Where can I get cheap ZMA?

Urban

Savage Mystic
@Gold
Reaction score
ok, so ZMA is too short a term for me to put into the search function or I probably wouldn't have to make this thread. Here's the deal, my GF doesn't sleep so well (she sleeps through the night, but she's always tired) so I said to myself "Self, your droogies on sherdog have been talking about ZMA for better sleep, why not try that? It's not a sleep aid and is non-habbit forming, she'll give you head for hours for helping her out!" So how about it? is this a good Idea, and where's the most economic place to buy the stuff online? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Urban said:
ok, so ZMA is too short a term for me to put into the search function or I probably wouldn't have to make this thread. Here's the deal, my GF doesn't sleep so well (she sleeps through the night, but she's always tired) so I said to myself "Self, your droogies on sherdog have been talking about ZMA for better sleep, why not try that? It's not a sleep aid and is non-habbit forming, she'll give you head for hours for helping her out!" So how about it? is this a good Idea, and where's the most economic place to buy the stuff online? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is ZMA similiar to Gaba?

johnnynoname said:
bodybuilding.com or prosource.net

Bodybuilding.com? Holy God, no, white belt.

Urban, I'm assuming you've checked DPS & 1Fast400 already. I don't know of any store that carries a special on ZMA beating their prices.

Boon custom makes his ZMA, you might want to PM him about how he does it if he doesn't respond right away (I'm not sure if it's more complex than just buying Zinc and Magnesium separately).

Its not hard. Look up the ingredients of the ZMA you are getting ready to pay 17 dollars for...buy them seperately for a total of 10 dollars...then get the same thing while realizing ZMA is a rip-off. If she is going to use it for sleep, then she might not need the Vit B.

ZMA is probably helping sleep because of it's magnesium.... it's usually $20 a pop though.. and it's SOOO much cheaper just to get magnesium by itself.. (sometimes as low as $3 a bottle) at costco it has "nature made magnesium - 300 tablets" for $5.. u can save a few bucks by buying everything in ZMA separately.. the Zinc which is also really cheap and vitamin b6..

magnesium relaxes ur muscles while calcium contracts ur muscles... it's also a macro-nutrient so u have to take INSANE amounts for it to be toxic... the relaxing effect is probably what's helpful for sleep.. :wink:

hey boon.. wut brands do u use for magnesium and zinc?

magnesium oxide, sulphate, citrate, carbonate, bicarbonate, chloride are ALL UN-USABLE by the body..

while the chelated magnesiums.. alpha-ketogluconate, aspartate (in ZMA), glycinate, orotate, lysinate, taurate are...

i say it's pretty hard to find some absorbable magnesium.. everyone seems to be using magn oxide..

do you need the same proportions as ZMA, or will any size tab do?

supersudo said:
i say it's pretty hard to find some absorbable magnesium.. everyone seems to be using magn oxide..

Are you saying they use Magnesium Oxide in ZMA or just when they package Magnesium independently? Cause if what you're saying is true, I might need to check the ZMA I got to make sure I'm not getting the useless kind.

Madmick said:
Are you saying they use Magnesium Oxide in ZMA or just when they package Magnesium independently? Cause if what you're saying is true, I might need to check the ZMA I got to make sure I'm not getting the useless kind.

i mean when they package em separately.. i wasted like.. $5 on this magnesium i bought at costco the other day.. it's all magn oxide..

so far, all the ZMA formulas i've seen use magnesium aspartate and zinc monomethionine (opti-zinc)... both easily absorbable kinds of both minerals.. (opti-zinc is actually the most absorbable kind of zinc) so u can't go wrong with ZMA.. the only gripe i got is that u need to take 3 pills a day.. meaning a 180 pack for $20 will only last 2 months.. :(

Ian1983 said:
do you need the same proportions as ZMA, or will any size tab do?

well.. magnesium is a macro-nutrient.. meaning u need A LOT of it.. so it'll be pretty hard to overdose, if it is indeed overdoseable.. which i personally don't think it is... just keep the dosage within reason.. 800mg a day isn't too much if that's what u're asking..

zinc, u CAN overdose in.. so be sure to NOT take more than 100mg a day.. and the b6, b-vitamins are water soluble so u'll piss out any excess...

anybody know a good brand of magnesium? country life's chelated magnesium and nsi's magnesium ultra are the only brands i've found online so far that look okay to me.. anyone find any other possibly better ones?

http://www.vitacost.com/CountryLifeMagnesium/searchby-PN/searchtext-country life magnesium
http://www.country-life.com/moreinfo.cfm?Category=7&Product_ID=97

http://www.vitacost.com/NSIMagnesiumUltra/searchby-PN/searchtext-magnesium

Warn your g/f that it might make her have breakouts. I've noticed a lot of people complain about that. Its the only reason I haven't started taking it since my skin isn't the best as it is.

