When will Brazil produce more male UFC champs?

Andrei Orlovski

UFC black belt
@Silver
Reaction score
If Glover doesn't win against Jan there doesn't seem to be much hope for Brazil right now. Are there are any hot up and comers who can get the title in the near future?

From my point of view it seems like interest in the sport has dipped considerably over the last decade. I'd guess there's not going to be as much talent coming in for a while

Charles Oliveira is champ. Glover Teixeira and Deiveson Figueiredo will fight for the LHW and FLW belts soon. Vicente Luque is also close to a title shot at WW. They are the best male brazilian fighters I can think of at the moment.

Are we forgetting Charles Oliveira? A Brazilian holds the belt in the UFC'S toughest division. They also produced Figuerudo who might get to hold the belt again if he wins the trilogy. And of course there's Amanda. So I would say Brazil is doing aite.

Paulo Costa was supposed to be the next big thing but he crashed and burned badly.

They're overall still represented well in MMA: 2 champions, 1 on the cusp, and lots of contenders in every division.

Jailton Almeida is going to peruvian necktie the whole LHW division.

But honestly, just give it time. They've picked up some talented guys from Brazil this CS season, and there's some on the come up that look good.
Yes, we have new costa now lol
ciao is legit.
probably not champ. but will provide quality entertainment

There's 7 male recent signings from Brazil just in the last 2 months and there's 60 male brazlian fighters in total currenly in the UFC.

Th reason Brazil and US doesn't dominate anymore is because the talent pool has increased. There's top fighters from central and eastern Europe as well as west Africa.

Also, people are very mistaken when they think MMA has ever being a huge deal in Brazil. MMA was always a marginalized sport with very few people interested in entering (meaning low talent pool).

MMA was only popular for a very brief moment, when Globo (dominant in brazilian media) entered the scene and Anderson and Aldo had the belt simultaneously (2012ish). People didnt care before and they didn't care after both lost their belts. It's not a mainstream sport.

They have Olives. Glover is in a title fight but he is literally ancient. Luque is maybe the next guy to fight for a title? Figgy has a chance to win his back.

They're not as out of the elite as you think.

Charles Oliveira is champ. Glover Teixeira and Deiveson Figueiredo will fight for the LHW and FLW belts soon. Vicente Luque is also close to a title shot at WW. They are the best male brazilian fighters I can think of at the moment.
How about Nunes...probably Brazil's finest at the moment

this is going to be controversial but around the time brazil was doing the best was the same time a lot of fighters were getting supplements way to easy from their Brazilian doctors. way easier than it was to do here in the us and a lot were getting away with it. basically like state sponsored doping in some ways. Not to say everyone was cheating but there were a lot using and also abusing peds and getting them through doctors.

I don't keep up with international politics as much as I should, but weren't they hit especially hard by COVID? I would imagine that's done a number on their gyms, along with their athletes ability to travel.

If Glover doesn't win against Jan there doesn't seem to be much hope for Brazil right now. Are there are any hot up and comers who can get the title in the near future?

In the early 2010s.

this is going to be controversial but around the time brazil was doing the best was the same time a lot of fighters were getting supplements way to easy from their Brazilian doctors. way easier than it was to do here in the us and a lot were getting away with it. basically like state sponsored doping in some ways. Not to say everyone was cheating but there were a lot using and also abusing peds and getting them through doctors.

You are claiming it's easier to dope in Brazil, considering their track record in Olympics, than Americans/Russians/Chinese? Brazilians suck at doping, they have no clue how to cycle stuff, they are years behind US. There was never a stated sponsored program like the Olympic powerhouses had, much less for MMA where poor people compete and have no cash to invest in training or steroids.

You have the gym culture of using underground stuff cooked in kitchens with no quality, but that is not sport enhancing level stuff life Americans have access

I think its just a turning point from generations, the past gen was brilliant and its hard to top that.

I generally don't agree when people say the US has fallen of, just that the competition has gotten better. But with Brazil it does seem like the fall-off is real. They used to be neck and neck with USA but the gap is getting wider and wider. I could see Russia eventually taking their #2 spot.

Back