Where can I get cheap ZMA?

Madmick said:
ZMA from 1Fast400/BulkNutrition is $16 (and they test all their stuff out...they even got in trouble for testing out the protein powders of ProteinFactory, and publishing them):
Bulk Nutrition ZMA- $16 for 180 Tabs

Or you can buy the Zinc and Magnesium at their site separately from NOW Foods (although Chad once said NOW has a poor reputation, but he never followed up on that post).

They have Zinc Glutonate ($3, 100 tabs, 50mg) and Zinc Picolinate ($7, 120 Tabs, 50mg), but I don't know if these are absorbable by the body. They also sell Opti L-Zinc, which is chelated, and Sudo said was the most absorpable of all ($7, 100 Tabs, 30mg).

They have the Magnesium chelated with the Calcium, too. There's 500mg Magnesium in each tab. Here's both:

NOW Opti L-Zinc, $7, 100 Tabs, 30mg (via Bulk Nutrition)
NOW Calcium & Magnesium, $4, 100 Tabs, 500mg (via Bulk Nutrition)

That's $11 and will last you 100 days, compared to the Bulk ZMA that is $16 and will last you 60.

I figure that's your best bet, Urban, if you haven't already gotten her the gear.

hmm.. i followed ur magnesium link.. and i noticed in the supplement facts it says the serving size is 2 tablets a day making it last 50 days instead of 100 and it's 80% oxide and only 10% chelated.. lol

the zinc link looks good.. here's what i'm gonna buy after my zma runs out.. it's like .5 to 1 cent cheaper per pill than the NOW brand.. :wink:
http://www.vitacost.com/NSILOptizinc/searchby-PN/searchtext-optizinc
or
http://www.vitacost.com/SourceNaturalsOptiZinc/searchby-PN/searchtext-optizinc

and yeh b-vitamins are necessary.. b12 (found naturally only in animal products) is for proper brain development and function (retarded children have mothers with b12 deficiencies--usually hardcore vegans who don't supplement) and b3 (niacin) and b6 are for converting EFAs into usable forms.. so basically, a deficiency in b-vitamins will result in an EFA deficiency...

I have never had ZMA, per se, help me sleep. I bought the GNC brand and it did help me sleep. I took the whole bottle and then bought some vitamin world or some other brand and it did nothing. I then compared the bottles and realized GNC's brand has valarian root which is an herb that helps induce sleep.

Now, I have tried a few things to help me fall asleep faster, and I am always interested in more. I want to stay away from the omnisom, tylenol PM and nightquil stuff because I don't think they are as healthy.

I have been very happy with Valarian root, either capsule or tea. I prefer the tea because drinking a hot beverage seems to also induce relaxation in it of itself. Be weary, the taste/smell is as pungent as it can get, so it'll take some getting used to. Melatonin is another one I like, 2-5 mg pills. I have heard it is near impossible to overdose on valarian (a college girl tried once only to realize it doesn't work) and elderly have taken 10-20 mg a day of melatonin to help with glaucoma a day for years and have had no bad side effects.

I have not been happy with kava kava or chamomile. If she has high anxiety kava kava might help but I can't stand the taste, nor the numbing of the tongue. If she isn't a big drinker the hepatotoxicity shouldn't be a problem with a glass or two a few times a week.

Lastly, if anybody has some info as why zinc and magnesium will help you sleep I'm interested as I have never read up on the subject. The "calcium contracts muscle/magnesium relaxes it" comment doesn't seem to be quite correct. Taking calcium orally will not make your muscles contract more often, and therefore I don't see how taking magnesium would help relax them. Contraction/relaxation is controlled by things upstream of calcium release.

Rjkd12 said:
Lastly, if anybody has some info as why zinc and magnesium will help you sleep I'm interested as I have never read up on the subject. The "calcium contracts muscle/magnesium relaxes it" comment doesn't seem to be quite correct. Taking calcium orally will not make your muscles contract more often, and therefore I don't see how taking magnesium would help relax them. Contraction/relaxation is controlled by things upstream of calcium release.

of course taking calcium orally will not make your muscles contract more often.. calcium is simply used for contracting them.. it doesn't make ur muscles involuntarily contract by itself.. however, a deficiency in magnesium will leave u chronically tense, and a deficiency in calcium will leave u chronically lethargic... make sense?

cantalope is a good source of magnesium and potassium.. that's why many have suggested eating it b4 bed..

http://www.bowtechforhealth.com/min/magnesium.htm

supersudo said:
however, a deficiency in magnesium will leave u chronically tense, and a deficiency in calcium will leave u chronically lethargic... make sense?

