When Referees Try To Be Heroes

The main event stoppage was pathetic, the last 4 or 5 punches didn't even connect properly. Think about all the months of hard work and dedication just to get it taken away by a poor decision. I feel bad for TJ and I don't even particularly care about his fights.

And then the ref lets TJ take a few more bombs on the mat and has thousands of people bitching about all of the unnecessary damage he took.

The ref did fine, let it go.

We've seen fighters come back from the brink of death to win and other times fighters go on to take prolonged life-shortening beatings. Your fate is left in the hands of the ref. It's not always consistent; hell, the 2 examples used in this topic involve the same ref.

Protip: don't get rocked

'Em Titles...
U9UOdRX.gif

It is their first job, but TJ was dazed and not unconscious. With your vanilla definition you can stop a fight after the first strike is landed "to protect the fighter."

It's not just about whether he's conscious, it's also whether he is mounting or is realistically able to mount an intelligent or effective defense.

Similar to the JDS/Tuivasa stoppage, if the ref doesn't step in, the beating is likely to continue.

From a Referee's point of view, when it's a 50/50 situation for the stoppage

a) Stop and be accused of an early stoppage, a bit of whinging for a few weeks, then everyone forgets

b) Err on letting it go longer, fighter gets seriously injured, possibly career ending. Get accused of late stoppage, get investigated, possible sued, possible loss license and job etc

So the consequences of stopping late are far more severe for a referee, so they will err on early stoppages, it's human nature

we should just stop these convos. refs will be stopping fights earlier and earlier. was it a bad stoppage? maybe.. could tj have continued? absolutely? did he stop defending himself intelligently? no. will this change anything? no

those that like tj will mostly say it was a shit stoppage. it seems like most ppl here hate tj, so they justify the stoppage. objectively, it was a premature stoppage, but nothing we havent seen before. i dont care about tj, i like watching him fight, but i wanted cejudo to win.

I swear most fans would rather see a Frank Mir vs Carwin situation then a maybe a bit early stoppage

BCHY5TH.gif

Not comparable at all. Frank is literally not even moving or defending.

If the fighter is still moving, then let them fucking fight.

Back