When was the last great brawl we had? Are guys getting too skilled?

Rockman14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Fy9PU2B.gif

5f066cb0e1163180baa65602657c2cbc7e5ace26r1-360-194_hq.gif

even guys like perry who are considered brawlerish doesnt go too crazy and uses all skills, we need some old school dont give a F type guys again!

Fy9PU2B.gif

even guys like perry who are considered brawlerish doesnt go too crazy and uses all skills, we need some old school dont give a F type guys again!

No snark, but you could always watch a toughman competition. They don't allow anyone with any fight training to compete, and disqualify fighters who use skilled defense. Some people prefer to watch that, which is why they have those kinds of events.

Izzy vs Gas
Weili vs Joanna
Figgy vs Moreno

...all have been fireworks, i think we'll always see fights like that here and there, though these absolute sloppy brawls you've mentioned seem to become a thing of the past, TS.

There will always be those,but it has to do with the matchmaking too. Also many of the great brawlers of the past are nearing the end or already gone.

Yea but its not the same, brian and wandy are skilled, it makes a difference.

Fighting intelligently and with good defense is a big part of fight skill. You learn offense and defense simultaneously, I don't think its nearly as easy to separate the two as you suggest.

As you initially pointed out yourself, increasing skills means less brawls. So to get brawls you need to curtail skill. I suspect you're asking for a half-way point between completely unskilled and good skills, but that won't be very successful today (it'll generally though not always lose to fighters with good skills). And it's much easier for an organization to ban all skills than to try to arbitrarily introduce a cut-off level of skill.

No snark, but you could always watch a toughman competition. They don't allow anyone with any fight training to compete, and disqualify fighters who use skilled defense. Some people prefer to watch that, which is why they have those kinds of events.
I've never watched a toughman event but how do they determine if a fighter is using 'skilled defense' to DQ them? Seems arbitrary as fuck

I've never watched a toughman event but how do they determine if a fighter is using 'skilled defense' to DQ them? Seems arbitrary as fuck

It's 100% arbitrary. They do ask if the fighter has ever trained boxing or MMA etc, but they don't check up on it. But if the guys starts showing skill in the ring (I've only heard of it in rings) the fight is immediately stopped and the fighter is disqualified.

I watched a few at local bars in the '80's (before MMA existed), and I know a few guys who've competed in them since. A lot of fighters would do the Tank Abbot thing -- drink at the bar, and then go into the ring for a fight. I'm amazed they didn't get sued (maybe they did, but the bars kept dong the events so they would have won the cases), must have had pretty good release forms.

Izzy vs Gas
Weili vs Joanna
Figgy vs Moreno

...all have been fireworks, i think we'll always see fights like that here and there, though these absolute sloppy brawls you've mentioned seem to become a thing of the past, TS.

Weili vs Joanna
Figgy vs Moreno

Good examples of standing and banging. Not sure about Izzy and Gastalum....typo?

It's 100% arbitrary. They do ask if the fighter has ever trained boxing or MMA etc, but they don't check up on it. But if the guys starts showing skill in the ring (I've only heard of it in rings) the fight is immediately stopped and the fighter is disqualified.
That's wild lol. So if you are showing promise in a toughman contest, best to sandbag a bit so you don't tip your hand.

Izzy vs Gas
Weili vs Joanna
Figgy vs Moreno

And thankfully so but I think ts just wants to see people stand and trade hooks in the pocket is what I'm guessing

That's wild lol. So if you are showing promise in a toughman contest, best to sandbag a bit so you don't tip your hand.

I suspect that was definitely part of it. Some of them had $1000 prizes for the guy who won the tournament, must have been a few boxers who worked out how to fake being clumsy enough not to get disqualified.

Back