Madmick said:
Bodybuilding.com? Holy God, no, white belt.

Good typical sherdogger response... "whitebelt".

Bodybuilding.com has probably the absolute best online store for sports supplements anywhere. I recently ordered 150$ worth of stuff from them, got here in good time, got a free shaker bottle, and everything was in good condition.

Whatever your beef with bodybuilders/bodybuilding is, it has nothing to do with the quality of bodybuilding.com's online store. I dare you to find me one with a wider selection and cheaper prices. Honestly, I have yet to see a site with a wider variety of products, or cheaper prices. It's an amazing site for supplement purchases or information.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/zma.html

Scroll down about half way down the page, and you'll get a list of the ZMA products they carry.

Bodybuilding.com is a good store. But 1fast400.com and bulknutrition.com are a lot cheaper on quite a few items. I usually check both before I order.

creepingcharlie said:
Warn your g/f that it might make her have breakouts. I've noticed a lot of people complain about that. Its the only reason I haven't started taking it since my skin isn't the best as it is.

who told u this? zinc is needed to maintain healthy amounts of vit A and E in ur blood (which is needed for healthy skin) and magnesium and b6 indirectly helps ur skin repair and renew..

if anything it should be really good for ur skin (just make sure u get healthy amounts of omega-3 and vitamins A and E and u're set!) :wink:

Plum said:
Good typical sherdogger response... "whitebelt".

Bodybuilding.com has probably the absolute best online store for sports supplements anywhere. I recently ordered 150$ worth of stuff from them, got here in good time, got a free shaker bottle, and everything was in good condition.

Whatever your beef with bodybuilders/bodybuilding is, it has nothing to do with the quality of bodybuilding.com's online store. I dare you to find me one with a wider selection and cheaper prices. Honestly, I have yet to see a site with a wider variety of products, or cheaper prices. It's an amazing site for supplement purchases or information.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/zma.html

Scroll down about half way down the page, and you'll get a list of the ZMA products they carry.

hmm... there optimum nutrition ZMA is $22 while at vitacost it's $20..

check it out:
http://www.vitacost.com/OptimumNutritionZMA/searchby-PN/searchtext-optimum nutrition zma

http://www.vitacost.com/NSIZMAUltra/searchby-PN/searchtext-optimum nutrition zma

vitacost seems to be a pretty good online store for generally everything.. so it's not as specialized as bodybuilding.com

Good stuff, especially Bulknutrition... I like the site, but I find they don't have the selection bb'ing.com does.

ZMA from 1Fast400/BulkNutrition is $16 (and they test all their stuff out...they even got in trouble for testing out the protein powders of ProteinFactory, and publishing them):
Bulk Nutrition ZMA- $16 for 180 Tabs

Or you can buy the Zinc and Magnesium at their site separately from NOW Foods (although Chad once said NOW has a poor reputation, but he never followed up on that post).

They have Zinc Glutonate ($3, 100 tabs, 50mg) and Zinc Picolinate ($7, 120 Tabs, 50mg), but I don't know if these are absorbable by the body. They also sell Opti L-Zinc, which is chelated, and Sudo said was the most absorpable of all ($7, 100 Tabs, 30mg).

They have the Magnesium chelated with the Calcium, too. There's 500mg Magnesium in each tab. Here's both:

NOW Opti L-Zinc, $7, 100 Tabs, 30mg (via Bulk Nutrition)
NOW Calcium & Magnesium, $4, 100 Tabs, 500mg (via Bulk Nutrition)

That's $11 and will last you 100 days, compared to the Bulk ZMA that is $16 and will last you 60.

I figure that's your best bet, Urban, if you haven't already gotten her the gear.

madmick, if urban doesn't can I thank you now for doing all that leg work.

I bought some ZMA at a local place here in the uk, 30 days supply was about 35 quid, which is something like $60, FOR 1 MONTH. I was never going to get them again after that because they're too damn expensive, but BN, here I come (about the 4th time now).

Edit-are the b vitamins necessary?

Ian1983 said:
madmick, if urban doesn't can I thank you now for doing all that leg work.

I bought some ZMA at a local place here in the uk, 30 days supply was about 35 quid, which is something like $60, FOR 1 MONTH. I was never going to get them again after that because they're too damn expensive, but BN, here I come (about the 4th time now).

Edit-are the b vitamins necessary?

Sure you can. Thanks for that.

As for the B-vitamins, I don't think they're necessary, but one of the (it seems like hundreds of) functions of B-vitamins is that they aid in recovery. If you're not B-Vitamin deficient, there shouldn't be a problem; you're getting B-Vitamins from your Multi-Vitamin anyway.

Back