When will Brazil produce more male UFC champs?

Brazil had majority of the belts during the ped era.

Aldo says himself Brazil sees ped usage as very normal and accessible.

Usada era hasn't been good to Brazil

I generally don't agree when people say the US has fallen of, just that the competition has gotten better. But with Brazil it does seem like the fall-off is real. They used to be neck and neck with USA but the gap is getting wider and wider. I could see Russia eventually taking their #2 spot.
Brazil has produced better talent than USA...

MMA was only popular for a very brief moment, when Globo (dominant in brazilian media) entered the scene and Anderson and Aldo had the belt simultaneously (2012ish). People didnt care before and they didn't care after both lost their belts. It's not a mainstream sport.
I mean true it was bigger back them but its still probably only smaller than soccer so its still mainstream as fuk when you think about it

André Muniz is the only up and comer I see that might have title potential right now, but there are plenty of contenders and always new prospects popping up.

I don't keep up with international politics as much as I should, but weren't they hit especially hard by COVID? I would imagine that's done a number on their gyms, along with their athletes ability to travel.
Back to normal again, im pretty sure almost everyone over 20 is vacinated already

Reactions: G10
It’s all over for Brazil. Russia is now the prime country for MMA

He is an American Citizen. He has lived in the US since he was 8 years old

Nah, Nigeria deserves him and he deserves Nigeria. Stop trying to claim others, he's made it very clear with who he represents.

Viva Nigeria.

13140300_116928814kamarugetty1255677692_jpegc428d91d1ff597e74aa6c95f4c544bec.jpg
Usman.jpg

I mean true it was bigger back them but its still probably only smaller than soccer so its still mainstream as fuk when you think about it

Not true. I'm brazilian. MMA was not a mainstream sport. Outside of a very small community no one knew who Wanderlei Silva or Big Nog were when they were in their prime. Volleyball, tennis, Formula 1, gymnastics, skateboard, etc, etc, and obviously soccer (football for us) were always far more popular sports. MMA was something obscure, usually associated with thugs, that only a few cared about.

Anderson Silva only became popular in the tail end of his reign when Globo came into the picture, around the time he fought Okami in 2011. From 2011 to 2015 the sport was somewhat mainstream with Anderson and Aldo. Brazilians also having a bad habit of only caring for something as long as we are winning so when Aldo lost his belt the interest in the sport diminished a lot.

Not true. I'm brazilian. MMA was not a mainstream sport. Outside of a very small community no one knew who Wanderlei Silva or Big Nog were when they were in their prime. Volleyball, tennis, Formula 1, gymnastics, skateboard, etc, etc, and obviously soccer (football for us) were always far more popular sports. MMA was something obscure, usually associated with thugs, that only a few cared about.

Anderson Silva only became popular in the tail end of his reign when Globo came into the picture, around the time he fought Okami in 2011. From 2011 to 2015 the sport was somewhat mainstream with Anderson and Aldo. Brazilians also having a bad habit of only caring for something as long as we are winning so when Aldo lost his belt the interest in the sport diminished a lot.

Eu tbm sou po, mas falar que não é um esporte mainstream hoje em dia é furada, só fica atraz do futebol, a maioria das pessoas sabem sobre o esporte ou pelo menos conhecem os lutadores mais famosos. Curling, hockey no gelo etc, esses são esportes não mainstreams mas o mma apesar de não ser tão grande como foi ainda é o segundo esporte mais popular

Eu tbm sou po, mas falar que não é um esporte mainstream hoje em dia é furada, só fica atraz do futebol, a maioria das pessoas sabem sobre o esporte ou pelo menos conhecem os lutadores mais famosos. Curling, hockey no gelo etc, esses são esportes não mainstreams mas o mma apesar de não ser tão grande como foi ainda é o segundo esporte mais popular

Translation for those that don't speak Portuguese:
I'm also a po, but to say that it's not a mainstream sport these days is boring -- it's just behind soccer. Most people know about the sport or at least know the most famous fighters. Curling, ice hockey etc. these are non-mainstream sports, but mma despite not being as big as it was before, is still the second most popular sport.

Fala irmão! não sabia que tu tbm era brasileiro hahaha. Só que eles lá fora tem a percepção errada (talvez criada pelo Joe Rogan no passado) de que o esporte é gigante no nosso país. Que metade dos caras que andam na rua tem uma faixa preta de jiu jitsu. É completamente fora da realidade. E por causa disso acham que a gente tem uma certa obrigação de dominar o esporte, e quando não domina é por incompetência. A verdade é que pouca gente pratica o esporte, em comparação com o tamanho da população.

Sim, hoje em dia pelo menos as pessoas conhecem os lutadores mais famosos, mas tirando aqueles que praticam o esporte e alguns outros mais interessados, a grande maioria não acompanha e nem entende direito. Eu sinceramente não sei as estatísticas pra saber se o mma fica em segundo, mas mesmo que esteja a distância para o futebol é muito, muito grande.

Abraço!

Should we translate that? nah who cares lol

Back