I totally understand your logic, and it does seem to make sense. I just don't know if I belive it, expecially with the calcium comment. I'll look into it more later but if anybody else knows I'd appreciate a comment.

Two things, first is, is it possible to not consume enough calcium to become lethargic on an average/below average diet? Calcium is in a lot of things and the body has a pretty good control system for the amount of calcium in the blood stream. I believe there is room for quite a bit of error since a normal person has quite a bit of bone mass.

Second is, even with a really horrible diet would the body become lethargic because of lack of calcium? I think there is plenty in your bones to overcome not being able to contract for a very long time, but this second question is more for amusement and inquiring minds since it isn't really relevant to anyone.

Then comes magneisum. Same two questions, with the execption of magnesium reserves. I am unaware how the body takes care of this.

Yeah, Supersudo, I don't know where you're getting that info, but whenever calcium is depleted in the bloodstream, it borrows it from bone reservoirs- thus, calcium deficiencies (if left unabated) result in osteoporosis and other bone disorders.

"Chronic Fatigue" is a favorite of the supplement slingers to tack onto any supplement; it's like reporting to the school nurse that you have "clammy hands." Everyone feels lethargic at some point in time, and it's nearly impossible to pin down its cause, since there are so many factors involved.

supersudo said:
hmm.. i followed ur magnesium link.. and i noticed in the supplement facts it says the serving size is 2 tablets a day making it last 50 days instead of 100 and it's 80% oxide and only 10% chelated.. lol

the zinc link looks good.. here's what i'm gonna buy after my zma runs out.. it's like .5 to 1 cent cheaper per pill than the NOW brand.. :wink:
http://www.vitacost.com/NSILOptizinc/searchby-PN/searchtext-optizinc
or
http://www.vitacost.com/SourceNaturalsOptiZinc/searchby-PN/searchtext-optizinc

and yeh b-vitamins are necessary.. b12 (found naturally only in animal products) is for proper brain development and function (retarded children have mothers with b12 deficiencies--usually hardcore vegans who don't supplement) and b3 (niacin) and b6 are for converting EFAs into usable forms.. so basically, a deficiency in b-vitamins will result in an EFA deficiency...

Yeah, but buying from two different stores kills you on the shipping.

In that case, I guess it would be best to go with the citrate powder from NOW:
http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=541

The powder is cheaper in the first place, I just hate all the scooping I have to do.

Madmick said:
Yeah, Supersudo, I don't know where you're getting that info, but whenever calcium is depleted in the bloodstream, it borrows it from bone reservoirs- thus, calcium deficiencies (if left unabated) result in osteoporosis and other bone disorders.

"Chronic Fatigue" is a favorite of the supplement slingers to tack onto any supplement; it's like reporting to the school nurse that you have "clammy hands." Everyone feels lethargic at some point in time, and it's nearly impossible to pin down its cause, since there are so many factors involved.

yeh, i see your point.. but technically.. if you had osteoporosis, and bone disorders, wouldn't u be chronically fatigued also? lol.. :wink:

the general consensus says ZMA promotes more restful sleep.. i've also heard from many relatives to eat cantalope b4 bed to help u sleep.. i've read magnesium relaxes you and magnesium is nutrient found in both of these sources.. so i put 2 and 2 together.. and there's my logic...

read this magnesium profile: http://www.bowtechforhealth.com/min/magnesium.htm
"has a calming effect on neuromuscular irritability." :icon_chee

I think all the connections between ZMA and sleep are folkloric.

I have read that Zinc-Magnesium stacks may increase "energy expenditure" if an athlete becomes deficient. I can see how this could easily become "reduces fatigue," but the two are not the same.

Back