where are the american ufc champions?

Most fighters come from poor countries/backgrounds.

Given that your average WASP, or white American male has a HS education and comes from a more wealthy family the odds that they will pursue combat sports is lower.

Not to say that there aren’t good white American fighters, but in proportion to the US population their participation is lower in the UFC, which originally went mainstream with a concentration with American talent like Hughes, Liddell, but now is an international league trying to find the best of the best around the world and reel in foreign viewers

They are playing real sports for real money. MMA is where the rejects who couldn't make it in other sports go.

Ah the failsafe NFL and NBA excuse. I remember the days when one of the excuses for Americans not dominating boxing anymore was "we prefer MMA now".

oh wait... they are none

americans used to live it & make plenty of posts but now where are your ufc champions

all getting knocked out
The Champs should all be American in a sport that most countries in the world participate in?

<Huh2>

Well, USA has three belts.

Brazil has three (technically two, but fuck it, Oliveira is the champ).

I think Nigeria has two, since for sure Usman and maybe Israel were born there.

And no other country has more than one. So USA is tied for the lead in UFC belts.

Pathetic fail of a thread.

Is this the "if I take my wedding band off I'm not married so it doesn't count" model of citizenship?

In the US you are a citizen until you forfeit your citizenship. It doesn't matter what flag you wave.
I'm not saying he's not American, but rather not much of an American champion. Same with Belal, runs a paki flag, but Felder was offended at USA changes during one of his fights. People are silly, they should be proud to be American and represent America. Marketing is better to be from less popular countries I guess

There has only ever been one American fighter in UFC though which was Andre the chief Roberts, there hasn't been anyother fighters in UFC that are American. We are just a melting pot from all over the globe.

What makes him more American than others who were born here? His ancestors came across from Asia, so he's part of your "melting pot" too.

Go back in ancestry far enough and all UFC competitors are African, period. So there are only African UFC fighters and that's the way it will always be, until we have an Interstellar cross-promotion.

the american champions the ufc has now are ashamed of being called american, so they rep the flag of some countries they dont live cause its hip

good thing this would never fly in my beloved brasil

oh wait... they are none

americans used to live it & make plenty of posts but now where are your ufc champions

all getting knocked out
What a stupid topic this is. There's no British champion either. There's no Latvian champ now either. There's no Canadian champion either. There's no Chinese champ, there's no Mexican champ. The list goes on, and by the way Aljamain Sterling was born in NY USA. He is the BW champion.

I'm an American and I truly couldn't give a shit. It is awesome to watch other countries get invested in MMA. My favorite fighters of this era (2 being American):
Jiri, Valentina, Moose, Izzy, Gaethje, Stipe, Burns, that ozzy kid that put away that sociopath looking dude recently (you know the one). Let's also not forget that Marty Usman is more or less American, if we can be real for a moment. He didn't grow up wrestling in Nigeria.

oh wait... they are none

all getting knocked out

We currently have 4/12, so not exactly shite. And let us not forget that we also had a few American champs (Bones/MM/Cejudo) that simply moved on in part due to the tedium of extended dominance. But overall I consider the diversity of champions a healthy thing for the sport.

I dreamed of a day MMA would have champions from all over and martial artists across the world would compete. This is a good thing.
This. Besides, we have Esparza, Pena, and Aljamain. Kamaru isn't American by birth, but he's a US citizen. Same with Nunes.

This. Besides, we have Esparza, Pena, and Aljamain. Kamaru isn't American by birth, but he's a US citizen. Same with Nunes.

Forgot about Esparza thanks.

Back