When was the last great brawl we had? Are guys getting too skilled?

Just realised, Melendez/Sanchez happened after this fight aswell. That one takes the biscuit.

It's 100% arbitrary. They do ask if the fighter has ever trained boxing or MMA etc, but they don't check up on it. But if the guys starts showing skill in the ring (I've only heard of it in rings) the fight is immediately stopped and the fighter is disqualified.

I watched a few at local bars in the '80's (before MMA existed), and I know a few guys who've competed in them since. A lot of fighters would do the Tank Abbot thing -- drink at the bar, and then go into the ring for a fight. I'm amazed they didn't get sued (maybe they did, but the bars kept dong the events so they would have won the cases), must have had pretty good release forms.

Reminds me of that awesome scene in the first X-men movie when we first see Wolverine in the cage fight.

Fy9PU2B.gif

5f066cb0e1163180baa65602657c2cbc7e5ace26r1-360-194_hq.gif

even guys like perry who are considered brawlerish doesnt go too crazy and uses all skills, we need some old school dont give a F type guys again!
Its that most guys aren't willing to gamble with their health as foolishly as the old schoolers. Can't blame them really

No snark, but you could always watch a toughman competition. They don't allow anyone with any fight training to compete, and disqualify fighters who use skilled defense. Some people prefer to watch that, which is why they have those kinds of events.
You know there is such a thing as a technical brawler. Brawling is a fighting style, not every fighter knows how to brawl. So fighters that can brawl use that against fighters that can't. Sometimes you have to brawl with a brawler, that's where technical brawling comes in to play. Brawling is a high pressure style that not every fighter can handle. The fighters that don't handle forward pressure fighters well or don't have a strong inside game, are also at a disadvantage vs technical brawlers.

Fighting intelligently and with good defense is a big part of fight skill. You learn offense and defense simultaneously, I don't think its nearly as easy to separate the two as you suggest.

As you initially pointed out yourself, increasing skills means less brawls. So to get brawls you need to curtail skill. I suspect you're asking for a half-way point between completely unskilled and good skills, but that won't be very successful today (it'll generally though not always lose to fighters with good skills). And it's much easier for an organization to ban all skills than to try to arbitrarily introduce a cut-off level of skill.
Wrong, people just don't understand technical brawling. That's why certain fighters fold to that style. There's more to fighting than the basic techniques and strategies.

Wasn’t Thiago Santos vs Jimi Manuwa pretty much a full on brawl with swinging for the fences?

<{JustBleed}>

Wait that was in december 2018... Time flies :eek:

Edit. Anyway here’s a gif

3Nple.gif

I've never watched a toughman event but how do they determine if a fighter is using 'skilled defense' to DQ them? Seems arbitrary as fuck
He's comparing untrained toughman competition vs UFC fighters that choose to brawl technically and thinking they are not skilled - you should ignore his input.

Weili vs Joanna
Figgy vs Moreno

Good examples of standing and banging. Not sure about Izzy and Gastalum....typo?
Hmm.. fair enough, i wasn't sure if i should edit it out afterwards or not as well.

And thankfully so but I think ts just wants to see people stand and trade hooks in the pocket is what I'm guessing
Yeah maybe.

Personally i'm happy with the way things are progressing as well in most weightclasses.

Its that most guys aren't willing to gamble with their health as foolishly as the old schoolers. Can't blame them really
Different mentality, different style of fighters. Could also be the teaching style they learned from. If you learn from a point fighting style trainer/coaches, their fighting style will reflect that.

He's comparing untrained toughman competition vs UFC fighters that choose to brawl technically and thinking they are not skilled - you should ignore his input.
I felt he was being solutions oriented. If you want to watch brawls they exist you may just have to look outside the UFC.

Technique can only do so much to mitigate a lack of natural power.
That's why you work on power. Most just give up or don't know how to properly work punching power. I've heard the same thing about how you can't work punching power from almost everyone. I've seen how people train or don't train their punching power, and I can see why the majority thinks that is the case.

I felt he was being solutions oriented. If you want to watch brawls they exist you may just have to look outside the UFC.
The thing is he used brawling as a way to undermine the skill set of the fighters that choose to use it in the UFC, so he opted to suggest watching untrained people fight on some toughman competition. He doesn't understand there is such a thing as technical brawling and the fighters that use it do so purposely. They understand it's a weakness in certain fighters style and they can't handle the pressure, volume, intensity of it. Max, Dustin, Gaethje, etc use a technical brawling style, and most of their fights are like that. So there are a lot of technical brawling fights in the UFC.

Back