights in his MMA career despite already winning a very tough HW Grand Prix.

Curious to see what you think and why.

Less significant than Rua, Rampage, Machida, Rashad and Vitor.

More significant than Bader, Sonnen, Vladdy etc.

Shogun
Rashad
Machida
Rampage
Vitor
Cormier
Sonnen
Bader
etc etc

id say its his biggest win other than machida, and MAYBE rashad. cormier is the only guy thus far that i think jones would be really worried about the TD. youd see fewer kicks, id bet. and cormier has big power. used to being hit by big guys.

rampage and shogun are fan favorites, and i love them, but their best days have been long behind them. it showed in their fights with jones. not to mention shogun was coming off his 3rd ACL tear. people scoff at that "excuse," but having had ACL tears myself, that shit matters.

Would be the best fighter he has fought so far imo.

At the time of the win, it'd be among his top 5 best wins. Cormier is a top ranked fighter in the division above him and is looked at as the best wrestler in MMA and would be undefeated coming into the fight.

Would be the best fighter he has fought so far imo.

???

Would be Machida.

Cormier is an unknown in terms of rank which is the problem and does not have the longevity of the other fighters that Jones has fought.

His skill is not in question but his resume is and that is the case. Cormier could be the easiest fight of Jones career as it could be his toughest, no one really knows.

???

Would be Machida.

Cormier is an unknown in terms of rank which is the problem and does not have the longevity of the other fighters that Jones has fought.

His skill is not in question but his rank is and that is the case, Cormier could be the easiest fight of Jones career as it could be his toughest, no one really knows.

huh?

cormier is the new big name in the sport, especially if he comes in and KO's mir, which id say hes fairly sure to do.

he also presents some unique problems for jones imo. cormier is used to closing the distance on people and dropping them with big power. he can get inside and stay there with his wrestling. no one can stop his shots.

with that said, i think its very possible that jones dances away from him to a decision win.

a couple of the wins jones has were big wins in terms of popularity, but not so much in terms of the opposition's skill level imo. 205 is full of inconsistent fan favorites....not necessarily ultra skilled fighters. shogun, rampage, and bader were not the quality of wins that people think they were.

It would be a significant win, but one with a question mark due to Cormier's lack of fights at 205. Cormier's career, though short, has already proven to be very legit. Beating Bigfoot was a very big win at the time and then beating the piss out of Barnett made him top 5.

Its very hard to say, because DC cant be compared to other LHWs, to me i would say its just another win like Vitor, i dont know why, unless DC proves himself at LHW then we could get a better perspective on him

???

Would be Machida.

His skill is not in question but his resume is and that is the case. Cormier could be the easiest fight of Jones career as it could be his toughest, no one really knows.
Thats why TS asked for peoples opinions. Nobody really knows

I also think it would be Jones toughest fight yet

In terms of threat, he is at the top. Up there with Machida.

But in terms of careers and how much it would mean for Jones, he isn't in the top 3. Shogun, Machida, Rashad were all bigger wins for him. Not too many casuals know who DC is.

LHW has had the least amount of new talent in all the divisions combined.

In the last 3 years, LHW has who?

Jones, Bader, Gus, Davis?

Even HW makes the divisions look shameful.

Depends alot on what happens to Cormier after

huh?

cormier is the new big name in the sport, especially if he comes in and KO's mir, which id say hes fairly sure to do.

he also presents some unique problems for jones imo. cormier is used to closing the distance on people and dropping them with big power. he can get inside and stay there with his wrestling. no one can stop his shots.

with that said, i think its very possible that jones dances away from him to a decision win.

Thats the problem, Cormier is the new big name and looks good but his resume and rank are unknown outside of strikeforce.

No, jones doesn't need to dance to beat Cormier, Cormier is good he hasnt shown how good he really is and he will be going against a more dynamic, athletic, faster and more well rounded fighter in jones then Cormier is, along with a faster division from the slow HW divison he is acclimated too.

He will also be the same weight as the other LHW's which would/could take away his possible strength advantage and he will have to get acclimate to the speed of the LHW division which he is not.

Again all that Mir speech is nice but resume is resume and Cormier does not have one. Cormier could be Jones easiest fight to date or be his toughest since no one really knows.

Mir is also not a ruler for judging how good fighters are and if they could beat active champions.

Last edited:
His biggest win by far. Machida and Rashad are his next best, a washed up rampage and a now 5-5 shogun aren't that great of wins.

Glover, Manuwa, Jimmo, Te Huna

His biggest win by far. Machida and Rashad are his next best, a washed up rampage and a now 5-5 shogun aren't that great of wins.

Lol Rampage was motivated and in shape for Jones.

Shogun is 5-5 against

Forrest x2
Coleman
Chuck
Lyoto x2
Jones
Hendo
Gus
Vera...

Not exactly cans he was fighting.

Stop trolling, nothing could make HW look less shameful

Last edited:
Back